How to disable TCS on start - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
First let me say that I have NOT performed this mod, so I do not have any pictures or wiring diagrams for anyone. I do not plan on performing this mod since the default TCS ON behavior does not bother me. However, I recently came across a post that could possibly damage the ECU, so I decided to post my recommendation on how to turn off the TCS every time the car is started. The steps are below:

1. Leave the stock TCS switch intact.

2. Purchase an automotive relay.

3. Ground the negative power lead for the relay.

4. Wire the positive power lead to the positive lead of the solenoid on the starter.

5. Connect the two output leads on the relay to the two switched connections on the TCS switch. Make sure you are connecting the leads to the switched connections and not the power connections. The switch has two power leads which power the light built into the switch, you do not want to connect the relay to these two.

6. Mod complete.

What you just did:

Every time you start the car, the power sent to the starter will power the relay which will in turn mimic pressing the TCS switch on the dash. This will reverse the default nature of the TCS system which is by default ON after starting the car. To turn the TCS back on, press the TCS button.

This mod will leave the stock TCS switch intact, and will not risk damage to the ECU. I strongly recommend NOT performing this mod if you are not at least somewhat familiar with electronic theory, automotive electrical systems, and how to install a relay. Serious damage to your ECU could result if the relay is wired incorrectly. It is important to wire the relay to the proper power wire on the starter, you want the wire that is only powered when the key is turned to the starting position. A continuity tester would be a good way to verify this.

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 PM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't plan on doing this but incase anyone is ambitious enough to do this, I believe the wire diesel is refering to is the starter wire/crank wire. This wire is + only when you start/crank the car. And I believe this wire is the Black/Blue wire found in the ignition harness. But anyone trying this should test out the wire(s) before doing any mod. And another note, the power of this wire will have 12V when car is cranked, I don't know if the pulse current sent to the ECU from the TCS button has this much power or if it is less.

'04 Lapis MTX 6s 5door. "It's all good"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vina6@Mar 21 2005, 11:43 PM
I don't plan on doing this but incase anyone is ambitious enough to do this, I believe the wire diesel is refering to is the starter wire/crank wire.* This wire is + only when you start/crank the car.* And I believe this wire is the Black/Blue wire found in the ignition harness.* But anyone trying this should test out the wire(s) before doing any mod.* And another note, the power of this wire will have 12V when car is cranked,* I don't know if the pulse current sent to the ECU from the TCS button has this much power or if it is less.
[snapback]381232[/snapback]

Vina6, thanks, I did not feel like looking under the car to see the color code. As far as the 12V pulse current, if the relay is wired properly, the current from the starter never reaches the ECU, the current from the starter will simply engergize the relay which in turn closes the loop coming from the ECU. ONLY the current output from the ECU will pass through the controlled leads on the relay and loop back to the ECU, NOT the current from the starter.

Usually a relay is used to allow a small control current to control a much larger switched current, it is possible to use it in reverse such as in this situation where a large control current (12V starter current) is controlling a much smaller current (ECU control signal).

Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
ill be doing this soon . i think your right on the color Vina , but ill have to make sure when i get under there .

only thing tho does the crank wire stay live long enough to turn the TCS off , is another question , i think it will work most of the time but in the winter somtimes the TCS stays off till the car warms up then it turns on by itself .

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I have never had that happen on mine, if that's the case, it would be a simple matter to solder a capacitor across the leads. Depending on cap size, the cap could provide 3-5 sec of discharge after removal of the charge current.

What makes you think the TCS is off on start, and comes on later? The light? I live in a warmer client, so it has never happened to me, but I don't see why Mazda would implement a feature like that. If anything the TCS would be more useful in a colder climate where there is a higher likelihood of ice and snow. If you are judging the status of the TCS based on the light, it is possible the light just takes longer to go out when the car is cold, however that is part of the self test, and does not necessarily indicate the status of the TCS.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to JettaJet
I forget what the exact reasoning behind it is but, yes, when the weather is cold enough the TCS starts in the off position when the car is started. Once the car warms up a bit, it turns back on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
ok about the cap , do you know where i could get that ? radio shack? is there a part number for this .

i figure i would hook it up to the crank wire on the relay right ?

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page