post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Quote:
I just wanted to note that Xtec does offer D2S HID Kits, which would include both the ballasts and bulbs necessary to complete a retrofit. The kits are the same price as our other kits and I have tested to ensure proper fitment with the Bosch E46/TT projectors mentioned above (in my car).

The biggest challenge in doing this that I ran into was running the D2S connector from the ballast to the back of the bulb inside of the headlamp assembly. I ended up running the wire through the large dust cap behind the fog lamps and then snaking it back to the rear of the low beam projector. The advantage to this is it doesn't look messy. The disadvantage is that if the ballast ever fails, I will have to disassemble the headlamp assembly to remove/replace it.
[/b]

Hmmm, interesting. This means you can have the benefits of the lifetime warranty and the performance of a true retrofit. One of the reasons why I haven't gone the retrofit route is I was afraid to spend that kind of money on used/warranty-free electrical components from Ebay.

Falcon, have you been able to find a source for the proper projectors? I remember reading that you were trying to do so a while back. I bet you'd clean up if you could offer a complete retrofit package

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
RoX

Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to RoX
Cool, ill have to look into the xtech kit then. Thats the only drawback to getting the retrofit, the warranty. The only thing that i would need then is the Bosch projectors, which are around a 100, and a warranty is really not neaded as they cant really fail.

04' Mazda6 V6 MTX: | CP-E Intake and Maf Customizer | Clear side markers | Sports Grille | Polyurethane Eyelids | Mazdaspeed Short throw shifter | Mazdaspeed Springs | Tinted (22% all around) | Debadged | BR lip | Wheels(enkei evo6)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:25 PM

Package

Complete Bosch Xenon D2S HID Projector Package:

If you are looking for a complete package solution for your HID needs, please consider our Bosch/Hella/Philips package. This option gives you a cost effective parts kit to replace critical H.I.D. parts that may have been damaged.

The package includes:
(2) Bosch Projectors
(2) Hella/Philips LVQ-212 G3 Ballasts
(2) D2S HID Bulbs
(2) Ballast Covers/mounts
(2) Ballast connectors

Price $369.99 + shipping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Guru

Send a message via AIM to pololance6i
just curious...how long do the HID Projectors typically last?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
so how much has it cost you to set up the retrofit you currently use in your car? i was just guessing that the electrical stuff used to make the HIDs can be assembled a lot cheaper than what the kits go for. in doing this i realize that expertise and quality are diminished greatly.
[/b]
Quote:
Falcon, have you been able to find a source for the proper projectors? I remember reading that you were trying to do so a while back. I bet you'd clean up if you could offer a complete retrofit package
[/b]
First, regarding the projectors, we do not have any. We tried at one point to get the Bosch D2S ECE projectors, but we were only able to find a supplier that sells two identical projectors, both designed to fit the driver's side lamp. The ones sold by HID Planet are the same way.

What I did for my personal car was purchase those (since they have ECE lenses), and also purchase a left/right matching set of D2S DOT projectors (from eBay) and then swap the lenses, so I then had a left/right matching set with ECE lenses. I then sold the two left projectors with DOT lenses on eBay in order to at least get some of the money back. In the end, it ended up costing close to $170 to get the desired projectors plus the cost of the Xtec 50-watt D2S Kit.

Are you one of our valued customers? Join The RPM Crew today and help spread the word! --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come check out our website! --
-- We have a huge selection of parts for the Mazda 6 and Mazdaspeed 6!

Like us on Facebook for news and discounts! --
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Quote:
Package

Complete Bosch Xenon D2S HID Projector Package:

If you are looking for a complete package solution for your HID needs, please consider our Bosch/Hella/Philips package. This option gives you a cost effective parts kit to replace critical H.I.D. parts that may have been damaged.

The package includes:
(2) Bosch Projectors
(2) Hella/Philips LVQ-212 G3 Ballasts
(2) D2S HID Bulbs
(2) Ballast Covers/mounts
(2) Ballast connectors

Price $369.99 + shipping
[/b]

Yeah, I've seen that, but don't buy it for this car. Both included projectors fit only the driver's side, and neither fit the passenger side.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
wow... LOL.... and FYI, get those hella or philips ballast, it's good in the long run... as they came out with new technologies such as D4S/D4R bulbs... they are rated at 5800K and have better output than D2S 4100-4300K, that's what people say anyway.... but since D4S/D4R takes 85V, you need to get a ballast with that rated output, or else it wont work...

and btw, the newer bmw's xenon are different than the one we have for JDM/europe mazda6. You need to get bosch AL ballast which has the separate ignitor.... the newer bmw's ballast have integrated ignitor inside them....

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
just curious...how long do the HID Projectors typically last?
[/b]
Until you crash the front-end of your car

A projector is essentially just a glass lens in front of a reflective cup of a specific shape. In the space between the cup and lens, you'll find a cutoff plate. Projectors (except for bi-xenon) have no moving parts, and have no electronics. They're just optical devices that are designed to focus and shape the light emanating from an HID bulb. They should in theory last forever.

Quote:
EDIT after searching ebay: Where does the "igniter" come into play? I see balasts on ebay from M3's but they often dont make mention of the igniter, while others do.
[/b]
The ignitors are usually built into the same housing as the ballast on most kits and OEM set-ups. On certain models, the ignitor is actually a separate little box that sits between the ballast and the bulb.

The way it works is that the ignitor is responsible for providing the bulb with a start-up voltage, which essentially is a boot up the back-side to get the bulb going. It does this by providing the bulb with a very high voltage for a very brief moment (< 1s). After the bulb comes to life, the ignitor shuts down and the ballast takes over. The ballast then provides the bulb with a continuous supply of voltage that&#39;s much lower that the start-up voltage that the ignitor supplied.

Combining the ballast and ignitor circuits obviously makes the design simpler and cheaper, which is probably why most companies do the combined design. Separating the ignitor from the ballast, however, allows the ballast to be smaller in dimension. It also allows the ignitor to be brought really close to the bulb, so the burst of high voltage doesn&#39;t have to travel so far. Since the actual ignitor is so small, it can easily fit inside a tiny box and its not a problem to put such a box in-line with the ballast and bulb, in near proximity to the bulb itself.

VANCOUVER MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR
2004 Mazda6 GT Hatch I4 MTX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page