Alternator upgrade or leave it alone - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I plan to run 2000 watts rms which consists of 4 subs, two amps, and I want to put neons under my seats and under the car. I might also add a tv in the top compartment of my 2007 mazda 6 5-door. Do I need to get a stronger alternator? I plan to do the big 3 upgrade and buy an orbit exide battery or a stinger. So could I just do the big 3 and battery or will I need to get a stronger alt put in? Also, if I need a new alternator, what can you recommend me? I don't want to spend more than $200 for the alt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I sold her for a 2013 Dodge Challenger. I'll be back if a MazdaSpeed6 version comes back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I plan to run 2000 watts rms which consists of 4 subs, two amps, and I want to put neons under my seats and under the car. I might also add a tv in the top compartment of my 2007 mazda 6 5-door. Do I need to get a stronger alternator? I plan to do the big 3 upgrade and buy an orbit exide battery or a stinger. So could I just do the big 3 and battery or will I need to get a stronger alt put in? Also, if I need a new alternator, what can you recommend me? I don't want to spend more than $200 for the alt.
[/b]

Just do what you want to do and see if the stock alt can handle it. Your going to pay MUCH more than $200 for an upgraded alt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
You obviously don&#39;t understand digital. Digital is all ones and zero&#39;s. If you have a kink in the cable, because it is made cheaply, then the 0&#39;s, being as they are round, can slip around the kink&#39;s, but the 1&#39;s, having sharp edges, pile up.
No need to look under the hood....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 03:36 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
RPM

try 4x$200 for the alt.. LOL...

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 PM

i think if your running that much power in your car, try a grounding kit first and maybe even a voltage stabilizer. Try running it off of taht. A cheap replaced used alternator will run you 160 bucks, yer nuts for thinkin 200 bucks.. ANy strong aftermarket unused will AT LEAST run you 400-500 for a car.

EDIT" im not saying buy a cheap alternator"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 PM

Im running 2450 watts RMS right now on my stock alt with no BIG 3 done and I have yet to run into a problem..

We dont stop playing cause we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to felix6628 Send a message via MSN to felix6628 Send a message via Yahoo to felix6628
I think ur stock alt should be able to handle it... im running like 1600 watts on mine but i also have a 10 farad hybrid capacitor. Just get a capacitor and a ground kit. I gotta get my ground kit......

2003 Mazda6S ATX Speed Yellow with 19"x8.5 Enkei Rims | yellow streetglow gold series neons(uninstalled/broke) | M Sport front bumber | 5% front 2-3% rear window tint(changed to 30% all around) | 2 OBX Racing mufflers | Angel eye halos | 6000k HID Kit(uninstalled) | bright strobes(uninstalled) | painted engine and fuse covers | AEM Short Ram Air Intake(uninstalled) | painted sum interior pieces | metra dash kit | JVC DVD/CD/3" monitor Head unit | <span style="color:#000099">2 12" JL Audio W6&#39;s with 2 500/1 JL Audio 500 watt amps</span> | custom ported box facing into the car | 10 farad stingers hybrid capacitor | bass control | remote start/alarm | painted brake calipers(need repainting) | 6 Blue 194 6LED bulbs(front and back dome lights and door lights) | ReverseGlow Gauge overlays | B&M Tranny cooler | 3 pod Gauge pod | 3 Gauges: Voltage, Vaccum, and Transmission Temperature Autometer Gauges | 3 Blue 194 6LED bulbs for gauges | CP-e Nontuneable CAI MAFci | Retrofitting of TSX projectors(uninstalled) | New Apexcone HID Kit 8000K D2S bulbs 35W | New EBC Green stuff Brake pads front and rear | New OEM Rotors front and rear | Retrofitting of RDX projectors | 8000K 55W Apexcone HID kit D2S

Upcoming Mods: Extreme front bumper, Retrofitting of FX45 Bi-Xenon projectors

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

I got a 3 farad cap, but I had the same system in my 2001 grand am, but the lights flickered in that car. And I believe my stock amp was 125 amps. I also had an Orbital Exide batt. I want to know that if I decide to push my amp to the limit, that my car won&#39;t go down with it. I have an Infinity 1211a. It runs 1300 watts rms and I have a Jensen that runs 450rms, so I just don&#39;t want any lights to flicker or the factory alt to burn out. I&#39;ll probably just do the big 3 and get a better battery because I&#39;m getting to anxious to put in my system.

I sold her for a 2013 Dodge Challenger. I'll be back if a MazdaSpeed6 version comes back!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 AM

Doing the BIG 3 will help out some, but theres still no need to buy a new HO ALT. If your worried bout your lights flickering then theres not gonna be much you and do bout that even with putting in CAPs.. I did however notice that if you get HID&#39;s you wont have any flickering issues at all or atleast I do have any. The only thing that flickers on mine is the tail lights.

We dont stop playing cause we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Learners License

It depends. Are you going to try to blast your stereo for hours on end? Are you just going to play it loud once in a while? At full crank with the car running, you are drawing ~180 amps. Way more than your alternator can provide. At that piont you are depending on the charge in your battery to keep the stereo going, thus you will run out at some point. More batteries will let you play it longer. A monster alternator will let you play it forever. BTW this is one of the reasons your lights flicker, with the car running you are running on ~14.4 volts, once the alternator power is exceeded you are on battery power, most likely just over 12 volts.
BTW if you are planning to blast your stereo for hours outside MY HOUSE, you will need more than a battery or alternator to keep it going.
Ha, Ha. Peace.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Alright so I went to shop the other day to get prices on the big3 upgrade and the lowest I got was 150 with 0 gauge wiring, good price right??? But their boss said that they aren&#39;t insured under 2007&#39;s. But, they had a red cap optima for 150. The guy said it was 1000 cold cranking amps. Is that enough for 2000 watts rms, with the big 3 upgrade?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page