Converted lower fogs to HID for sport bumper...... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
UPDATE (2 July 05):

Finally those long awaited night pics, click the link below to see the night pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/622448/13

Its been said before but I have to say it again, the pics just don't do it justice, in person the setup is totally sweet. The lights are actually a lot brighter than I thought, and not purple at all. To tell you the truth, I think they are 10K bulbs not 13K. The box that the kit came in only showed 6500 - 10K. On the invoice it said 13K but I suspect they are 10K.

Also, for all you skeptics, I developed a very simple aiming system that works great, I updated my install notes with the mod:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/622448/12

Basically all you need is a C clamp, a drill, and some longer 6mm screws.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got all the pieces I needed for my HID conversion. I got a 13,000K HID kit and installed it in the aftermarket lower fog assemblies for the NA Sports bumper. Below are install pics and notes. My car is currently in the shop (brake pedal squealing) as soon as its back I'll post some night pics with the HIDs on as well as installation pics of the fog lamp switch. It is a pain to post pics on here, so click the following link to see the full write up on my cardomain site:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/622448/12

Also, I got the HID kit from the following site. The kit was $245 shipped, which is a great price, since I paid $405 for the same kit a yr ago. Also, I wanted to purchase a HID kit from one of the site sponsors, however no one was offering a temp as high as 13K. This kit is really high quality, its the same kit I've been using for the last 2yrs in my integrated fogs and low beams.

http://hid-light.com/

HID FOG Lamp Install

The following is a How To on converting the standard H3 bulbs that come with the Mazda 6s Sport bumper fog lamps to HIDs. The assemblies are not designed for HIDs so some minor modifications are required.

(Note: The following How To is for the Brightstar HID kit only, some or all of the steps may not be necessary for other HID kits. The Brightstar HID kit goes by many names, check the pics below to see if your kit looks similar to the kit in the pics.)

Step 1

Take apart the assemblies and remove the stock bulbs. In the assembly there is a small tab that is designed to hook into the H3 bulb and hold it steady, while the screw on the other side holds it from the other side. The problem is, the HID bulb base is much thicker than the stock base, so you will have to bend the tab back and widen the hole. Make the hole just big enough for a small screw to fit in it.

Step 2

Insert the HID H3 bulb into the assembly and screw the screws into the holes. You may have to slightly carve out the cutout in the base to get the screw to fit.

Step 2

Cut a small rectangle out of the back of the top of the housing. The rectangle should be no wider than necessary to fit the base of the HID bulb through. Also, make sure to cut it parallel to the screw holes in the assembly. This will ensure the rectangle is in the correct orientation in relation to the H3 base.

Step 3

Locate the rubber grommet that held the HID bulb in the original packaging. Cut the interior of the grommet so that it is wide enough to fit around the base of the HID bulb without expanding.

Step 4

Run the wires from the HID bulb through the opening in the assembly base and press firmly on the base while screwing in the screws. As you can see, I much improved my installation technique from the first one to the second one.

Step 5

Personally I connected everything and took the pictures below. However, in reality you probably want to go ahead and mount the fog lamps in the car, run the wires, and connect the switch.

Completed Conversion

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
omg, 13,000K???

can you even see anything with that high of a rating?

That's ultraviolet territory i think....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

I'd like to see what 13,000K looks like he-he!

Aloha

大きく悪いお父さんのガレージ

Where 'fix' doesn't always mean 'repair'
*Spare parts available*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosteen@Jun 27 2005, 08:10 PM
omg, 13,000K???

can you even see anything with that high of a rating?

That's ultraviolet territory i think....
[snapback]441485[/snapback]
If it's ultraviolet, it should make the lines on the road light up pretty good, eh?

Cool conversion though. Kick ass on the super high k hid conversion for lower fogs though. Props!

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
do you actually think that will hold up in rainy wheather . i was doing the hid install before cracked my lens . i checked for water leak in . and water does get inside in the seam between the lens and the case , not to mention you didnt cover the back of the fogs opening you cut out with a waterproof seal , i wouldnt trust the spongy ring to hold out water . a halogen bulb is fine to take a risk but hid bulbs are quite expensive .

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Yea I can't wait to install it, I'm pissed that the Mazda dealership is dragging A%# getting my car done. I dropped it off Sat and they didn't get to it yet. All that was wrong was the brake pedal was squealing.

Anyway, I hope to post night pics tomorrow or Wed at the latest. I'm going to install it with its own switch, I want it to be completely independent of any of the other lights. I do wish my underbody neons were purple though, then they would better match the HID fogs.

Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Retired Moderator

13,000K. Holy shit dude, that's begging to be pulled over.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackmagik_13 Send a message via MSN to blackmagik_13 Send a message via Yahoo to blackmagik_13
Yeah, I read the 13k and had to re-read it like 3 times to make sure I was focusing properly ...

DEFINITELY get pics up, anxious to see them!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmm yeah, 13k wow.. cop manget for sure.

Im also wondering about the rear of those housings, doesn't look too weather safe.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by leftyrev+Jun 28 2005, 02:57 AM-->
Quote:
do you actually think that will hold up in rainy wheather . i was doing the hid install before cracked my lens . i checked for water leak in . and water does get inside in the seam between the lens and the case , not to mention you didnt cover the back of the fogs opening you cut out with a waterproof seal , i wouldnt trust the spongy ring to hold out water . a halogen bulb is fine to take a risk but hid bulbs are quite expensive .
[snapback]441585[/snapback]
[/b]

I am going to seal the whole thing with spray on sealant, I'm also going to use silicone to seal the front ring to the back of the assembly, but I don't want to do either until I test the bulbs in my car, it would suck to get everything sealed then find out one of the bulbs is blown. The rubber ring is just to help whatever sealant I end up using, its not meant to be a replacement.

<!--QuoteBegin-Sigma
@Jun 28 2005, 03:10 AM
13,000K.* Holy shit dude, that&#39;s begging to be pulled over.
[snapback]441598[/snapback]

There is a loophole in the law...there are NO laws governing what lights you can install in the fog lamps as long as they aren&#39;t cop colors and as long as the fog lamps are below the level of the bumper (not a light bar across the top like on a pickup truck). So it will actually be street legal..well at least until I turn on my integrated fogs, but that&#39;s a diff story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page