User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i recently bought a set of 4500k apexcones to install. I did a little looking around and it seems pretty straight forward. The one thing I am a little confused about is an after market wiring harness. Is this something I need, something I should do, or is it one of those do it if you want kind of deals. I can get all the stuff here and install it myself, I'm just really not sure if I need one.

Obviously I would like to make this project go nice and smooth, but I will take the extra time to make sure my car stays nice and I don't hurt anything. If anyone could shed a little light on this that would be great.

My car Domain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 AM

It is highly recommended to use an aftermarket harness because the factory wiring harness wasn't designed to handle the large current draw when you first turn on the HID's. At start up, the current draw can be up to 15 amps for each ballast and if they are tied into the same power wire, it can add up to 25 to 30 amps total. For 15 amps, the ballast wires need to be 14 AWG and for 30 amps, the wire needs to be 12 AWG. Once the HID capsules reach operating load, the current draw will drop down to 4 to 5 amps, which is less than halogen.

If you use the factory harness, the headlight fuses will blow because they are only 10 amp fuses. If you replace them with larger fuses, then you have to worry about drawing more current than what the factory wires can handle. If it draws too much, over time the wire's resistance will increase, thereby increasing heat in the wires and eventually melting it.

Remember, it is not just the (+) wires that need to be larger, the (-) wires / ground must also be larger.

Also, use an appropriate relay to trigger the power to the HID's (typically 5-pin Bosch type).

Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Matt60158
Quote:
It is highly recommended to use an aftermarket harness because the factory wiring harness wasn't designed to handle the large current draw when you first turn on the HID's. At start up, the current draw can be up to 15 amps for each ballast and if they are tied into the same power wire, it can add up to 25 to 30 amps total. For 15 amps, the ballast wires need to be 14 AWG and for 30 amps, the wire needs to be 12 AWG. Once the HID capsules reach operating load, the current draw will drop down to 4 to 5 amps, which is less than halogen.

If you use the factory harness, the headlight fuses will blow because they are only 10 amp fuses. If you replace them with larger fuses, then you have to worry about drawing more current than what the factory wires can handle. If it draws too much, over time the wire's resistance will increase, thereby increasing heat in the wires and eventually melting it.

Remember, it is not just the (+) wires that need to be larger, the (-) wires / ground must also be larger.

Also, use an appropriate relay to trigger the power to the HID's (typically 5-pin Bosch type).
[/b]

Good points, electrical engineer perhaps?

2004 Lapis Blue with a few bolt on's. Everytime you make it home to the garage and close that door it's like a fresh start the next day...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:49 AM
awh

thanks alot - i really needed this info as well.

My Velocity6 Car Domain Page -
not updated.....

My Mods : CP-E Single CBE w/ Muffler Welded In, TurboXS TP, CP-E CAI w/ Hydro Shield & Wheel Well Splash Mod, Speedie TIP, Denso Spark Plugs, CP-E Rear Engine Mount, RPM Sport Springs, CorkSport Shock Brace, Whiteline RSB, HKS BOV, TT & CP-E Diff Mounts, TT Front Engine Mount, Cobb Shifter Weight, Vent Pod w/ VEI Boost Gauge, Hardwired Beltronics RX65, Blinder Laser Jammer (ask about install), Hardwired Audiolink & Garmin Nuvi 760 in Map Pocket, Hardwired Scan Gauge II in Sunglass Holder, Bose Pre-Amp, HID Fogs, Smoked Rear Reflectors w/LEDs, Side Markers Tinted w/Film, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, Redline Hood Struts, TWM Shift Knob & Shifter Bushings,Winter Set Up - 225 Pirelli Sottozeros on White Powder Coated OEM Rims, Summer Set Up - 225 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics on Konig Troubles, Fluids (Royal Purple 5w30, Redline 75w90 in the Differential, Redline MT-90 75w90 in the Transmission, Amsoil 80w90 in the Transfer Case)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to dabears2k Send a message via MSN to dabears2k
Quote:

[/b]
That's great technical info, but then there is real-world info.

There are many people that have been running HID's for over 2 years (myself included; in fact, I have 2 sets of HIDs) without any problems. I personally would not spend the money for a harness, the car handles a 35w HID kit just fine with no issues. A harness helps them start up faster (by about 1-2 seconds) but other than that provides no value at all.

"We have no words for speaking of wisdom to the stupid. He who understands the wise is wise already."
-G.C. Lichtenberg
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 12:47 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Do we have any actual reported cases of stock wiring failing because of HID's? I don't remember ever reading about one, but IMO I'd probably spring the $40 for peace of mind...

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 03:22 PM

Im using a aftermarket harness from RPM.... Just for the reason that you never know down the road!!! For the extra 40 dollars you get piece of mind, and the harness wiring is alot bigger and more heavy duty then the stock wiring! Here is some pics of the aftermarket wiring on my install!
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59928

2004 Mazda6 GT V6
[b]Mods: CPE Engine mount, Razo GT Spec pedals footrest shift plate, Compustar 2W8000AS two way alarm, chrome factory taillights, shark fin, Xtec HID 5000k, clear corners, 20% solar gard tint, 18X7.5 MSR Rims, Kartboy exhaust hangers, Optima Yellow Top Battery, Piaa P1 driving lights, BR front lip, Alpine sound system, Mazdaspeed carbon plate, Mazdaspeed cat-back exhaust, Mazdaspeed shortshifter, Mazdaspeed performance springs, Mazdaspeed CAI...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1low6
i have the 8000K McCulloch HID's on my 6 with a stock harness and ive never had a problem. i had HID's on my last car as well with a stock harness and never once had a proble. i personally wouldnt spend the money on the harness.

2003 mazda 6s mtx:H&R sport springs:18" bronze Work Emotion Cr Kai wheels:Work Wheels blue lug nuts:225/40-18 toyo proxes4 tires:Exedy stage 1 clutch:Cp-e motor mount:Black Racing front lip:Mazdaspeed short shifter:TWM Performance shift knob:Racing Beat front and rear sway bars: Racing Beat rear end links:AWR Racing front end links:Racing Beat exhaust:McCulloch 8000K HID's
DM slim ballast yellow HID's for fog lights:Tein hood dampers:Zex nitrous system:Air box mod:Silvia parts front grill and eyelids:Metra kit with kenwood deck:Morel hybrid innovation 6.5" components:Zapco REF350.2 amp:Treo tsx 12" sub:Playstation 2 under the seat:7" lcd screen in the map compartment:25% tint
e badged:removed door moldings

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
hmmmm.. nobody really knows how our car will withstand the high amperage startup from the ballast, it might be the fact that Euro-spec 6 has stock xenon and thus PNP retrofit, and MAYBE they didnt change the wiring as well...

for that 40 bucks, i wouldnt risk melting the stock harness, and IIRC, it costs at least 10 times than buying a harness, if you want to risk it, go ahead, but i m not a risk taker myself, especially when it comes to my 6. just my 0.02

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Well I have all the parts together to assemble the harness, so I guess I will do it. Like I said before I will spend the money if it will protect the car.
Now comes the fun part of putting the harness together and installing everything. I plan to start this project tuesday after work. I will do my best to take some pics of what I got and how I connected everything together. I have to warn you though, I take terrible pictures.

If anyone has a picture of a harness they built that would be sweet, otherwise I will just figure it out as I go along.

My car Domain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page