User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I installed my lower fog lights the other day and they worked fine. I wired them into my headlights (not sure if I did it completely right but it worked) I got the great idea to make it so I could turn them on without having to have my headlights on and I hooked the hot wire to the battery. One of the fog lights blew out, is this because I hooked it to the battery? whats the best way to wire the hot wire? should I do it to the parking lights or the head lights? how do I do it?

I have a hard wire kit that I got for my cobra radar detector and it basically hooks up to a fuse in the car, can I do that same thing with my fog lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 PM

It sounds like you have no idea about what you are doing. Did your kit come with instructions and a wiring harness?

Fog lights need to be run through a relay. The current draw will melt those little on/off switches.

A short version of the story that will work is as follows (look on the back of a relay):

[attachmentid=3934]

Connect terminal 30 to the positive terminal of the battery. Make sure you put a fuse on this wire preferably within 12 inches of the battery terminal.

Connect terminal 87 to the positive wire of the bulb.

Connect terminal 85 to a switchable positive source (your choice: parklight relay, headlight relay, etc.). Your foglights will turn on when you turn on whatever you hook it up to: parklight, headlight, etc.

Connect terminal 86 to a good ground.

The remaining wire of the bulb will need to be grounded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	40041  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by deedub35@Jun 6 2005, 11:42 PM
It sounds like you have no idea about what you are doing.* Did your kit come with instructions and a wiring harness?

Fog lights need to be run through a relay.* The current draw will melt those little on/off switches.

A short version of the story that will work is as follows (look on the back of a relay):

[attachmentid=3934]

Connect terminal 30 to the positive terminal of the battery.* Make sure you put a fuse on this wire preferably within 12 inches of the battery terminal.

Connect terminal 87 to the positive wire of the bulb.

Connect terminal 85 to a switchable positive source (your choice: parklight relay, headlight relay, etc.).* Your foglights will turn on when you turn on whatever you hook it up to: parklight, headlight, etc.

Connect terminal 86 to a good ground.

The remaining wire of the bulb will need to be grounded.
[snapback]425991[/snapback]
i hooked everything up correctly. i'm just confused where to connect terminal 85. can i connect that directly to the battery? how do i connect it to the parklight relay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nilsenm@Jun 7 2005, 06:33 AM
i'm just confused where to connect terminal 85.* can i connect that directly to the battery?* how do i connect it to the parklight relay?
The relay is a switch. When terminal 85 receives a 12V signal it closes the relay. This then allows the 12V from the battery (that you hooked up to terminal 30) to flow to the bulb (that you hooked up to terminal 87).

Do not hookup terminal 85 to the battery because the relay will always be closed! This means the fogs will be on all the time!

If you hookup terminal 85 to the parklight relay then the relay will be closed only when the parklights are on. The parklight relay is in the fusebox. You will have to pull out the parklight relay, stuff the end of the wire into the socket, and push the parklight relay back in.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:58 AM

Just look at the sticky at the top of the forum about hooking up fog lights so that you can turn them on whenever....

Seriously do a search BEFORE you do a mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page