Trying to figure out a problem. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to warpedexistence
A couple days ago i did the headlight tinting mod as outlined on the 6tech website. It came out great, everything looks spectacular. Tonight when i got out of class it was pouring. So i get to my car and about halfway home i notice that one of my headlights is out. I had my headlights on during my trip to school but wasn't really paying attention as to if they were both on or not. All the other lights in that housing are fine (hi-beam, parking, and turn signal) and there doesn't seem to be any water accumulation in the housing it's self. Did my bulb just burn out? Or could my sealing of the housing be faulty and the rain has cause the bulb to malfunction? I have crappy bulbs in it, which will remain nameless, and i really wasn't expecting much as far as life span. I did however replace all the bulbs at the same time so it would be a bit odd for only one to wear out from normal use. Any ideas?

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:59 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
1) Replacing bulbs with those wanna be ultra super bright white bulbs are horrible...though they do increase output by like .2% it doesnt make sense to keep replacing them.

2) It could also be the fuse. Take look under the fuse bux under the hood and check to see if you blew a fuse.

3) If the fuses are good than try swapping the bulb from one headlight to the other....

other than that i dont know what to tell you bud, except post some pics of your new smoked out housing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
1) Replacing bulbs with those wanna be ultra super bright white bulbs are horrible...though they do increase output by like .2% it doesnt make sense to keep replacing them.

2) It could also be the fuse. Take look under the fuse bux under the hood and check to see if you blew a fuse.

3) If the fuses are good than try swapping the bulb from one headlight to the other....

other than that i dont know what to tell you bud, except post some pics of your new smoked out housing!
[/b]
Thanks for the response. Tomorrow i'll check everything out. I had bought the bulbs and installed them before i even found this website. It was actually the reason i looked for this website. Mazda wanted $75 dollars in labor to change one bulb, i ended up getting a shop to do it and having to shell out 210 for all 4. I know i know i got shafted but with out this site as a resource and the only instructions being "consult a mazda certified technician" in the manual, i wasn't sure what other options i had. So i claim ignorance about the poor quality of the bulbs.

Here are the pics of the housings, nothing close cause it just looks black anyway.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61143

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:53 AM

looks good and i'll have to admit debears2k is right...def. need a appearance package lol

the rims look nice to by the way...gotta love those RX8's

it realy is easy to get to the bulbs and replace them yourself...use the guides in the sticky..i'm going to say most likely its just that a bulb blew probably...

FS:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM

If it is water getting into the housing and causes the light to malfunction as you put it. Pay attention the next day in the morning see if water vapor built up inside the light housing as this should be the indication if water does get in. If it is clear, then more than likely your light bulb blew coinicidently.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

It's still raining so i guess i'm stuck with my fathers A4 for the day. There is no water vapor or water accumulation in the headlight even after a night of rain so i think i'm golden on the sealing. I'll check it all when it clears up. I should probably get HID's soon.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It's still raining so i guess i'm stuck with my fathers A4 for the day. There is no water vapor or water accumulation in the headlight even after a night of rain so i think i'm golden on the sealing. I'll check it all when it clears up. I should probably get HID's soon.
[/b]

duhh you shoulda just done a Retro while you were in there painting! lol

agreed if there's not condensation which is what i was super scared of while doing the retro than you're more than likely just going to need to replace the bulb. what brand was it if you dont mind me askin, theres alot of people on here that replace silverstar and sylvia bulbs and what not all the time.

My one buddy who has a camry gets new bulbs off e-bay once a month!

FS:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
duhh you shoulda just done a Retro while you were in there painting! lol

agreed if there's not condensation which is what i was super scared of while doing the retro than you're more than likely just going to need to replace the bulb. what brand was it if you dont mind me askin, theres alot of people on here that replace silverstar and sylvia bulbs and what not all the time.

My one buddy who has a camry gets new bulbs off e-bay once a month!
[/b]
Haha it's silverstar, i'm just going to replace them with stock ones. I don't want to pay for more of these bulbs.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:43 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
btw, any of the bulbs in the headlight turned on when you did that? not that it's impossible, it's probably when u bake the headlight, one of the wires got fried.......... NOT 100% sure though... which light doesnt turn on?

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
btw, any of the bulbs in the headlight turned on when you did that? not that it's impossible, it's probably when u bake the headlight, one of the wires got fried.......... NOT 100% sure though... which light doesnt turn on?
[/b]
Every bulb in the drivers side housing(the one with the faulty bulb) worked after the bake. The low-beam H1 is the one that has gone out. If the rain ever freaking stops i'll take care of it. I just think it would be odd for only one bulb in the housing to go if water was getting in there and i want to run it past others to see if someone with more knowledge might be able to shed some light on it. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page