Converted lower fogs to HID for sport bumper...... - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
Quote:
Originally posted by diesel5599@Jun 28 2005, 07:52 AM
I am going to seal the whole thing with spray on sealant, I'm also going to use silicone to seal the front ring to the back of the assembly, but I don't want to do either until I test the bulbs in my car, it would suck to get everything sealed then find out one of the bulbs is blown. The rubber ring is just to help whatever sealant I end up using, its not meant to be a replacement.

There is a loophole in the law...there are NO laws governing what lights you can install in the fog lamps as long as they aren't cop colors and as long as the fog lamps are below the level of the bumper (not a light bar across the top like on a pickup truck). So it will actually be street* legal..well at least until I turn on my integrated fogs, but that's a diff story.
[snapback]441841[/snapback]
thats a good idea , here a pics of what i did , i used a rotozip with the cut off tool attachment with a metal cutting blade , then i used a half round file to give it a smooth hole . i attatched a inch round PVC pipe to the housing to cover the whole bulb and give more air space in the housing . i sealed it with silicone cualking . i rested it in the oven at 300 degrees for 25 min and it held up great , i was going to silicone the rubber stopper from the hid bulb to the back of the PVC pipe after i cut it down to a more managable size . also i purchased some 1/2 inch rubber hose , i was gonna cut a slit in the rubber stopper and attach about a foot of hose that way the fog gets to breath while the hose is up higher in the engine compartment to prevent water from entering the housing .

wish i could have gotten this finished but when i went to finish the work the other day i noticed one of my fogs were cracked . so im looking for better fogs to work on right now .

on the lighting 1300k is too much color to pass that loophole , a cop is gonna spot you , and a cop will fine you if he feels like it . you can try to explain the loophole to the judge if you want to fight the ticket . the loophole works both ways . actually there isnt supposed to be any lighting other than white or yellow in the front of the car . some guys have gotten tickets for the led parking lights that are a slight hue of blue/purple i could imagine how much attention 13000k hid is gonna attract from the cops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010016__Small_.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	40405   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018__Small_.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	40406   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010024__Small_.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	40407  

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Retired Moderator

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
There is a loophole in the law...there are NO laws governing what lights you can install in the fog lamps as long as they aren't cop colors and as long as the fog lamps are below the level of the bumper (not a light bar across the top like on a pickup truck). So it will actually be street legal..well at least until I turn on my integrated fogs, but that's a diff story.
I suggest you read your laws again.

Georgia Code 40-8-34 stipulates that ALL lighting shall be in accordance to SAE J578 -- a federal standard that dictates that all forward lights must be White or Amber. And, yes, there are specifics on what is "White" and what is not; it involves some complex formulas, but anyone can see that 13,000K HIDs fall well outside the realm.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Actually I go by FL's statue 316.233 which in no way dictates the color, my car is registered in FL and I am a FL resident, just in GA temporarily.

(2) FOG LAMPS.--Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified in s. 316.237(1)(b).

Obviously laws vary from state to state, if I drive to a state that is really ate up about fog lamp chromacity then I guess I'll just turn them off. I did find some interesting charts though for anyone worried about adhering to SAE J578 - it looks like anything up to 8000K is within SAE standards.

http://www.colorfacts.com/colorfacts/help/...colorsystem.htm

Cross reference the Kelvin chart with the SAE standards for white light:

http://www.dialight.com/ledinfo.tpl?page=chromaticity

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM

need pix in my life! pleaseeeeeeeeee

FS:
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sexy6s@Jun 28 2005, 05:39 PM
need pix in my life! pleaseeeeeeeeee
[snapback]442177[/snapback]
I know, I'm still waiting to get my car back, they had to order the part or something, it should be ready tomorrow (29 Jun) and I'll put it on in time to take some night pics.

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:07 PM

Diesel, you replaced the stock H3 bulbs with HID H3 bulbs right? Do you think it would be possible to modify the fogs to accept an H1 HID bulb? I ask this because I like the idea of being able to swap parts between my low-beams and fogs.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guinea Pig@Jun 30 2005, 05:07 PM
Diesel, you replaced the stock H3 bulbs with HID H3 bulbs right? Do you think it would be possible to modify the fogs to accept an H1 HID bulb? I ask this because I like the idea of being able to swap parts between my low-beams and fogs.
[snapback]444497[/snapback]
no, the H1 hid bulb is longer and wider , the H3 hid bulb just barely fits in there as it is .

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just thought about something as well, I remember when I installed mine.. there is only about an inch (if even) from the back of the drivers side light housing and the edge my AEM Intake Filter.

Now, this is probably only for the 4cyl, as on the 6cyls the filter seems to point straight down. Maybe other brands on the 6i do as well, but not my AEM.. so there will be no foglight modding for me

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axion@Jun 30 2005, 06:04 PM
I just thought about something as well, I remember when I installed mine.. there is only about an inch (if even) from the back of the drivers side light housing and the edge my AEM Intake Filter.

Now, this is probably only for the 4cyl, as on the 6cyls the filter seems to point straight down. Maybe other brands on the 6i do as well, but not my AEM.. so there will be no foglight modding for me
[snapback]444551[/snapback]
did you try readjusting the intake , or maybe look if you can cut the pipe down a few inches .

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
looked at trying to re adjust it, but the way the aem has its little tab and rubber mount for the pipe, it makes it face that direction.

I just got my luminic bulbs in today, gonna try em in the stock fogs and if they look good, another set for the lowers. I could care less about light output, just want the colors to semi-match

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page