To those who have baked there headlights. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to HedsIc
Simple question. For anyone that has baked there housing. To Paint, tint, install Halos, did doing this mess up the alignment at all or was they still the exact same when you re-installed them without having to adjust them at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Indy MPS6
It shouldn't mess with them at all. The painting is of the bezels, a separate piece from the actual lamps.
Here's a good shot of the 3 components of a headlight housing, the plastic cover, the silver bezel and the actual unit that houses the wiring, the bulbs and the projectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It shouldn't mess with them at all. The painting is of the bezels, a separate piece from the actual lamps.
Here's a good shot of the 3 components of a headlight housing, the plastic cover, the silver bezel and the actual unit that houses the wiring, the bulbs and the projectors.

[/b]
and with painting i can use any black high temp spray paint right? i'm still having troubles finding Tint. i heard not to go with some online no name brand becasue it will suck. and I havn't heard anyone post where a good place to get some is.. I kind of want to go with silver tint to match my car since it's silver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Indy MPS6
Well, some people used Nite Shades (get at your local hobby store like Hobby Lobby). I used high heat engine enamel found at my local auto parts place like Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Mazda Guru

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
tint? are you talking about getting tint and spraying it on the lenses? not a good idea, mainly because of light output. if you're talking about putting tint on the bezels, i would just use regular high-temp paint. i bought some from o'reilly's. just use the high heat paint and clearcoat and you will be okay.

just a little helpful tip: when you bake your headlight assemblies, pull apart the lens from the housing and scrape the silicone off while it is still warm. i just used a flathead screwdriver to get the silicone off. get as much of it off as you can...so that you can put a lot of fresh silicone on there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
tint? are you talking about getting tint and spraying it on the lenses? not a good idea, mainly because of light output. if you're talking about putting tint on the bezels, i would just use regular high-temp paint. i bought some from o'reilly's. just use the high heat paint and clearcoat and you will be okay.

just a little helpful tip: when you bake your headlight assemblies, pull apart the lens from the housing and scrape the silicone off while it is still warm. i just used a flathead screwdriver to get the silicone off. get as much of it off as you can...so that you can put a lot of fresh silicone on there.
[/b]
sweet. Thanks for the help guys...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Is high temp paint necessary? I ask because I have leftover steel grey paint from paintscratch that I want to use on the bezels in the spring. Or will it be damaged by the bulb heat? I wouldn't think it'd get THAT hot, especially since I plan to do a retrofit at the same time.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is high temp paint necessary? I ask because I have leftover steel grey paint from paintscratch that I want to use on the bezels in the spring. Or will it be damaged by the bulb heat? I wouldn't think it'd get THAT hot, especially since I plan to do a retrofit at the same time.
[/b]
thats what i am doing as well. with the retrofit. I will just go to Hobby Lobby tonight and buy some Niteshade. i seen some pics in another forum a minute ago and that is what they used and it looks pretty good......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
it doesn't get that hot inside, but just to be safe...i would go buy some high-heat clearcoat, then you should be fine. if you can paint the engine cover without high-heat paint, i'm sure you headlight bezels don't require high-heat paint...i'm thinking that the engine cover gets a little warmer than the headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page