Pics of the Defi-D's lit up - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 6-s-5door
So, I just spent 30 min doing a good writup on how do do this, hit preview, and it dissapeared. So now all you get is some pictures cuz Im not typing all that shit again.

Rough scematic of how I hooked the wires up. The fuse is for the Parking Lights.

This is the ground I used instead of the Cig lighter ground. This is the Metal post in the center of where you remove the CD player/ HVAC console. the wire on the left of the factory ground, the blue spec on the right is mine.

These are finished results.

2004 6s 5-Door; loaded
CP-E MafCi (Prototype), Tanabe GF210, Yokohama ES100, Sylfex AuxMod, 35% Tint, RPM Short shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:00 PM

I like those guages....they match the already present interior lights very well.

Mike / 2004 Mazda 6s / V6 5-Speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
///
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
///
///
///

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:07 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
real nice , i want to do this sometime , just wish i knew where to make all the connections under the hood , are there any posts that have a how to .

also does it matter that you have the 12volt battery wire and ignition wire connected to the switched power source , do the guages have any memory features like last high reading , i assume that thay will be lost when you turn the car off , if there are any features like that.

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm not a fan of the bezels on the Defis, but they look damn good at night.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:42 PM

I just attempted installing my Defi's today. And at the end of about 11 hours of frustration, all they do is light up. They don't move, and I have an oil leak.

What does it mean when they don't move? (bad ground maybe... I used the cig lighter) Also, do you need to use that 12V line? I was told it was redundant to the Ignition line for cars that didn't have an ignition-on or something.

Not sure how I'm going to get to work tomorrow.

2003 Performance White 6i Sedan, MTX Used to have a turbo, now pursuing the DD dream

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to leftyrev
i would think 12v would mean a constant on connection and the ignition wire is just to give the signal for the guages to turn on , similar to a car amp . probably if you dont connect the 12v they wont power up , you might be able to not install the ignition wire from the guages and connect the 12v wire to the car ignition . i dont see why it would need a constant power flow its not like these guges have any need for memory backup . but then again im just assuming as i never hooked up gauges myself

2004 Steel grey MAZDA 6 hatchback , owned since 12\19\04
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 6-s-5door
Quote:
Originally posted by leftyrev+Feb 14 2005, 02:07 AM-->
Quote:
Are there any posts that have a how to ?

also does it matter that you have the 12volt battery wire and ignition wire connected to the switched power source , do the guages have any memory features like last high reading , i assume that thay will be lost when you turn the car off , if there are any features like that.
[snapback]363626[/snapback]
[/b]
Yes there are some How tos over at www.mazta6tech.com I will try to do one when I install mine. But I am usually pressed for time, So I install without taking alot of breaks.

and No, their are no memory functions. There is an ajustable arrow on the bezel you use for that. So the connections are fine.

<!--QuoteBegin-CvilleSix
@Feb 14 2005, 02:42 AM
I just attempted installing my Defi&#39;s today. And at the end of about 11 hours of frustration, all they do is light up. They don&#39;t move, and I have an oil leak.

What does it mean when they don&#39;t move? (bad ground maybe... I used the cig lighter) Also, do you need to use that 12V line? I was told it was redundant to the Ignition line for cars that didn&#39;t have an ignition-on or something.

Not sure how I&#39;m going to get to work tomorrow.
[snapback]363649[/snapback]
Hell yes you have to use the 12v line. The ignition just tells it when to turn on. The 12v supplies the constant voltage to make the gauge work. Atleast thats what I got from pining the gauge out. I couldnt find a good schematic for the gauge so I had to pin it out. The whole oil leak thing. How did you hook yours up? Im hooing mine up by puting a T on the stock Oil Pressure sender location on the block and then putting the stock one on one side and the one that came with the gauge on the other. Hope it works.

2004 6s 5-Door; loaded
CP-E MafCi (Prototype), Tanabe GF210, Yokohama ES100, Sylfex AuxMod, 35% Tint, RPM Short shifter.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 6-s-5door@Feb 14 2005, 12:52 AM
Hell yes you have to use the 12v line.* The ignition just tells it when to turn on.* The 12v supplies the constant voltage to make the gauge work.* Atleast thats what I got from pining the gauge out.* I couldnt find a good schematic for the gauge so I had to pin it out.* The whole oil leak thing.* How did you hook yours up?* Im hooing mine up by puting a T on the stock Oil Pressure sender location on the block and then putting the stock one on one side and the one that came with the gauge on the other.* Hope it works.
[snapback]363672[/snapback]
Aha. I think I got confused by what someone said then... I&#39;ll get that sucker hooked up.

And yeah, that&#39;s exactly how I did the oil hookup. On the 6i, the stock port is a 1/4NPT. (That&#39;s important, because the V6 is 3/8NPT and I assumed mine was the same... WRONG!). Just got a nipple to a female T and then plug in stock sender and a bushing for the 1/8NPT Defi adapter on the other side.

My problem, apparently, is that I didn&#39;t tighten the nipple in the stock port enough. So I have to uninstall the filter housing again (what a bitch!) and try to retighten it. Ugh.

The bad thing about the 2.3L is that I don&#39;t think there&#39;s any way to do it without uninstalling the filter housing. It actually makes it a lot easier to do the plumbing, but a pain nonetheless.

2003 Performance White 6i Sedan, MTX Used to have a turbo, now pursuing the DD dream

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They look awesome, cant wait to get mine in. Im surprised the 12v lines need to be different for the gauges to work, guess thats why they are so much more advanced then autometers

Oh yeah Im afraid to ask what temp that is reading. Why is it so high?

2006 Titanium Grey Mazdaspeed 6 - now only mostly stock...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by CvilleSix@Feb 13 2005, 10:42 PM
What does it mean when they don&#39;t move? (bad ground maybe... I used the cig lighter) Also, do you need to use that 12V line? I was told it was redundant to the Ignition line for cars that didn&#39;t have an ignition-on or something.
Did you not use the 12V line at all? If so thats why it didnt move. You problably could use the same line for 12V and ignition but you still have to hook both wires up to it.

2006 Titanium Grey Mazdaspeed 6 - now only mostly stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page