LED TAIL LIGHTS? or Turn Signals? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to VAN~MZD~6 Send a message via MSN to VAN~MZD~6 Send a message via Yahoo to VAN~MZD~6
Unhappy

I am trying to find out if anyone has tried LED bulbs for the rear tail lights, or the front turn signals?

I know people I trying to get rid of orange but still have the bright amber glow in the turn signals, and maybe want bright taillights to match...

My question is has anyone tried this, and if someone does have LEDs in the tails or turn signals...How big are the LEDs...and Pics?

Just trying to find an alternative to my chrome bulbs, or silverstar turn signals...

Cause in my opinion my silverstar turn signals light up more of a pink color than amber.

If anyone has anything to say about this please do so...

'04 6i Steel Grey ATX 5-Door
EXTERIOR: American Racing | Anzo | G2 | Mazdaspeed | PIAA | Silverstar | Toyo | Visual Garage | Custom Work
INTERIOR: Autovation | MOMO | Shaun Daurbie Custom | Streetglow | More Custom Work
PERFORMANCE: B&M | Hawk | Injen | Kartboy | Magnaflow | Mazdaspeed | PCP | Tokico
AUDIO: Eclipse | JL Audio | Metra | SIRIUS | TotallyCustomAudioŽ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 04:32 PM

i have left the stock turn signals in the rear. i have the chrome bulbs up front. The brake lights are the matrix leds from autolumination.com. they are the same size as the stock bulb. i love the look. very red. go for it you will love it
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:28 PM

but one drawback is that the are dimmer than stock halogens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to VAN~MZD~6 Send a message via MSN to VAN~MZD~6 Send a message via Yahoo to VAN~MZD~6
So the 15 LED Matrix Bulbs are dimmer than the stock halogen tails?

and the 24 LED Matrix Bulbs are dimmer than the stock halogen and my silverstar turn signals?

Are you serious?

EXTERIOR: American Racing | Anzo | G2 | Mazdaspeed | PIAA | Silverstar | Toyo | Visual Garage | Custom Work
INTERIOR: Autovation | MOMO | Shaun Daurbie Custom | Streetglow | More Custom Work
PERFORMANCE: B&M | Hawk | Injen | Kartboy | Magnaflow | Mazdaspeed | PCP | Tokico

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zm_Zm_Saint
The 15 LED matrix bulbs are brighter than stock IMO. They hurt my eyes if I look directly into them for too long (with brakes applied).

9LED on the inside, 15LED matrix on the outside:

Matrix:

9LED:

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

What is the brightnest difference from just having the lights on and when the brake is applied?

Also do you have any in your turns? Cause I think LEDs would be a easy solution to the no-orange bulb problem people are having...if they are bright enough

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The LEDs have dual circuits so more LEDs are turned on when you step on the brake. Sort of like a dual element bulb. The brake lights are 7443 dual-elements, The 7443 replacement LED has a dual circuit. I have my lower corners hooked up as turns with LEDs and they work fine there. For the rear turns I have LEDs ordered, but I may need load equalizers if they blink too fast. The Silverstar chrome ambers look great up front.

Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion,
, 2 1/4" Exhaust,
, Adjustable Fan Controller
(An
)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 01:52 AM

I just installed 15 LED's for my rear turn signals yesterday. They definitely get rid of the egg yolk look and they are close enough to the brightness of stock. They do make the signals blink fast as hell though. I don't know if I like it that way or not. I wonder if there are legal issues about the fast flashing.

Another question: I was thinking about installing LED's for tail lights and was wondering about the bulb life. Do they last long or do I have to replace them every couple months?

I'm so roundhouse!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlomagneto@Feb 20 2005, 06:52 AM
I just installed 15 LED's for my rear turn signals yesterday. They definitely get rid of the egg yolk look and they are close enough to the brightness of stock. They do make the signals blink fast as hell though. I don't know if I like it that way or not. I wonder if there are legal issues about the fast flashing.

Another question: I was thinking about installing LED's for tail lights and was wondering about the bulb life. Do they last long or do I have to replace them every couple months?
[snapback]366771[/snapback]

did you get the leds from superbriteleds or autolumination.. you can get resistors to remove the fast blinking effect.

One thing about LEDs is that its hit or miss... could last 1 month or more than a year. One thing for sure is that heat will drastically lower the life of LED's...

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
LEDs should last almost forever as long as they are not 'over driven'. The bulb design needs to limit the current flow through each LED to prevent it from burning up. LEDs are like transistors (diodes actually...) which last forever unless they are operated outside of their operating range, and then 'doink', it's toast. I'm guessing that a lot of these LED bulbs are driven at their upper limits to ensure as much brightness as possible so the lifespan is questionable.

Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion,
, 2 1/4" Exhaust,
, Adjustable Fan Controller
(An
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page