So more on the lights thing - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

so i thought about HID.....mmm.....don't know much about eletrical or stuff like that so if i got this then i would have a place do it for me..just to be sure....HID seems quite expensive and not sure if I would get this..so i thought about the other light stuff(PIAA,silverstars etc) I mean i would be cool with a whiter brighter light and no yellow.....so what do you guys recommend as far as lighting besides HID?......How much of a hassle is it to install the other kinds of lighting?(PIAA,silverstars etc) Would I have to take off the bumper for just installing a non-HID light? HID is the real thing..but a much brighter whiter cheaper light would be just fine......any ideas would be welcomed and help as well...thanks JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
I'm in the same boat as you. HID's are great, but I'm having a hard time justifying $300 for lights. I went with the Osram Silverstars rather than the Sylvania, and they're pretty damn good. You can get 'em off Ebay for like $30. The Sylvania's are whiter cuz of the blue tint on the bulb, but the Osrams are brighter (because no tint on the bulb, duh) but they're nowhere close to HID's, but only 10% of the cost. If you really want good lights, HID's are the only way to go. The Osrams are a mild improvement over stock, but nothing like HIDs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jan 13 2005, 05:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as you.* HID's are great, but I'm having a hard time justifying $300 for lights.* I went with the Osram Silverstars rather than the Sylvania, and they're pretty damn good. You can get 'em off Ebay for like $30.* The Sylvania's are whiter cuz of the blue tint on the bulb, but the Osrams are brighter (because no tint on the bulb, duh) but they're nowhere close to HID's, but only 10% of the cost.* If you really want good lights, HID's are the only way to go.* The Osrams are a mild improvement over stock, but nothing like HIDs.
[snapback]346972[/snapback]
yeah ..that is true.........how do you install just the regular lights not the hids.....and how much difference is it ......much better or just a little
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Installing the low beams is easy. Remove dust cap (big round piece of plastic), unclip bulb, remove bulb, unplug bulb, reverse process, done. Very simple, just don't touch the bulb. I'd say it's a reasonable improvement from stock, but not THAT much different. You'll notice the difference on very dark roads, but nothing like the difference between halogen and HID. I drove my mom's RX8 not long ago with factory HIDs and the difference is unbelieveable. It's like daytime in front of the car. Only reason why I haven't added HID's to mine is I'm afraid the outcome won't be as good as factory and I'll spend $300 and be disappointed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jan 13 2005, 05:54 PM
Installing the low beams is easy.* Remove dust cap (big round piece of plastic), unclip bulb, remove bulb, unplug bulb, reverse process, done.* Very simple, just don't touch the bulb.* I'd say it's a reasonable improvement from stock, but not THAT much different.* You'll notice the difference on very dark roads, but nothing like the difference between halogen and HID.* I drove my mom's RX8 not long ago with factory HIDs and the difference is unbelieveable.* It's like daytime in front of the car.* Only reason why I haven't added HID's to mine is I'm afraid the outcome won't be as good as factory and I'll spend $300 and be disappointed.
[snapback]346989[/snapback]
sounds easy.....do you have to take off the front bumper?...or do you just unclip the light housing and they come out......yeah HIDS are expensive......i've seen ones for 150 to 585 on sites and ebay.......plus i think you have to remove this clip thing so you won't get glare from HID's...but its worth it if you have the money.......damn money!!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:33 PM

You do NOT need to remove the bumper to change the bulbs. However, I would reccomend removing it if you do HIDs, cuz underneath the headlight housing is a great spot to mount the ballasts. If you're just replacing the bulb, just go at it from the back of the headlight housing. The dustcap screws off. I don't know about the glare from HID's cuz I've never seen them in person on the 6 (another reason why I haven't purchased them for my car, I need to see them! Come on, someone in Cleveland, get HIDs so I can see what it looks like!), but for sure you don't need to take the bumper off to just change bulbs.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jan 13 2005, 06:33 PM
You do NOT need to remove the bumper to change the bulbs.* However, I would reccomend removing it if you do HIDs, cuz underneath the headlight housing is a great spot to mount the ballasts.* If you're just replacing the bulb, just go at it from the back of the headlight housing.* The dustcap screws off.* I don't know about the glare from HID's cuz I've never seen them in person on the 6 (another reason why I haven't purchased them for my car, I need to see them!* Come on, someone in Cleveland, get HIDs so I can see what it looks like!), but for sure you don't need to take the bumper off to just change bulbs.
[snapback]347027[/snapback]

thanks alot man for your help.......i just read some posts of that HID headlight unit for the mazda 6....for 700 dollars...WOW that would be awesome plus it be and look professional done...all you would have to do is install it...they already did the HID and everything for you...i hope that can be afforded as well when they come out!!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:15 PM

Yeah, IF that ever comes out, we'll have to wait and see. I keep going back and forth about the HID thing. I just can't decide if it's worth it. Same with exhaust, back and forth. I just don't want to drop hundreds on something I don't like.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to CopperHead
For the amount of money you spent on replacing the Bulbs as they burn out.. you will have paid for the HID kit.

Plus it's aggravating to always be discovering that one bulbs blows and not the other. Better chance of getting puller over.

2006 Sonic Blue Volvo S60R
RIP - 2004 Blazing Copper 6s|6000K XenonDepot|35% Rear Tint|Magnaflow Cat-Back
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CopperHead@Jan 13 2005, 08:21 PM
For the amount of money you spent on replacing the Bulbs as they burn out.. you will have paid for the HID kit.

Plus it's aggravating to always be discovering that one bulbs blows and not the other.* Better chance of getting puller over.
[snapback]347142[/snapback]
true, but they say silverstars have a life expectancy of one year....i think if the factors are right then they could last longer...but yeah that would suck to get pulled over for a damn headlight i think i might just TRY the silver stars first as an upgrade and then if they suck that bad and stuff then its back to regular or just wait for that mazda HID kit coming soon ya know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page