Retrofitting your headlights... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chiefy Send a message via MSN to Chiefy
Well, I'm curious to know if any of you would be interested in retrofitting your headlights? That is, replacing your stock headlights w/ xenon projector's. (If you're not quite sure what xenon lights are... It's essentially HID... you know, the bright blue lights you'll see on any newer high-end vehicles, such as Caddy's, BMW's, Audi's, and Acura's, among others...)

I've got a friend who runs www.customlightz.com who can get you set up for under $800 bucks. Most companies, when you include parts a labor, can't touch that. And he does an AWESOME job... it looks OEM when he's done, and it'll light up the road.

Just somethin cool to think about to customize your Mazda6 and give you more lighting at night.. I was going to do that to my Accord before the tranny failed a while back and ended up gettin a CTS that alright has projectors - just not as blue as some of the others at the cutoff line.

Oh, that $800 includes Acura TSX projectors - among the best, more colorful, and brightest out of ANY on the market - and all costs except shipping and installing the headlight units back into your car... they also do some other cool stuff... pretty interesting site, check it out...

Current Rides:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you Camaroman22 from
for making this awesome avatar (I'm still keepin timone around - but all you guys are free to use it!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:30 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
ehmm not trying to hijack the thread or whatever, but JDM mazda6 comes with e46 bosch projector.... and our NA mazda6 have the same layout for the headlight, so if we want to retrofit, we just get the e46 single bosch projector, gen1/2 bosch/AL ballast, and D2S bulbs, and we're done... and for the pricing, i guess it's around 400USD to get all the stuffs up, and install them yourself..... and i know that it might not the best projector than tsx's, but it still suffices...

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
the TSX projectors are better than the E46 projectors? who makes the ones for TSX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:46 AM

TSX projectors are made by Stanley. They do have a nicer cutoff, but it would be a PITA to retrofit because the dimensions are different and so the OEM mounting bracket would have to be ditched or heavily modified. As nice as the Stanley projectors are, I don't think they are worth the aggravation compared to installing the Bosch. Your benefits would not be that much better for all of the work.

Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 AM

that's good to know because i wanted to retrofit my car but didnt really know which projector to choose.

i ended up buying e46, but have not installed it yet.

but yeah it is true that the TSX has a nice cutoff and also nice color! blue violet.

nicer than most car, i can tell a TSX is coming toward me at night just by the "color".

Mazda 6 S 2004
Current Mods: AEM CAI, Silver Painted Calipers, 35% Windows Tint, Rotora Front & Rear Brake Pad, Starter, Low beam Meccatune 8300K, Fog Meccatune 6500K, Tanabe Strut Tower Bar, Grounded Chassis, HC3 Hurricane Voltage Stabilizer, Slotted F&R EBC Rotors, Chrome Clear Tailight, Side Skirt, Custom leather seat, Angel Eyes, Retrofit Bosch Projector, B-Quiet, Luminated Door sills, 18" Motegi DP12 hyperblack

Future (spring 07): Front Sport bumper, Mazdaspeed Springs (not installed), Koni Yellow shocks, engine mount.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Mazda Guru

here's an HID noob question. is the cutoff what provides the HID flicker?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:57 AM

I'll chime in also with a nOOB question:

Is what you're talking about only for the low beams? Are the high beams the standard yellow-ish bulb? Intergated fogs the standard bulb too if one retrofits?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 AM

I think the flicker you see is a combination of the projector, the cutoff and the intensity of lighting. I have not seen halogen projectors (like our OEM setup) create noticeable flicker. They also have a cutoff shield, but they don't flicker like HID's.

You also don't see too much flicker from HID's with reflector-type housings (i.e. previous TL & Maxima models). That's why I think the flicker is generated from a combination of the above.

STSCS, yes this is only for the low beams. The high beams and fog lights are the standard halogen setup.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Mazda Guru

so i'm guessing that with a 35W Xtec kit and the stock projectors i will not be getting much of a noticeable flicker?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
so i'm guessing that with a 35W Xtec kit and the stock projectors i will not be getting much of a noticeable flicker?
[/b]

Not necessarily. You may still get the flicker with HID kits, because you are still using projectors instead of reflectors and the light output should be alot more compared to the halogen. The light may not be as focused compared to an OEM HID setup, but it may still flicker. I haven't messed with or seen the HID kits in person, so you will have to ask one of the other members who has it installed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page