LED TAIL LIGHTS? or Turn Signals? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosteen@Feb 20 2005, 09:01 AM
did you get the leds from superbriteleds or autolumination..* you can get resistors to remove the fast blinking effect.

One thing about LEDs is that its hit or miss... could last 1 month or more than a year.* One thing for sure is that heat will drastically lower the life of LED's...
[snapback]366788[/snapback]
If the flasher relay is thermal type you need to replace it with an electronic one.
I just bunged mine in, they flash too fast but I havent checked the flasher relay type yet to find out but led bulbs dont have the resistance to properely load thermal flashers.

If its already electronic then you will need 4 resistors, 1 wired to the feed of each turn signal, these will provide enough resistance to slow the flash rate down. but it can be tricky to find the right wires for the front turn signals.

Flashing to fast could be illegal, here in Europe the law demands a flash rate of between 60 and 120 times a minute.

Theres a big difference between real drivers and those who just hold a licence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
After installing LEDs in the rear turns, the blink rate was way too fast. A 10-ohm resistor should increase the current flow enough to get the blinker working normal again... Looks like I'm headed to radio shack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 2 1/4" Exhaust,
, Adjustable Fan Controller
(An
)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TapDatMac
The turn signals are thermal and I just finished my 21LED turn signal to RED mod. There is a resistor that SuperBrightLEDs.com sells that works perfectly. One drawback, you have to put one load resistor on each led turn signal. If you do all 4 turn signals, then you need 4 load resistors. Maybe I should have done an install how to...

RalcoRZ Short Shift, Atenza Strut Bar, Injen Cold Air, Vision 539 18x8 Rims, BFG G-force KDWS, Eibach Pro-Kit, Red Calipers, Tint, BR Lip, Sport Lower Fog-Lights w/Apexcone 55w 8k HID, Defi Linkmeter BF Gauges, 8k 55w Hid low beams, Vis Invader Hood, R1 Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Racing Beat, Odyssey PC1200. Need that Tuner!!! I hate CELL's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to briansage
I've had the LED rear turns in for a couple of weeks and I've had enough of the "hyper blinkers" by now, so I ordered the 3ohm resistors from autolumination.com.

Where is a good place to put the resistors? I'm thinking of putting them on the rear light wires, since they're pretty accessible, and sticking the resistors down in the tire-well. Anyone got suggestions or picts of their install? Can anyone verify this is the right way to go? sarc:

|
|

2005 6s 5-door ATX, dressed to impress in Volcanic Red.
18" RX-8 oem rims | led tail lights | clear markers | To be continued...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Learners License

Send a message via AIM to Dang8 Send a message via Yahoo to Dang8
An install how-to would be awesome... for us newbies who are afraid they are going to screw up their car.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Retired Moderator

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally posted by Dang8@Mar 1 2005, 06:48 PM
An install how-to would be awesome... for us newbies who are afraid they are going to screw up their car.
[snapback]371222[/snapback]
Click here

2006 Black Mazdaspeed6
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by briansage@Mar 1 2005, 05:28 AM
I've had the LED rear turns in for a couple of weeks and I've had enough of the "hyper blinkers" by now, so I ordered the 3ohm resistors from autolumination.com.

Where is a good place to put the resistors? I'm thinking of putting them on the rear light wires, since they're pretty accessible, and sticking the resistors down in the tire-well. Anyone got suggestions or picts of their install? Can anyone verify this is the right way to go?* sarc:
[snapback]371007[/snapback]

On the rear light wires is the way to go, 'cos like you say theres easy access. If you remove the trunk trim panels there is lots of space behind there where you can hide the resistors. I stuk mine onto bits of the hidden bodywork with double sided sticky foam pads. I fitted the wire to the resistor with a quick release connector so that I can, if necessary, unplug the resistors and refit the regular bulbs without overloading. Don't forget that with resistors wired into your turns that the rapid flashing that warns of bulb failure won't occur.

FYI. If you put LEDs in to your stoplights it may cause your cruise control to malfunction. It does on Euro spec cars. See my posting in Europe section.

Theres a big difference between real drivers and those who just hold a licence.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
Quote:
Originally posted by briansage@Mar 1 2005, 01:28 AM

Where is a good place to put the resistors? I'm thinking of putting them on the rear light wires, since they're pretty accessible, and sticking the resistors down in the tire-well. Anyone got suggestions or picts of their install? Can anyone verify this is the right way to go?* sarc:
[snapback]371007[/snapback]

you only need the 3ohm resister if you have leds in the front AND the back , if you have only the back leds and regular bulbs on the front you need the 6ohm resister , according to autoillumination.com

http://autolumination.com/images/leds/installation.jpg

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just made up my own load resistors. If you just changed out the rear bulbs for LEDs, a 10 ohm @ 10 watt resistors from radio shack works perfectly and costs about $1/side. I mounted the resistor to the inner body just under where the bulbs fit into the lens housing. The trunk carpet liner will pull out of the way for easy access to the lights and wiring. Here is a pic of the driver side with the carpet pulled away from the rear lights.

[attachmentid=2228]

I put a T-tap on each wire going to the signal bulb. There is more room if you put the taps near the stop light socket. I used a small wire tie mount to hold the resistor in place and ran the wires to T-taps on the turn signal light wires. To make it completely reversible, I connected the resistor with insulated spade plugs (AZ or pep boys) Very clean, only about 3" of wire and the resistor stays put!

Let me know if anyone wants more detailed parts and instructions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	load_resitor1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	38638  

Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion,
, 2 1/4" Exhaust,
, Adjustable Fan Controller
(An
)
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to briansage
Quote:
Originally posted by aaman+Mar 1 2005, 03:59 PM-->
Quote:
...I stuk mine onto bits of the hidden bodywork with double sided sticky foam pads.....

FYI. If you put LEDs in to your stoplights it may cause your cruise control to malfunction. It does on Euro spec cars. See my posting in Europe section.
[snapback]371310[/snapback]
[/b]
Stickey pads: What about the heat generated by the resistors? I guess they don't get that hot?

Brakes: Good tip on the brakes. I wonder if they would benefit from resistors, too.

Euro Spec: this thread? http://forum.mazda6club.com/?showtopic=30318
Ha ha... that sucks. Maybe some resistors will fix that, too. I can't wait to see photos of your install, either.

<!--QuoteBegin-twowheelin
@Mar 2 2005, 01:42 AM
I just made up my own load resistors. If you just changed out the rear bulbs for LEDs, a 10 ohm @ 10 watt resistors from radio shack works perfectly and costs about $1/side....
[snapback]371603[/snapback]
Damn! I should have asked around before blowing $18 + shipping on autolumination parts

Thanks for the picture. That helps a ton.

About this funny cruise behavior: I haven&#39;t had any problems yet, but I&#39;ve only replaced the two outer brake lights. I wanted to be sure they were bright enough to be safe before going through all 5 red rear lights. Any knowledge about adding resistors to brake lights?

|
|

2005 6s 5-door ATX, dressed to impress in Volcanic Red.
18" RX-8 oem rims | led tail lights | clear markers | To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page