post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
i'm not enitrely sure that this is where this should go, so mods feel free to move it where it needs to be.

my question is how much does it typically cost to replace airbags after they have deployed in the Mazda6? short and sweet, but i would like to know. i used to hear a while back that if your airbags deploy that the car is typically totaled. over the years i have learned differently, but this situation is defenitely leaning more towards the totaled aspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to UCYIMD1
Typically for a car to be totaled is had to be the cost of the damage plus the replacement cost for the airbag to be greater than the current car value...but figure the replacement airbags to be greater than $600 because that is what they go for on ebay
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

both of them deployed. plus...i was leaking oil bad. all the oil i just bought is now on the streets of abilene. a buddy of mine that saw the whole thing from a store on the street said that my rear end looked like it came up while my front end sloped down.

i have a feeling it's going to be totaled. i am going to check it out tomorrow at the wreck yard and see if there is any damage to the frame. i wouldn't doubt it if there is.

like i said...i have heard that a long time ago but have seen serious accidents with bags deployed that weren't totaled. my car is only worth about 15K without the mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Retired Moderator

It's generally older cars that are totaled if the airbags deploy because it's so easy to reach the salvage value of the car. Airbags will run about $1000, so you're looking at a couple grand right there. The biggest factor is whether the frame is bent or not.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

that's what i am kicking myself for. i didn't look at the frame. i was too busy talking to the cops and making sure that the other people were okay. they went to the hospital with a neckbrace and on a stretcher. they were older people. i felt bad, but they pulled out in front of me and there wasn't anything i could do about it.

the paramedics told me that if i hadn't turned the wheel i would have done some serious damage to the driver. IMHO, if the impact was enough to break the seal somewhere for the oil to leak, it's enough to bend the frame. i never got down to look at it, but it looked like it was coming from right underneath the front tires.

just from the airbags, headlights, bumper and hood, i'm thinking it's going to cost at least 5 grand. and that's not including the fenders or what kind of damage caused my oil to leak out. plus the electrical stuff on the front of the car. i'm going to try to go by tomorrow and check it out myself to get a good idea on the total damage.

from seeing some of the pictures of other 6's on the forums that ended up being totaled, mine's right there with them. sucks ass, cause i loved that car. put a lot of time and effort into it. now i just have to play the bullshit insurance game. good thing i have State Farm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
What happened?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

somebody ran a red light and i T-boned him at about 45 mph. paramedics said he was lucky that i cut the wheel like i did or i would have hit the driver and seriously injured him. he was an older man with heart problems. they took him to the hospital, but i'm pretty sure it was just precautionary.

the wreck was strange, cause i saw everything that happened. i saw the look on his face right before and after i hit him. even saw the van spin around and stop facing the opposite direction.

i was running alongside a train, so i had the blinking yellow lights. i came through an intersection in a curve and he was pulling out from his blinking red lights. i guess he didn't even see me before he pulled out. i saw him, cut the wheel and locked the brakes. there wasn't a damn thing i could do but turn the wheel so it didn't hurt him any more than it did. everyone swarmed the accident. in less than 4 minutes there was a fire truck, 2 ambulences, 2 paramedic trucks and 4 cop cars.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:23 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
IMO lets see what insurance says...but its gonna be quite a few thousands to repair...

was the engine still on or did it shut off after the accident?? same thing happend to me with a 98Nissan Sentra a few years back...and that was tottaled...probably a year or two later...the car isnt that much compared ot the 6..but we'll see hope your alright though....hate to see another 6 leave the pack...

FS:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to ReCLaIM Send a message via MSN to ReCLaIM
When I had my wreck.. not in a Mazda btw.. all I saw was a blue door (of the 85 Mercury Grand Marquis I hit)... I dont know how the first thing you see is the ENTIRE passenger side door.. but somehow it happened... and then black.. then heard a POW!' (My head hitting the windshield) then some jingles of parts hitting the ground, then seeing the engine of my Delta 88 Olds still puttering... she was still trying for me.. I loved that car.. she will be missed...

I saw the windshield busted.. and was like.. ohh no.. felt my head.. and everything was together.. not even a scratch on my head.. but my shins had two dents in the bone right below my knee. that was where i hit.. shins then head.. lol.. luckily shins first..

I was very lucky.
My car was sitting like this:
| |
/ /

It was fun.. and my airbags didnt deploy... (see's if anyone catches that)

Cant you just stuff the airbags back in? lol..

03 6s Onyx Black,AEM CAI,Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, B&M Transmission Cooler,Magnafine In-line transmission filter, Blue 4-LED 194's Doors/Maplights, PIAA Extreme White H1 low beams, Brake Light Mod,Side Marker Turn signal mod. Black painted headlights, black console. Leather, heat, Bose.. and nothing else worth mentioning
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

car wouldn't start after the wreck. it was on, then i shut her down. when i tried to crank her up to pull her out of the road it wouldn't even kick over.

i'm defnitely alright. i've been through enough wrecks that it didn't shake me up. i was just worried about the other people. i also hate going through the whole insurance B.S. this will make about the 7th or 8th time total, with none of them being my fault. someone has totaled out just about every car i have owned. i had one for three months, so it lucked out and never saw an accident...until my sister bought it.

i'm thinking if it was bad enough to leak oil it's most defenitely totaled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page