Question on installing an HID kit for 2003 6S - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it okay to lengthen the wires that go from the bulb to the ballast? I did that and sometimes the one that I lengthened does not fire up and I can hear a loud zzzzzzzzz sound coming from the wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to pete13
^^ so yeah that dont sound good at all....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2005) -Steel Metallic Grey- [6i sport 5-door]
mods list:
[x] Viper 791xv [x] Xtec 50watt 5000K race HID kit [ ] Injen intake [ ] Magnaflow Exhaust [x] Tien S Tech Springs [x] 35% Tint
[x]Stubby antenna [x] Black Side Markers
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Is it okay to lengthen the wires that go from the bulb to the ballast? I did that and sometimes the one that I lengthened does not fire up and I can hear a loud zzzzzzzzz sound coming from the wires.
[/b]
you know, maybe its just the ballast going bad, cuz thats the key symptoms of a failing ballast......but splicing in your own extension of wire might have something to do w/ it...not sure

different wire w/ different gauge, should maybe have different resistance, and thus incur a voltage difference? dont take my word for it but im thinking thats maybe the only possible way a wire extension splice could malfunction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to pete13
i agree with howy... think of it as water running through different size hoses... different wires have diferent resistancesa and could in theory (as i have limited electrical experience, so dont take my word for it) cause problems... i JUST installed my 5000k 50watt Xtec HID kit and it buzzes... who knows?

(2005) -Steel Metallic Grey- [6i sport 5-door]
mods list:
[x] Viper 791xv [x] Xtec 50watt 5000K race HID kit [ ] Injen intake [ ] Magnaflow Exhaust [x] Tien S Tech Springs [x] 35% Tint
[x]Stubby antenna [x] Black Side Markers
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:52 AM

I relocated the ballast and souldered the wires back to normal size and now it works. I read on another forum that changing the length of the wires that go from the bulb to the ballast can cause damage to the ballast. It is okay to lengthen the power and ground wires though. I do have a question though. I was originally shipped a ballast that only worked for about a week and then it took a shit on me. The manufacturer sent me a new one and now the color in the bulb does not match the other. It is 6000k and the original working one has a slight bluish tint and on the one that I replaced the ballast, is whiter. Anyone have any ideas why???
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
I relocated the ballast and souldered the wires back to normal size and now it works. I read on another forum that changing the length of the wires that go from the bulb to the ballast can cause damage to the ballast. It is okay to lengthen the power and ground wires though. I do have a question though. I was originally shipped a ballast that only worked for about a week and then it took a shit on me. The manufacturer sent me a new one and now the color in the bulb does not match the other. It is 6000k and the original working one has a slight bluish tint and on the one that I replaced the ballast, is whiter. Anyone have any ideas why???
[/b]
Difference in HID color is bulb dependent, not ballast. If you used the side with the good ballast while the other side was bad, that time probably color shifted the working ballast side more than the other.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:45 PM

no i kinda have the same experience, except when my ballast started to go bad, it recovered so now im still driving around w/ it. but the side that the ballast started to go bad on, has a slight difference in color temp, like 4500k, with the normal light at 5000k, the color i bought.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

OK, so I spent 3 hours today doing the following:

New oil - Mobil 1 5W-30
New oil filter - OEM filter
New HIDs - Helios H1 6,000K

Pictures!

But then I couldn't figure out how to get the front bumper back on

Just kidding! End result = Helios HID, Luminics JDM Yellow H3 fogs, 194 inverted white LEDs for parking light!

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
good job !! but holding up the car using floor jack is really NOT recommended.. !!

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
good job !! but holding up the car using floor jack is really NOT recommended.. !!
[/b]
At college and way from tools at home = make do with ghetto tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page