Changing the Stock Headlights - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a quick question about changing the stock headlights. I want to switch out to some PIAA, or something equivilant, bulbs for my headlights. I know HIDs or something equiviliant would be quite a bit brighter, but don't want to wire anything or take the route of baking my headlights.

I have read differing opinions about taking the bumper off, and removing the headlights to change the bulbs, but I believe this is the route I will take. I also need to swap out my amber side markers, so will take this opportunity to do so at the same time.

Anyway, I have two quick questions regarding the headlight apparatus...

1) If I remove the headlight assembly, change the bulbs and then put the headlight unit back on my car, is there any alighnment I need to do to make sure my headlights are not pointing at the stars now?

2) I would like to change my turn signal bulbs (front and rear) into LEDs, I don't care if they are an amber light LED or not, but I don't like the look of the amber bulb in the unit, it looks like an egg yolk to me. Since LEDs are not amber when not lite, I would like to take this approach. I read something about needing an extra something to plug in when using an LED for a turn signal. Is this piece something that splices into the wiring, or does it sit between the bulb and socket?

Sorry for the rambling, I have a tendancy to chat a bit too much when I explain things. Regardless, Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:28 PM

if you have a 4 cylinder, you'll be able to do it without removing the housings. i did the same thing (changed bulbs to luminics, sidemarkers, etc.) and took me a bit of fanaggling and some patience, but i got it done. easy to do, especially for a newb such as myself. i've heard some guys say it's really tough for the cramped compartment of the 6 cylinder, so taking it out might be better.

also, for the turn signals, try chrome colored bulbs that blink amber. leds i think would look weird in the back, imho. no fitment issues (i don't know if there are with leds, but probably not) and they look good. check autolumination.

<span style="font-family:Arial">06 6i sedan ATX tungsten gray, lip spoiler
stock for now
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jsherrill28@Jun 14 2005, 03:28 PM
if you have a 4 cylinder, you&#39;ll be able to do it without removing the housings. i did the same thing (changed bulbs to luminics, sidemarkers, etc.) and took me a bit of fanaggling and some patience, but i got it done. easy to do, especially for a newb such as myself. i&#39;ve heard some guys say it&#39;s really tough for the cramped compartment of the 6 cylinder, so taking it out might be better.

also, for the turn signals, try chrome colored bulbs that blink amber. leds i think would look weird in the back, imho. no fitment issues (i don&#39;t know if there are with leds, but probably not) and they look good. check autolumination.
[snapback]431231[/snapback]
I just changed my headlight and fog light bulbs this weekend to PIAA xtreme whites. It wasn&#39;t bad at all. I followed the directions to remove the bumper on mazda6tech.com and then removed the housing. it was the easiest way. unless you have midget hands i dont know how you could pull out the bulbs without damaging them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I do have the v6.

Where does one find Chrome Colored bulbs like you mentioned?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 PM

autolumination comes to mind. search the forum. i know some guys here have them. not expensive, either.

since you have the v6, and assuming you aren&#39;t built like a twig, i&#39;d take of the bumper, remove the headlights and be done wit it.

<span style="font-family:Arial">06 6i sedan ATX tungsten gray, lip spoiler
stock for now
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 PM

No alignment need , took off 3 times , and no harm done!!! so don;t worry!
but , u don;t need to take off the bumper for just changing bulbs , u can squeeze ur hand in there , and do it with no trouble! just remove the air box and the water reservour , and u should be fine! i did it couple of times! till i got tired and installed HID&#39;s! jejej

Edit: Know u put u got the V6 , i don;t know bout that!

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Optima][B]
JDM Mazda 6i Black Mica 2005

Santo Domingo , Dominican Republic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jsherrill28@Jun 14 2005, 02:40 PM
since you have the v6, and assuming you aren&#39;t built like a twig, i&#39;d take of the bumper, remove the headlights and be done wit it.
Yea, I&#39;m about 6&#39;3" and 250 lbs. twig isn&#39;t exactly the term I would use to define myself...

So taking them off and putting them back doesn&#39;t screw with the position they point in...good to know. I&#39;d hate to be that asshole on the road blinding others because of a mispointed headlight.

Thanks for all the reponses guys!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DSimmon@Jun 14 2005, 03:52 PM
Yea, I&#39;m about 6&#39;3" and 250 lbs.* twig isn&#39;t exactly the term I would use to define myself...

So taking them off and putting them back doesn&#39;t screw with the position they point in...good to know.* I&#39;d hate to be that asshole on the road blinding others because of a mispointed headlight.

Thanks for all the reponses guys!
[snapback]431268[/snapback]
the first time i tried to remove the housing i couldnt get it out because of a flat black pin that you have to pry up to remove. that was the hardest part so just remeber to get that out and then its about 5 bolts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Rally Racer

Send a message via MSN to OrphanBoy
DSimmon, I bet if you&#39;re 6&#39;3" then your fingers must be longer than mine, which is all you need to do this, long fingers. Many other "big" members have also completed this mod without removing the bumper. Personally, removing the bumper and headlight assemblies is a waste of time and effort for something so trivial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page