An Interesting Note on Mazda6 Projectors - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just an observation I made recently while replacing some bulbs in my headlights. If you open your hood and wipe off the grime that has doubtlessly accumulated on top of your headlight assemblies, you can see that the bulb type is actually imprinted in the plastic above each light. Over the high beam is "H1," over the fog beam is "H3," and over the low beam is...

"H1 or D2S"

Now, I only point this out because there has been a lot of discussion in this forum about "our projectors are not suited for HID retrofit, etc." While I am not discounting others' knowledge of the physics of lighting, there does seem to be some indication that our stock projectors ARE at least somewhat suited to HID bulbs (although a Bosch projector would still undoubtedly look better). I installed H1-based HIDs in my 03 6i and have been very satisfied with the end result.

If this is an old observation that was made months ago, let me know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoom Zoom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:08 PM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSix@Feb 17 2005, 07:40 PM
"H1 or D2S"

While I am not discounting others' knowledge of the physics of lighting, there does seem to be some indication that our stock projectors ARE at least somewhat suited to HID bulbs (although a Bosch projector would still undoubtedly look better).
From all the information that I have gathered the 6 headlight assembly can indeed accommodate two different projectors. The first is the standard halogen projector which uses H1 bulbs. The second is the Bosch e46 HID projector which uses D2S bulbs. The assembly also has the mounting holes for the ballast and a knock-out hole for the wiring. Regardless, the fact remains that D2S bulbs will NOT fit the standard halogen projector.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
I have noticed this as well. From what others have show us, I think it's safe to say that the assembly says H1/D2S both on it because both H1 and D2S projectors fit and have mounting locations built in. In other words, the headlight assembly will accept both types of projectors. However, this does not mean (to me, anyway) that the H1 projector is designed to house a HID bulb. There are design and manufacturing differences between the two. IMO, the only way to go is the retrofit, although I have not seen the H1 projector with a conversion kit in person yet. The retro only costs about $100 extra to do it right though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page