FINALLY done with my retro & w/dust cap compilation too - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
so the ECE's provide more color at the cutoff and a little more light than DOT? and DOT is pretty much different in the amount of light output, and the fact that the light tends to shine upwards more than ECE?
[/b]

For the Bosch E46 projectors, they do not have that much color in stock format for either the ECE or DOT. But they can be modded (by bending the cutoff shield) to add more color. When modding it, the ECE can show more color due to the larger step in the cutoff. In terms of light output, I believe the ECE projector does have more light output (below the cutoff) than DOT (for the Bosch E46 that is). But above the cutoff, the DOT has more light output, which is good for the driver because they can see the overhead signs, but maybe not so good for the oncoming traffic.

Generally speaking, I don't think you can say that ECE has more color than DOT because the TSX, TL, and S2000 (I believe all Stanley / Koito projectors) have alot of color. They also have really sharp cutoffs too.
In terms of light output, the ECE will have less light output above the cutoff. Depending on the projector you are talking about, the ECE MIGHT have more light output below the cutoff. The reason I say MIGHT is because I have only seen 2 ECE projectors (Bosch and Valeo).

Alan

Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Well, from what I've seen, as far as the Bosch E46 projectors go, ECE definitely has more color, and more output. Of course I'm not comparing them to any S2000 or TSX projectors as those are totally different, apples to oranges there. Tons of members of HIDPlanet swear by the S2000 projectors, but they won't easily fit into the 6. But Bosch E46 DOT vs Bosch E46 ECE, ECE for the win.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Well, from what I've seen, as far as the Bosch E46 projectors go, ECE definitely has more color, and more output. Of course I'm not comparing them to any S2000 or TSX projectors as those are totally different, apples to oranges there. Tons of members of HIDPlanet swear by the S2000 projectors, but they won't easily fit into the 6. But Bosch E46 DOT vs Bosch E46 ECE, ECE for the win.
[/b]
You got that right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 04:02 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
just before i did my retro, i talked to an admin in hidplanet about GB for the bosch package... i believe it's 100bucks cheaper if we have 10 or something.... but i guess it's non doable anymore since they are in high demand right now....

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #55 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
Quote:
just before i did my retro, i talked to an admin in hidplanet about GB for the bosch package... i believe it's 100bucks cheaper if we have 10 or something.... but i guess it's non doable anymore since they are in high demand right now....
[/b]
aw man, you just got my hopes up. was the GB for a pair of ten, or ten all together? cause i'm seriously considering HID, and i'm leaning more towards the retro than the HID kit.
post #56 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Shit.. Ballasts are back in stock at hidplanet if anyone's interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #57 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:57 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
And here's my DOT projector with philips 85122 4300K new bulbs and washer mods too... (2x#8 washers per leg) and a little bit of shield bending.... it's kinda crappy, i was outside waiting for my friend, and took this picture ~25' and taken using Sony Ericsson S700i 1.3MegaPixel camera with a little bit of zoom.

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #58 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I really wish someone could show me a HID vs. non-HID lighting picture. I'm just wondering what the differences in the lighting are and how good the HID coverage is (and I'm very concerned about that sharp cutoff limiting effective light and effective lighting range).
[/b]
This is a good comparison between Halogen vs. HID. The following shows the stock halogen lighting on an NSX vs. an HID retrofit.

Stock:

Retrofit:

post #59 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to ZoomZoom Diva
Quote:
so your saying your halogens light up the ditches?
[/b]
No, the lights that they put on this car SUCK. I see no point or reason to projector beam lights. However, my SVT Contour (double reflector) had awesome headlights (especially with Solaris bulbs) with critter lights (driving lamps) placed and aimed properly to light up the ditches beautifully.

Thank you for the pics, Cornholio... I think it leaves me right where Rox said... I need to find a way to get an HID equipped car out in BFE to really evaluate the headlights without light pollution. The RX-8, TL, and Mazdaspeed6 were all in daytime or highly lit areas.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity is fatal. - Alexandra Ripley

James Oerichbauer
The Boys:
Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red

Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible, Harbor Blue
post #60 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
i don't see how the picture above doesn't help you decide.

have you ever drove down the road next to or behind a car that is equipped with HID? if they are close behind, i notice that the HID tends to drone out my headlights on the ground or will light up a part of the road that my headlights don't seem to reach.

i can understand where you are coming from in saying that you want to see it in person with your own eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page