Does anyone want to do a how-to on soldering? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CLTatenza
Shrink tube wouldnt work too well when soldering the CP-e in because your not cutting the wires, but simply soldering an extra connection onto a solid wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 04:06 PM

I have not got my CP-E MAFCI installed yet but when I do I will try to post some pictures. Maybe a step by step. I am going to solder my wires and install shrink wrap. As an auto technician I have the proper tools to release the pins from the ECU connector. With the pins released you can slip the shrink wrap over the wires. Snap On makes a great set of terminal tools part #TT600 (http://www.snapon.com/) Search TT600. Using shrink wrap makes it feasible to strip a little more insulation from the wires so as not to melt it, and provides a much better installation.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 06:12 PM

shrink wrap could still work. i believe most have heat activated adhesive on the inside so just cut it and then wrap it around. electrical tape comes off entirely too easy on a hot day.

basically what everyone says above. i twist wires together, find a metal sruface to apply pressure from the solder to heat up the wires.. touch the solder to the tip of the soilder iron and the wires at the same time.. it essentially melts and absorbs into the copper wire.

Flux helps this process a LOT. if u mess up, u can use copper weaved tape to remove the solder. use an alcohol brush to get flux off. and heat some shrink wrap to it.

btw, soldering wires and soldering computer boards is the exact same thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AzMz6 Send a message via MSN to AzMz6
don't think shrink wrap would work. because all you need to do is strip off a little of the insulation on the factory wires, put a dab of solder on there, the solder the cpe wire to it. only one wire has to be cut in the harness. and i would keep it that way personally. just ask dabears...i soldered his. and its held upjust fine with electrical tape. you just have to have good shiney solder joints, and wrap them properly. then there is no issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra also is sitting in my garage....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to dabears2k Send a message via MSN to dabears2k
Yup, my cpe wiring is awesome from Tony and I used the same process as he did to help Mazda_gremlyn and Nando6i with their CPE installs

"We have no words for speaking of wisdom to the stupid. He who understands the wise is wise already."
-G.C. Lichtenberg
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 AM
KPierson

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If you use a high quality tape it will not come off when it gets hot. I only use Scotch 33+ ($3.50 a roll) in cars and I have never had any problems with it coming off. I have also never seen heat shrink tubing that is adhesive on the inside.

As already stated, the most important part of sodering wires is to make sure you heat the wire and apply the solder directly to the wire, not to the iron.

As far as stripping the wire, I usually do it one of two ways. If it's a smaller wire I use the strippers to break the insulation and then use the strippers to push the insulation back about 1/2", providing enough room to make a good connection.

If it is a bigger wire then I use the strippers to break the insulation, then remove the stripper and break the insulation again about 1/2" from the first break. This will leave you with a 1/2" long piece of insulation that you can pull off with a pair of pliars. This leaves you a nice exposed area of copper.

Here are some pictures: http://kptechnologies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page