Turn signals blink too fast - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
My left and right turn signals occasionally blink much faster than they're supposed to. Most of the time they're fine, but every once in a while they go crazy. Anybody know a fix for this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to ilal2ielli
Quote:
Originally posted by jimrockford@Mar 15 2005, 11:43 PM
My left and right turn signals occasionally blink much faster than they're supposed to.* Most of the time they're fine, but every once in a while they go crazy.* Anybody know a fix for this issue?
[snapback]378379[/snapback]
i took mine in to the dealer and they cleaned off the contacts that go to the turn signals. so far i haven't had the problem again, but its only been a week or so since i took it in.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Retired Moderator

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you replace the bulb with LEDs? If so, you need to put a load resistor on it.

2006 Black Mazdaspeed6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:56 AM

There's isn't an offical fix for this problem but yes, the dealer should be able to resolve this issue. It has to do with making the proper connections between the contacts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Philips - CPE - Racing Beat - Koni - Mazdaspeed - SSR - Falken
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cachetes
I had this problem... i reversed the bulb. No more problem.

2004 Onyx Black 6S sport, V6 loaded with all the trimmings. Custom blue interior lighting, superwhite parking lights & license plate, PIAA rear directionals, PIAA H1 low beams, Magnaflow performance exhaust, 35% tint all around, brake light mod, 3.5" stubby, clear side markers, 2 12" Infinity reference series subs w/600W Infinity amp in custom fiberglass enclosures, racing lip and tanabe gf20 springs...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Learners License

If you look at the front of your car while it's doing that, you'll see the bulb isn't working on that side. As everyone else said, it's the contacts on the front bulbs. Mine had the same problem...simply unscrew the bulb assembly and bend the contacts slightly outward.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally posted by Bridge@Mar 16 2005, 11:11 PM
If you look at the front of your car while it's doing that, you'll see the bulb isn't working on that side.* As everyone else said, it's the contacts on the front bulbs.* Mine had the same problem...simply unscrew the bulb assembly and bend the contacts slightly outward.
[snapback]378994[/snapback]
You're right. They don't work during the fast blink. I didn't realize that.

So the problem is with the bulbs themselves? Or is it the assembly that holds the bulbs that contains the contacts that need to be adjusted? Is it a bitch to disassemble the assembly? I know the owner's manual recommends having the dealer replace burned out headlights (WTF?), so I figured they probably found a way to keep owners from changing the turn signals too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimrockford@Mar 18 2005, 11:37 AM
You're right.* They don't work during the fast blink.* I didn't realize that.

So the problem is with the bulbs themselves?* Or is it the assembly that holds the bulbs that contains the contacts that need to be adjusted?* Is it a bitch to disassemble the assembly?* I know the owner's manual recommends having the dealer replace burned out headlights (WTF?), so I figured they probably found a way to keep owners from changing the turn signals too.
[snapback]379692[/snapback]
Im not too sure about where the contacts are, but it shouldnt be hard to figure out.... removing the turn signals is incredibly easy. Just open your hood, look at your light fixtures--you'll see a plastic piece with a kindof tail sticking out directly behind where the turn signals are (obviously). Just turn this piece (the first turning part is easy, for me I needed a little force for the final part of the turn) and itll pop loose, then just pull it out. After you do this, you will have taken out the housing for the sidemarker bulb, and the sidemarker bulb. Taking out the bulb is self-explanitory, and once you take out this bulb, Im sure the connectors will be very very easy to find. Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For Sale: Auto EXE Replica Onyx Black Grille--Check Link Below

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This is a known problem, and there was a dealer MRI released in jan 2005 to address it.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=2429

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2003 - 2004 Mazda6 vehicles built before Aug. 6, 2004

DESCRIPTION
The left and/or right front turn signals are inoperative, and the turn signal indicator light in the dash may flash rapidly (approximately twice as fast as normal).

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Cool. Good find.

I tried to fix the problem myself before I saw that. I found that whoever installed the 3M hood protector on the front of my car installed the turn signals backwards. The left and right housings were switched and upside down.

I pulled the metal tabs on the bulbs out a little, re-inserted them, and swapped the signals back so they're on the right sides. I drove around for a while and the turn signals never malfunctioned. The problem was pretty intermittent, so I don't know if it's actually fixed.

I'll probably take it to the dealership to have them add the inserts talked about in the repair document just to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page