Daylight Running Lights - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deedub35@Oct 1 2005, 04:23 PM
That's the point of DRLs!* It is a safety feature that increases the visibility of vehicles during the day.
How could safety be annoying.* Don't you want other people to notice your vehicle more?* So that they don't pull out of a driveway in front of you?* So that they don't turn in front of you when they are making a left turn?
[snapback]522971[/snapback]

DRL's do not stop idiot drivers. Plus its not like they show up very much on a sunny day! My sister's car has them and they are worthless! I'm glad I don't live in a state where they are required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Thanked 1,168 Times in 855 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
DRLs = overrated!

All GM cars have DRLs, had them for a few years now. Whether or not they're the actual headlights, or the amber turn signals, they're considered DRLs. Toyota (and Lexus) has them as well...

I had them on my Grand Am, and HATED them! The car was WHITE, and even with DRLs, I STILL had idiots pulling out in front of me. Any driver that's cautious will see your car whether or not you have DRLs, and drivers should have enough common sense to turn their lights on in low-visibility situations anyway. It's one of the first things they teach you in driving school.

Despite their "safety" implication, I will REFUSE to buy a car with them, or will mod the car to ditch them altogether. There are time at night when you DON'T want the headlights or DRLs on, like when you're pulling into a driveway and your lights shine into a bedroom.

Another reason to ban them. In NY and many other states, it's state law to have your headlights on with the windshield wipers.

"If the DRLs are on, then you don't need to worry about your lights when it rains or snows..."

WRONG!

The law was written BEFORE DRLs became commonplace, and the intent was that both the headlights AND taillights go on when it rains or snows. You don't know how many times I've nearly rear-ended cars in rainstorms because I can't see their damn taillights! But of course, their DRLs are on, so everythings "okay"...

The sooner DRLs go away, the better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 01:24 AM

Typically, there is a separate module at or near the fuse box for DRL. VOLVO is known for building safety into their cars. If the VOLVO engineers think it's a good idea then I think it's a good idea. And it makes a lot of sense from a safety point of view. This feature gives makes your car more visible to on coming drivers and who ever else is near the road.

> > Show me the Data! < <
You can always grow-up but immaturity can last a lifetime.
Not Your Average Six Owner...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 11:43 PM

FYI, the headlights on cars equipped with DRL will turn off when you engage the hand brake.. which is nice for that driveway situation you mentioned. Having said that, I agree 100% with you. Here in Canada all new vehicles are required to have DRLs, but I find it doesnt really increase visibility. If you cant see a car in broad daylight in time to react, then something&#39;s either wrong with your vision or you&#39;re a dumbass.. DRL is really designed for dumbass drivers (meaning other drivers, not the one with DRL&#39;s).. in which case they aren&#39;t going to help anyway. In fact, I think people get used to them.. cars without DRLs probably stick out in the crowd. This is not to say that I&#39;m not for safety, because in some cases, like when it rains, I&#39;ll turn on my lights but I like the freedom to have them off... and they&#39;re a real PITA to remove when you install HIDs, as I mentioned in my other thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mz6GreyGhost@Oct 1 2005, 11:49 PM
DRLs = overrated!

Despite their "safety" implication, I will REFUSE to buy a car with them, or will mod the car to ditch them altogether.* There are time at night when you DON&#39;T want the headlights or DRLs on, like when you&#39;re pulling into a driveway and your lights shine into a bedroom.

The sooner DRLs go away, the better...
[snapback]523094[/snapback]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 AM

I think that all safety devices have their share of people for and against. I also think that all safety devices have their pros and cons. For example:

1. Seat belts.

Uncomfortable for certain people (too tall, too short, or morbidly obese). Not convenient for people that have to get in and out of their car often (delivery people). Some people survived an accident because they were ejected from their vehicle.

2. Air bags.

Not good for short drivers that have their seat all the way up so that their chest is against the steering wheel. No good for baby seats in the front seat. They are too powerful and can break bones. Explode too easy (little fender bender).

3. ABS.

Some like to have full unimpeded control of their vehicle. There are some instances where it is beneficial to have the brakes lock up.

4. Daytime running lights.

Not effective when it is sunny out. Shines light into bedrooms. Not good to have when doing an HID conversion.

There are obviously cons about all these safety devices. And there are studies to back up both pros and cons. But I strongly feel that the pros outweigh the cons for all of them. Then again my opinion is just that - an opinion. And so are yours. Agree to disagree.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think DRL are excellent and they should also have rear DRL, like the old corrola&#39;s used to. If you have driven in the odd weather that Canada tends to have in winter where it&#39;s brighten enough not to need the lowbeams on, but you can&#39;t see oncoming traffic because of the snow then you will appriate the DRL. I always keep my rear lights on at all times when I drive. It has the same affect of reducing collisions as the center brake light. The centre brake light is not a must on any car, but why do automakers use it? In it&#39;s first year of delevelopment rear end collisions were reduced by almost 40%. ((Just ask your insurance company))

CANADA / TORONTO MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR Current Dyno - 205whp, 180wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page