Help!! Need a high performance alternator. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to spiky3480
Ok so here's the deal...brought the car into the shop to check why my car keeps dying on me even with new batteries...turns out my alternator can not support all of the crap I have installed in the car. The price I got on a beefy alternator (custom) is 800....I totally can not afford that...so basically I cant have two things on at the same time in the car or the voltage drops tremendously and it runs off of the battery, hence the reason for its failure. Does anyone know of a place that beefs up our alternator, or have another installed in their car to support a ton of power?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to DRAGONS6 Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGONS6
A while ago PhatalOne was looking into this. If hes still on the boards I'd PM him about it.

64 mods (so far) Too much money spent

6 of the month on eastcoast6.com March 2005 NH01

(better pics)
and check out myspace

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A while ago PhatalOne was looking into this. If hes still on the boards I'd PM him about it.
[/b]
I'll see if I can locate him...thanks man.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Mazda Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Mazda Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda Gremlyn
spiky, I'm sorry to say unless you're willing/capable of going the whole nine yards when you modify something, you shouldn't be doing it. I'm sure there are alternators out there to meet your needs, but you'll still have to pay a pretty penny for it. Good luck in your search however!

2004 Mazda6s MTX: Gone...
Replaced with a 2011 WRX Hatch!

1988 323 GTX: Need to finish re-rebuilding the engine...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea
couple other options for you.

i don't know your setup, but sometimes getting a cap or 2 could help a bit during driving. then you can look at turbo timer. sounds funny, but if you turn off your system when you are going to park, and set the timer for a minute or 2 it might charge up at least enough to get you started again? i know it's not ideal, and as i said, i have no idea what you're draw is of the current system...but figured i'd input.

'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:30 PM

call around locally. i had one rewound to 200amps years ago for about 300 or so.

no more 6
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 PM

I believe I read somewhere where the stock 6i Alternator is 90amps and the stock 6s Alternator 110amps. As in the world of physics the old saying "you don't get something for nothing". If you plan to go with a higher amp alternator you may be spending more greenbacks at the pump to drive a higher amp device. Possibly less hp and torque at the wheels.

You'll have to experiment and see what happens.

> > Show me the Data! < <
You can always grow-up but immaturity can last a lifetime.
Not Your Average Six Owner...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
www.therpmstore.com

high output alternator, $750.

'16 CX-9 Touring
'04 6s MTX
Mods: Yes.
8/8/17:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys...gonna weight my options now...if anyone has any better ideas, drop a line or pm me.

Steve

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to PhatalOne
RPM&#39;s deal is about the best you will find on an alternator unless you feel like contacting Dominick Iraggi. He might be a little cheaper... BUT... you would need to ship him your alternator for rebuild, which is not really a feasible option if you still like driving your car. I dropped the whole high output alternator idea at the time because no one made them for our car and I couldn&#39;t go without a vehicle for 2-3 weeks. I personally am thinking about the Tsunami because 190 amps is pretty good for all but the most severe situations. One thing you may want to find out though is how many amps you will get from the alternator at idle and at what RPM you will get the maximum number of amps from the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page