User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious as to some other feedback about this topic. I have been pondering whether or not to purchase an HID kit for the 6. My brother drives a 2000 540i with factory HID and holy shit, its the bluest HID i've ever seen but lights up the road like god has came (I know that obvious fact is that it is a factory HID car). Then I see pictures of HID kits on the 6, and it seems that my Osram silverstars light the road better than the 6000k HID kits.
I would like to hear other's input as far as visibility with HID kits on the 6. If you have any pictures from either inside the cockpit or any showing the distance of area lit up by the lights, please post them! Thanks very much guys, appreciate any feedback!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Steel grey 6i
89 mustang (few mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) sold-THANK GOD, can't afford the gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 02:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to monkeyboydrew
Well i can honsetly say that compared to the OEM bulbs the HIDs are like night and day. God awfully brighter, and really lights up the road at night. If you look thru this section of the forum there are plenty of pics of what alot of the different HID kits look like. GET THEM
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 02:49 PM

i don't think the oem or any other "hyperwhite" bulb (silverstar, luminic, piaa) come close to color and brightness of HIDs.

<span style="font-family:Arial">06 6i sedan ATX tungsten gray, lip spoiler
stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 02:58 PM

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by jsherrill28@Jul 31 2005, 08:49 AM
i don&#39;t think the oem or any other "hyperwhite" bulb (silverstar, luminic, piaa) come close to color and brightness of HIDs.
[snapback]472747[/snapback]

Aloha

大きく悪いお父さんのガレージ

Where 'fix' doesn't always mean 'repair'
*Spare parts available*
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Rally Racer

After having hids stock on my 2k2 max, and now 8000k on my 6, I can whole-heartedly say its the best (non-performance) mod Ive done. The visibility difference is night and day compared to halogens, and the area of coverege seems about 20-25% wider than without. You wont be dissapointed granted you buy a quality kit.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:22 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Hey Choppa, how did your stock HID&#39;s compare to your aftermarket kit as far as visibility goes? I&#39;d like to get &#39;em, but I&#39;m afraid I&#39;ll be disappointed without doing the full retrofit, and I&#39;m not sure I have the patience for that.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 10:46 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jul 31 2005, 06:22 PM
Hey Choppa, how did your stock HID&#39;s compare to your aftermarket kit as far as visibility goes?* I&#39;d like to get &#39;em, but I&#39;m afraid I&#39;ll be disappointed without doing the full retrofit, and I&#39;m not sure I have the patience for that.
[snapback]472965[/snapback]
hey mzbuckeye, i&#39;ve replied your PM regarding this as well....

First, i dont know why is your brother&#39;s bimmer has blue HID..... did you see it while it was turning on? OEM hids are rated at 4100K (some probably 4300K), so you dont see any blue in those.... as everyone knows, Kelvin scale is inversely proportional to the Lm (brightness)....

and, IF you drive mostly at night, it&#39;s best to get retrofit with 4100K bulb... the purpose of retrofit is to reduce/eliminate the glare HID kits produce if installed in halogen projector.... secondly, you&#39;ll get those blue/purple flicker if you retrofit... (reason for this is because of the cutoff shield, AND the lens itself)

IF you go for the looks, i m betting these people will get HID kits with 6000K bulbs... which is ~2800lm (compared to ~3200lm for 4300K-5300K HID kits), and thus, it wont glare the oncoming traffic as much as the 4300K kits...

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 11:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to FreeStyLinDrive Send a message via MSN to FreeStyLinDrive
BMW HIDs are very different then adding aftermarket HIDs to a Mazda headlamp. BMW&#39;s have bi-xenon lights and look alot better then a Mazda will ever, even if you tried.

You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.
*Galileo {1564-1642 Italian Astronomer & Mathematician}

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyLinDrive@Jul 31 2005, 10:54 PM
BMW HIDs are very different then adding aftermarket HIDs to a Mazda headlamp. BMW&#39;s have bi-xenon lights and look alot better then a Mazda will ever, even if you tried.
[snapback]473158[/snapback]
LOL... yes, and our car only accepts single-xenon.... but if you want to fabricate another brackets, it&#39;s doable too....

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Rally Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Aug 1 2005, 05:22 AM
Hey Choppa, how did your stock HID&#39;s compare to your aftermarket kit as far as visibility goes?* I&#39;d like to get &#39;em, but I&#39;m afraid I&#39;ll be disappointed without doing the full retrofit, and I&#39;m not sure I have the patience for that.
[snapback]472965[/snapback]
The stock maxima hids were around 4200-4500k (cant remember) and the housings were not projectors. Compared to the 8000k im running now I think the visibilty difference is minimal at best, but the edge of course is to the stock hids.

I dont think theres enought difference between the 2 to attempt a full retro-fit imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page