Fuzzy Negative Terminal.... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to sry110
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought maybe the Electrical section would be appropriate.

So I had the hood popped to replace a blown parking light when I noticed this bluish-greenish, foamy, coral-esque growth on the battery's negative terminal. I have never seen anything like this before! It definitely looks like solidified chemical/acid of some sort from the battery, but I can't figure out why it is collecting on the negative terminal. I have a stereo amplifier hooked to the battery, but I didn't think it required enough juice that it would cause any problems with the stock battery. Anyways, take a look and let me know what you think....all suggestions are welcome!

-steve

Old Car --> 2003 Mazda 6s 5MT, Sport Package, some goodies

Current Car --> 2006 Nissan 350z 6MT, some goodies : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to chambers7867 Send a message via Yahoo to chambers7867
lol, welcome to corrosion, and more inportaly oxidation!, you had water splashed on your neg. termanl, using a wire brush clean that shit off your battery! next go to your local audio store and buy new termanals(haha i spelt that wronge!!!) even if your not running after market audio. they are much better, sometimes sealed! you will have to pay more but they have better connection. just remember kids! no matter how many mods you have it dont mean anything with out ignition!!!!

MAZDA 6i 2.3l: Magnaflow exhaust, InJen intake, Cpe battery tray, Oddssey lightweight battery, Nitrous Express efi wet kit, Nos bottle warmer, Nos bottle Blanket, MR. Racing nitrous plate, Zex purge kit, AutoMeter Nitrous, Tranny, Air/fuel, Volt gauge (sportscomp) Lotek 3 gauge pod, MoMo Duke shiftknob, MoMo endurance shiftboot, Powdercoated valve cover, Powdercoated wheels, Rotra rotors, BenDix brake pads, Stainless steel brake lines, stainless steel fuel lines, MR. Racing fuel rail, Autometer fuel pressure gauge, custom strut bar, 10% tint all around, tinted taillights and sidelights, Planet audio 5x7 speakers all around, Jvc Exad dvd player headunit. carbon fiber hood.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chambers7867@Sep 19 2005, 07:05 PM
lol, welcome to corrosion, and more inportaly oxidation!, you had water splashed on your neg. termanl, using a wire brush clean that shit off your battery! next go to your local audio store and buy new termanals(haha i spelt that wronge!!!) even if your not running after market audio. they are much better, sometimes sealed! you will have to pay more but they have better connection.* just remember kids! no matter how many mods you have it dont mean anything with out ignition!!!!
[snapback]512359[/snapback]

Yup.

I had that happen in my old car. I had a power wire for my amp hooked up to it. I guess i didnt notice it for a long long time but one day the power to my amp was flicking on and off so I popped the hood to see the same exact thing, only it cut through my wire. I touched the wire and it fell to pieces.

Since your car is under warranty, I would take it to the dealer and he will replace the end wire and connectors for you. If you let it go, eventually it CAN run through your wire and damage stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:46 PM

It's simple reaction between air, water, and the metals used. Very very common actually. You can clean it with a wire brush simple enough, and there are things (chemicals) you can put on there to prevent it. (Hairspray works pretty well, actually.)

I got a couple questions for you though:

1. Did you hook up your stereo ground to the battery ground?
2. Is there corrosion on your positive terminal?

If you did ground your stereo to the battery, disconnect it and ground it to the chassis, OR run another ground wire from the neg to the chassis.

If there is corrosion on your positive terminal as well, clean them both up and check it in a few weeks. Fast corrosion is a sign of a bad wire/connection/etc somewhere else, and your new stereo would be the first place I'd look. (also make sure your components are rated for each other)

You don't need to buy new terminals.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shellghost@Sep 19 2005, 07:46 PM
You don't need to buy new terminals.
[snapback]512385[/snapback]
That would depend on how deep the corrosion went. If it contacted the ground wire on his battery, then he should replace everywhere the corrosion touched.

Read my post on what happened to my positive battery wire. The entire thing was corroded inside and it broke in half when I touched it.

See the exposed copper on the first picture. If the corrosion got onto that wire inside the connector, it will need to be stripped and replaced. I cant tell how deep the corrosion went or how long it was on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to chambers7867 Send a message via Yahoo to chambers7867
i know you dont need new termanls! But i just said it's an easy fast upgrade with some bling bling effect. and it will elongate the cables life!

MAZDA 6i 2.3l: Magnaflow exhaust, InJen intake, Cpe battery tray, Oddssey lightweight battery, Nitrous Express efi wet kit, Nos bottle warmer, Nos bottle Blanket, MR. Racing nitrous plate, Zex purge kit, AutoMeter Nitrous, Tranny, Air/fuel, Volt gauge (sportscomp) Lotek 3 gauge pod, MoMo Duke shiftknob, MoMo endurance shiftboot, Powdercoated valve cover, Powdercoated wheels, Rotra rotors, BenDix brake pads, Stainless steel brake lines, stainless steel fuel lines, MR. Racing fuel rail, Autometer fuel pressure gauge, custom strut bar, 10% tint all around, tinted taillights and sidelights, Planet audio 5x7 speakers all around, Jvc Exad dvd player headunit. carbon fiber hood.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Philter25@Sep 19 2005, 06:11 PM
That would depend on how deep the corrosion went.* If it contacted the ground wire on his battery, then he should replace everywhere the corrosion touched.

Read my post on what happened to my positive battery wire.* The entire thing was corroded inside and it broke in half when I touched it.

See the exposed copper on the first picture.* If the corrosion got onto that wire inside the connector, it will need to be stripped and replaced.* I cant tell how deep the corrosion went or how long it was on.
[snapback]512403[/snapback]

This corrosion isn't likely deep enough to do any damage. That does take awhile.

You posted while I was writing my post, so I didn't see what you were writing. But your positive wire is a perfect example of electrolytic corrosion.

Electrolytic Corrosion is also called "stray current corrosion" and is the reason I asked him about the condition of his positive terminal, and what his grounds were. Electrolytic corrosion will eat your wires and terminals and is generally caused by improper wiring. (bad grounds, bad connection)

A current leak can also be caused by damp conditions, and the likelyhood of this happenening is increased if you have alot of bare positive wire. Using felt anti-corrsion pads or spraying hairspray/lube on the terminals and bare wire will solve this usually.

New terminals can add some bling bling, but unless the problem is corrected they can be eaten just as fast (or even faster) than the stock terminals.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shellghost@Sep 19 2005, 08:54 PM
This corrosion isn't likely deep enough to do any damage. That does take awhile.

You posted while I was writing my post, so I didn't see what you were writing. But your positive wire is a perfect example of electrolytic corrosion.

Electrolytic Corrosion is also called "stray current corrosion" and is the reason I asked him about the condition of his positive terminal, and what his grounds were.* Electrolytic corrosion will eat your wires and terminals and is generally caused by improper wiring.* (bad grounds, bad connection)

A current leak can also be caused by damp conditions, and the likelyhood of this happenening is increased if you have alot of bare positive wire. Using felt anti-corrsion pads or spraying hairspray/lube on the terminals and bare wire will solve this usually.

New terminals can add some bling bling, but unless the problem is corrected they can be eaten just as fast (or even faster) than the stock terminals.
[snapback]512446[/snapback]

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to monkeyboydrew
yeah clean them up either using a wire brush or one of them new fangled terminal cleaner thingy (got a hole lined with a wire brushes on one side and a pointed wire brush on the other end) OR you can use some coke-a-cola on it (will eat that stuff right off....but really only use that in an emergency) and finally get some petrolumn (sp?) jelly and coat your terminals with it (will help them not to corrode again)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 PM

wow never heard of that...i have seen negative terminal covers though

2005 Mazda 6s
Hatch Back - 5 Door - Lapis Blue - 6-Speed Sport A/T
Leather - Bose Audio Package - Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink
Factory Remote Starter - Shock Sensor Upgrade - LED Parking and Side Lights
Clear Side Markers - PIAA Xtreme White Lows, Highs and Fogs - Chrome Fuel Door

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page