simpler fog light install? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
im goin to install the sport bumper fogs tomorrow and want to see if this works...

simply splice the red power wire from the right fog to the right side marker power wire and left fog to the left side marker power wire and ground the black wires
since im drawing power away from the side markers, is it goin to make both the side markers and fog lights dimmer?

i want the fogs to come on with the parking lights and stay on. i dont care to have the option of turning them off separately. i read the pinned thread on fog lights install and im confused. since i never worked on anything electrical with cars before and i dont want to cut the wrong wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Retired Moderator

Do you have a proper harness for the fogs, i.e. one that incorporates a fuse and a relay?

If you have a relay present, then the power to operate the lights will be drawn from the battery since you'll be wiring the harness to the battery. You only need to provide a signal to the relay to turn on or off. This signal can be provided by the sidemarkers. Since its a low-voltage signal, it shouldn't affect the brightness of the sidemarkers.

VANCOUVER MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR
2004 Mazda6 GT Hatch I4 MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

i have the harness from heronew's gb fogs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to dabears2k Send a message via MSN to dabears2k
BAD IDEA!! There is not enough power there. YOU NEED TO INSTALL THEM PROPERLY

"We have no words for speaking of wisdom to the stupid. He who understands the wise is wise already."
-G.C. Lichtenberg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Retired Moderator

What's a bad idea?

Not enough power where?

VANCOUVER MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR
2004 Mazda6 GT Hatch I4 MTX

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to dabears2k Send a message via MSN to dabears2k
Coming to the sidemarkers. They are powered by a VERY thin wire. You will melt the wire

"We have no words for speaking of wisdom to the stupid. He who understands the wise is wise already."
-G.C. Lichtenberg
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want it to be a simple install still, use some wire from your harness and do this.. although it's not the right way to install them.

Run your neg. to ground somewhere in the engine bay, and take your positive and run it to the fusebox inside by your feet. use #14 i think, its the cig. lighter fuse. You can draw enough power there, and then just have a switch inline with the positive wire and mount it somewhere. you can leave the switch on, and the fogs will come on and off with the car, not with the lights... so you can run ONLY your fogs if you wanted.

Im sure theres other reasons not to do it this way, but thats how I had my fogs setup on my old 6, never had a problem that way other than not using a big enough switch (it would get kinda hot if they were on for some time)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

this is the harness that came with the fogs

what is the blue wire that is circled in white?

can anyone tell me where to connect and splice my wires to the fuse box...
this is a pic from the fog light thread

am i goin to ground the negative wire and stuff the positive in the fog light fuse #15 (green arrow)? and where do i cut the wires if i dont want the switch? i assume after the relay, but what am i goin to do with the black and white wires coming from the relay?(referring back to picture 1 of harness)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Heres how i wired the fogs on the 6i:

(1)Connect positive and ground wires to fog lights
(2)Connect red positive wire to left 10mm bolt in the fuse box
(3)Connect black ground wire to bolt behind fuse box, next to the battery
(4)a. If you want to be able to turn fogs on with switch, strip tip of blue wire and stuff it in with the fog fuse(blue fuse where the arrow is pointing at in the above picture)
b. If you want to be able to turn fogs on with parking lights and switch also, strip tip of blue wire and stuff it in the tail fuse(where the red wire is in the above picture)

I went with option b. I left the switch on just like Axion suggested, and my fogs come on with parking lights and stay on with low and high beam. I hope this simple walk-thru(if u can call it that) helps those who ordered Heronew's fogs, I know it would have helped me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page