FINALLY done with my retro & w/dust cap compilation too - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Yes, you are right, I will have to cut 1 hole and that will be for the rectangular window underneath the headlamp, where the ballast will go. I will be using the Bosch / AL Ballast, same as t_mo_t and robinlb used. But I will not drill any other holes in the housing to run the power from a new harness.

Alan
[/b]

Gotcha. Good luck.

Mazda 6s GT MTX | Steel Grey Metallic
Magnaflow Exhaust | ECE HID Retrofit | Eibach Sportlines | RX8 18's
Pioneer | Focal | Mosconi | Hertz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
You shoulda painted those bezels while you were in there!

Looking forward to the pics of the wiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:33 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to ZoomZoom Diva
I really wish someone could show me a HID vs. non-HID lighting picture. I'm just wondering what the differences in the lighting are and how good the HID coverage is (and I'm very concerned about that sharp cutoff limiting effective light and effective lighting range).

I'm just not comfortable dumping the several hundred dollars on them without knowing what I'm getting for it. I've tried test driving cars around here, but with all the light pollution, I can't tell the difference.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity is fatal. - Alexandra Ripley

James Oerichbauer
The Boys:
Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible, Harbor Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I really wish someone could show me a HID vs. non-HID lighting picture. I'm just wondering what the differences in the lighting are and how good the HID coverage is (and I'm very concerned about that sharp cutoff limiting effective light and effective lighting range).

I'm just not comfortable dumping the several hundred dollars on them without knowing what I'm getting for it. I've tried test driving cars around here, but with all the light pollution, I can't tell the difference.
[/b]
As far as a comparison shot, you will have to search around. Try looking around on www.hidplanet.com/forums to get an idea. The sharp cutoff does not limit the effective light or range. The sharp cutoff is there to keep you from blinding oncoming traffic, while maintaining a bright light so you can see clearly in the dark. If you are new to HID lights, there is alot of information to take in, such as the different types of cutoff shields, bulb types, projector types, and jargon. If you have the time, read through the FAQ on HID Planet or on FAQ HID

I agree, you should not feel comfortable dumping hundreds of $$$ on something that you are not familiar with. I know I wouldn't be comfortable either. If you educate yourself on it, then you can determine if an HID retrofit is something you want to do or not. And by researching, it can keep you from spending more money than necessary.

Cheers.

Alan

Teamwork is essential. It gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.
post #35 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
so what was different from the retro that t_mo_t and robinlb did?
post #36 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:13 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
They used DOT spec projectors, as opposed to ECE spec projectors used here. The ECE are used in the M3, I believe, while the DOT specs are used in regular 3 series Bimmers. The difference in color is the main difference. The ECE-spec give much more of the colorshifting at the cutoff.

post #37 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:08 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
Quote:
They used DOT spec projectors, as opposed to ECE spec projectors used here. The ECE are used in the M3, I believe, while the DOT specs are used in regular 3 series Bimmers. The difference in color is the main difference. The ECE-spec give much more of the colorshifting at the cutoff.
[/b]
yeah, mine is really OEM for the mazda6 in europe and 06 mazda6... yeah i m thinking of getting the ECE lens myself... oh and btw, i think m3 is using the bi-xenon if i m not mistaken....

but those are really good cutoff !!! gotta love it.. and there's a guy in TO6club whom i helped with his ECE retro... his output looks good too.. although he didnt washer mod, but he bent his shield and got a nice sharp blue cutoff... oh and, although the ignitor is inside and everything, i also had to drill a hole on the dustcap for the wiring harness... other than that, all the wires go inside the headlight... it should be fine without the wiring harness, but i just want to be on the safe side.

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #38 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
so what's the difference between ECE and DOT?

i'm guessing the DOT and ECE are pretty much the same, just approved by different commissions?
post #39 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:24 PM
RoX

Groans: 1
Send a message via MSN to RoX
Honestly, no picture does it justice.. all you see is a diference in color especially since the camera will adjust exposure to reduce brigthness since it seems too bright. My suggestion would be to find somone with projectors and get in their car and see for yourself. I was in my cousins acura TL and man that thing shines like no other. You dont think that your stock 6 has a "yellow" light until you sit behind the wheel of that thing. Its BRIGHT.

04' Mazda6 V6 MTX: | CP-E Intake and Maf Customizer | Clear side markers | Sports Grille | Polyurethane Eyelids | Mazdaspeed Short throw shifter | Mazdaspeed Springs | Tinted (22% all around) | Debadged | BR lip | Wheels(enkei evo6)
post #40 of 191 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Retired Moderator

My E46 retrofit will be using the XTEC D2S kit with 4500K bulbs. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

VANCOUVER MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR
2004 Mazda6 GT Hatch I4 MTX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page