DDE Halos, mounted but not working? Help Plz. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I "hope" I've done something wrong or i'm missing a step (rather than them being broken from the factory). I have the halos installed, glued, set, everything put back together...

Harness is connected in the fuse box off the primary 120a fuse...

Wires from the harness run to each of the headlights an connected to the black box's (ballasts or whatever)... I can only ASSUME that these are connected properly here as they say "GREY" is + and BROWN is -... so i have the GREY wire connected to the red harness wire.. and the BROWN wire connected to the brown harness wire....

From there i'm left with the trigger wire... I've tested this wire to a power supply first before I did any cutting and NOTHING from the halos...

So, i'm stuck and at a point I need some help.. if anyone has an idea of where I can connect this master control wire to test and see if the halos are functioning.... And where exactly is the PARKING lights wire.... There is no BROWN wire from the harness connected to my headlight assembly... There is a BLACK with a brown stripe... or a green with a brown stripe.. thats it...

Anyway questions:

How can i test to see if halos are even working w/o cutting anything?

Where is this wire i'm supposed to tap into for the parking lights?

I'm doing this in a friends garage and I need to have it done by the end of monday.. one way or another.... So please, if anyone has any ideas please post.... I'll answer any questions I can about what I've done or haven't done...

Keep in mind, Speed6 comes with HID's standard, and does not have fog lights in the headlight assembly... And the standard 6 wiring is slightly different than the speed's (during my alarm installed our books on the Mazda 6's listed a lot of wires and colors that don't exist, or at least not in the same locations as on the speed....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 11:07 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
i think it's got nothing to do with the wiring of the speed6, just take out the parking light bulb holder, and there should be 2 wires going to it.. just splice to either one for the trigger IN the headlight and u'r done...

to test them out, just use battery's 12+ for the trigger...

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
i think it's got nothing to do with the wiring of the speed6, just take out the parking light bulb holder, and there should be 2 wires going to it.. just splice to either one for the trigger IN the headlight and u'r done...

to test them out, just use battery's 12+ for the trigger...
[/b]
OK.... everything is connected properly as far as harness and ballasts... and halos.. and such... pretty noob proof considering the male-female connectors on each...

When i ground the extra wire (listed as switch wire in writeup) which is run with the passenger side lines.... i hear a click.... sounds like it engages the switch inside the harness.... and should be supplying power to the halos.. however.. still nothing...

So... I get a click when i ground the wire run with the passenger side lines.... However I'm still left with an extra line from the harness very similar to the one with the passenger lines..... This one does nothing when grounded....

So.... Any ideas on why.. even with the click and grounded wire... i get nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
You should try connecting the DDE inverter (the black box) directly to the battery. This will tell you if there is a problem with the inverter, or if they work, then it could be a problem with the harness. There are two trigger wires.

Are you one of our valued customers? Join The RPM Crew today and help spread the word! --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come check out our website! --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- We have a huge selection of parts for the Mazda 6 and Mazdaspeed 6!

Like us on Facebook for news and discounts! --
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Alright.... here is the situation with help from you guys...

The halos will light with direct power and ground to the battery.... This includes direct DDE inverter connection... or connection with wiring harness.....

The halos will light when getting power from the primary in the fusebox.... and grounded to the battery directly... They will not light when grounded inside the fusebox... I know that neon requires solid grounding (had issues with an underbody kit back in the day).... so I assume this means the fusebox ground is poor? Something I should look into possibly not only to solve this problem but possible future problems?

ANYWAY.... Basically i'm down to needing two final bits of information to finish this job!

A) where exactly can I find the parking light wire for the master switch? Is it INSIDE the headlight housing.. and if so how the hell do you get it? I must assume there is a wire somewhere in the engine bay which connects it... and can be tapped... I just have no idea where to look.... So any help in locating the parking lights for a master switch!

B) Why doesn't the ground in the fuse box work... and what steps could i take to resolve this issue?

I hope someone can help with locating the parking light wire I can tap for the master switch as tomorrow is the last day i'll have the garage... Thanks again for the help guys... Getting closer!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
A) where exactly can I find the parking light wire for the master switch? Is it INSIDE the headlight housing.. and if so how the hell do you get it? I must assume there is a wire somewhere in the engine bay which connects it... and can be tapped... I just have no idea where to look.... So any help in locating the parking lights for a master switch!

B) Why doesn't the ground in the fuse box work... and what steps could i take to resolve this issue? [/b]
A) The easiest wire to use is the power wire leading to the sidemarkers, since they're isolated from the rest of the wiring harness. I believe the power wire is the green wire. This could be tested with a multimeter, but even if you chose the wrong one the first time, it wouldn't hurt anything.

B) I'm really not sure what the problem is here, but it's generally a good practice to ground any accessories directly to the chassis.

Are you one of our valued customers? Join The RPM Crew today and help spread the word! --

Come check out our website! --
-- We have a huge selection of parts for the Mazda 6 and Mazdaspeed 6!

Like us on Facebook for news and discounts! --
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Alrighty! Thanks... Since they "work" its just a matter of finding a way to activate them... and have them grounded... I'll probably end up using the battery for now.... and buying a grounding kit... or having my stereo install people figure out why the ground in the fuse box isn't working for this....

As for the sidemarkers... I'm replacing my front and rear blinker bulbs with clear / white bulbs... since they are somewhat more difficult to see during a bight sunny day (over amber) i'm going to convert the sidemarkers to blinkers as well.... And having my halos blink would be.... interesting...

ANYWAY... thanks for all the help and ideas.... Such a relief to know everything works... Even with a warranty of ANY kind of these parts... having to disassemble the headlights... almost isn't worth it... such a PITA...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:56 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
..... u've baked open ur headlight to install ur dde anyways, so what's so tough about getting into the headlight and splice to the parking light? there are lots of space to use cutter knife...... i dont like to use those quick tap connector... sometimes they dont splice to the wires properly...

negative in the main fuse box?... hmm well yeah at first i thought 1 side is + and the other side is -.. but i guess i was wrong, and i just ground them somewhere else... there are lots of grounding options... just pick one most convenient for u...

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to dabears2k Send a message via MSN to dabears2k
The ground in the fusebox didn't work for me either when I was installing my lower foglight HIDs. I ended up going directly to the battery for ground

"We have no words for speaking of wisdom to the stupid. He who understands the wise is wise already."
-G.C. Lichtenberg
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I had mounted the halos... and reconnected everything.. glued it all back together.. bla bla bla.. by the time I got to testing the wiring...

Anyway everything is up and running... They aren't very bright which is a disappointment... It was raining today.. and my friend.. in his new un-tinted evo couldn't see them while I was tailgating him through town....

I get out to check them... and could barely notice anything standing right beside them...

They look great in a dim garage... or at night (probably... waiting for night to test them).... However no one will see them at night, as you'll get pulled over every 5 seconds driving w/o headlights on.... And with the HID's going.. i HIGHLY doubt you'll see much of anything.... at least not around the HID... possibly around the high beams... anyway i'll have to wait till dark to test all that out....

I think i'm going to disconnect the parking lights wire.. and find a good switch inside the vehicle somewhere... and control them with that.... Assuming they aren't bright enough to be visible.. untill its so dark that you need headlights or you get pulled over.... I'll just have to use them when i'm parked only... or driving around in parking lots... somewhere a cop won't bug me...

Then again, they could be really noticable at night even with HID's goin... so we'll see =)

Thanks again everyone for advice and help on the electrical install...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page