HIDS need wiring harness? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
Hidplanet forum

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Using a separate harness is just cheap insurance. It may take many years for problems to show up when overloading the stock wires, depending on the gauge used from the factory. Many owners may not see problems for the length of ownership of the car. After all, you are only overloading it for a short period of time (only during start up) and so the heat that is generated is also brief. It does not continuously overload the wires like high wattage halogen bulbs. But over time, the resistance of the wires can increase due to overload, which perpetuates the heat problem.

If you plan on keeping your car for many years, you may see the problems arise later on.

Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for.

Looking on there I have a good feeling. When I set everything out last night and went throught it in my head that is close to what I had come up with. I hope I can make mine turn out as clean as his. That stuff will blend right in to the stock wiring. Thanks again.

My car Domain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
That's great technical info, but then there is real-world info.

There are many people that have been running HID's for over 2 years (myself included; in fact, I have 2 sets of HIDs) without any problems. I personally would not spend the money for a harness, the car handles a 35w HID kit just fine with no issues. A harness helps them start up faster (by about 1-2 seconds) but other than that provides no value at all.
[/b]

Quote:
i have the 8000K McCulloch HID's on my 6 with a stock harness and ive never had a problem. i had HID's on my last car as well with a stock harness and never once had a proble. i personally wouldnt spend the money on the harness.
[/b]

Not only does it protect the factory headlight circuit, but it also helps to extend the life of the HID ballast. Ballast will last longer if they dont have to struggle on intial start up. <--- only time will tell.

HID should last the life time of the vehicle- depending on the quality of the parts. If it doesnt or prematurely fails, then you&#39;ll know.

Mazda 6s GT MTX | Steel Grey Metallic
Magnaflow Exhaust | ECE HID Retrofit | Eibach Sportlines | RX8 18's
Pioneer | Focal | Mosconi | Hertz

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM

1 more side note, aftermarket ballast fail prematurely than OEM ballast.

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1low6
Quote:
Not only does it protect the factory headlight circuit, but it also helps to extend the life of the HID ballast. Ballast will last longer if they dont have to struggle on intial start up. <--- only time will tell.

HID should last the life time of the vehicle- depending on the quality of the parts. If it doesnt or prematurely fails, then you&#39;ll know.
[/b]

actually HID&#39;s are estimated to last 2000 - 3000 hours depending on the manufacturer. alot of people believe they are sapose to last the life of the car, but they dont. i see a fair amount of vehicles with stock HID&#39;s that have one burnt out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 mazda 6s mtx:H&R sport springs:18" bronze Work Emotion Cr Kai wheels:Work Wheels blue lug nuts:225/40-18 toyo proxes4 tires:Exedy stage 1 clutch:Cp-e motor mount:Black Racing front lip:Mazdaspeed short shifter:TWM Performance shift knob:Racing Beat front and rear sway bars: Racing Beat rear end links:AWR Racing front end links:Racing Beat exhaust:McCulloch 8000K HID&#39;s
DM slim ballast yellow HID&#39;s for fog lights:Tein hood dampers:Zex nitrous system:Air box mod:Silvia parts front grill and eyelids:Metra kit with kenwood deck:Morel hybrid innovation 6.5" components:Zapco REF350.2 amp:Treo tsx 12" sub:Playstation 2 under the seat:7" lcd screen in the map compartment:25% tint
e badged:removed door moldings

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
actually HID&#39;s are estimated to last 2000 - 3000 hours depending on the manufacturer. alot of people believe they are sapose to last the life of the car, but they dont. i see a fair amount of vehicles with stock HID&#39;s that have one burnt out.
[/b]
good point, but that only for the bulbs only.... no bulbs will last forever... philips/osram D1/2R/S (or even D4R/S) bulbs have lifespan of 2000 hours... with colorshift at ~200hours.. aftermarket ones prob, we&#39;re looking at 1000-1500 hours of lifespan or less... OEM ballast (w or w/o ignitor) will last very long as long as you remember the 3 rules : never turn HIDs on 3 times/hour, never turn it off then on before the bulbs cool down, NO WATER !!! there are some other rules, but these are the more important ones IMO.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
[/b]

So your telling me you car is gonna last 3000+ hours of night driving? Thats a whole lotta miles.

Lets say the avearge car last 200,000 miles. How many mile of that driving was at night? How many hours coud that have been?

Oh and this is assuming you only use your low beam HID for night driving and not as DRL.

Lets say average highway speed at 65 miles per hour all at night with lights on. 2000 hours of night driving at 65 MPH is about 130,000 miles.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hoho
i dont think miles is an accurate way of measuring the life span of HIDs.

for a 2000~ hours life

let&#39;s say u drive an avg of 1.5 hour during night time per day (and this is EVERYDAY we are talking about, and that&#39;s a lot), it would come to about 4years or so?

but that&#39;s assuming you drive that much each night every night.

2003 Mazda6 S V6 soon to be 3.5L
Injen CAI / CPE MAF Customizer for Injen / Optimized TB / MSDS Headers / A'PEXi WS2 Catback Exhaust / Kenstyle Front and Sides / ViS CF Hood / Eibach Pro Kit 1.5/1.4 Lowering Springs / Work VS-XX 3-Piece Wheels

Coming soon: big bore motor, diamond pistons, k1 rods, awr mounts, brembo gt bbk, ground control suspension, autoexe rear strut brace, racingbeat rear sway bar.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM

Yeah true

but still a $40 harness isnt bad insurance. Or you can make your own for like $10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page