LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a set of LED's for my tail lights and my turn signals blink like crazy and i know that if i got a resistor i could fix that but i also have another problem everytime i turn my lights on i blow a fuse. its the one for the running lights and the licensplate light. its a 10 watt or amp fuse. so my question is how can i keep this light from blowing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Ok well since no one answered my question i continued looking and i think i might have a solution. well i believe that the LEDs are pulling too much power and thats why the fuses keep blowing, so if i were to install resistors into the rear brake and parking lights that would keep them from pulling too much power and might stop them from blowing. But i dont not know if this would work or how many Ohms of resistance i would need. i found a couple diff resistors from autolumination.com http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm does anyone know if this would work and if so how many Ohms of resistance. thank you
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 AM

There was a write-up on this somewhere, quite possibly a sticky. 6ohm if 2 bulbs are done but 3 ohm if 4 are done. But who knows I could be wrong, ask my gf she tells me i'm always wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Yeah read stickys. I'll let you learn by reading which of the stickys its in but I'll give you a hint. The title quite possibly might lead you to it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elementsk8er389@Sep 30 2005, 10:15 PM
I just bought a set of LED's for my tail lights and my turn signals blink like crazy and i know that if i got a resistor i could fix that but i also have another problem everytime i turn my lights on i blow a fuse. its the one for the running lights and the licensplate light. its a 10 watt or amp fuse. so my question is how can i keep this light from blowing??
[snapback]522274[/snapback]
Fuse ratings are amps
LED's pull less current than regular bulbs so they won't cause the fuse to blow.
If you don't know these two simple facts, do you really consider it safe to mess with electrics?

Theres a big difference between real drivers and those who just hold a licence.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:56 AM

They take amps like any diode, but the amount needs to be limited with a suitably rates resistor (amps and watts [not enough watts equals heat equals burn out) at each LED otherwise they will blow fuses.
Chris
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisUK@Oct 16 2005, 01:56 AM
They take amps like any diode, but the amount needs to be limited with a suitably rates resistor (amps and watts [not enough watts equals heat equals burn out) at each LED otherwise they will blow fuses.
Chris
[snapback]534777[/snapback]
Chris thank you for not being an ass about my question like aaman. Do you happen to kno what size resistors i would need to instill. i replaced all my lights in the back to leds.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to BLK05SIX
lay off aaman!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:20 AM
RoX

Groans: 1
Send a message via MSN to RoX
LED's hardly have any resistance and the current starts to flow way too fast causing a blown fuse. You can test this by attaching one to a regular AA battery and you will feel the wires get really hot real quick.. hence no resistance plus it eats away at the battery real quick. Just get a proper sized resistor in the way to slow down the current (the size will depend on the rating of the LED, if you specify that i can look it up). But, they should have LED's mounted on resistors (auto specific) so that you dont have to put one in the wire. If you are making home-made LED lighting kits like for the glove compartment, etc etc, you would probably use a standard resistor, but i dont think uou should need to do this if you are simply tring to fit it to an existing bulb socket? (thas what you are doing right)? Let us know.

Edit: BTW this may help. http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz. Remember resistors in a chain add up so 100ohms + 100ohm resistor is like haveing 1 200 ohm resistor, so if you cant find the "right size" you can simply add more then 1.

04' Mazda6 V6 MTX: | CP-E Intake and Maf Customizer | Clear side markers | Sports Grille | Polyurethane Eyelids | Mazdaspeed Short throw shifter | Mazdaspeed Springs | Tinted (22% all around) | Debadged | BR lip | Wheels(enkei evo6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page