So more on the lights thing - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Since aftermarket HID's are illegal, you could POTENTIALLY be pulled over for having them too. Plus, I'm concerned about the longevity of the HIDs since you have to drill in that dustcap, what happens when they burn out and you have to go back to halogens? Will they outlast the car like some say, or last 3-5 years like others say?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jan 13 2005, 08:37 PM
Since aftermarket HID's are illegal, you could POTENTIALLY be pulled over for having them too.* Plus, I'm concerned about the longevity of the HIDs since you have to drill in that dustcap, what happens when they burn out and you have to go back to halogens?* Will they outlast the car like some say, or last 3-5 years like others say?
[snapback]347165[/snapback]
yeah it almost seems like a chance you take....but they have LOTS of cars out there with HIDS(acura,BMW,mercedes etc) How would the cops know what to pull over or not ya know...so i bet it rare that you would ever get pulled over but its still a possiblity.....i think i will just try the white halogens to start .....
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You want high wattage clear halogen? (Sorry, I'm not sure what bulbs you guys use)

http://www.classicgarage.com/clearhalbul.html

'05 6s hatch 6-speed auto: optimized AEM CAI, Racing Beat exhaust, VVME 4300k 55watt HID, Kosei K1-TS, 215-50-17 Continental DWS, Progress rear sway bar, RB front sway bar, GTSpec ladder brace, Mazdaspeed springs with 3/4" rear lift spring spacer, Bilstein HD shocks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have "saggy butt" syndrome? Want to even out your drop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to CopperHead
H1 bulbs in both low and high beams. H3 for integrated fogs.

2006 Sonic Blue Volvo S60R
RIP - 2004 Blazing Copper 6s|6000K XenonDepot|35% Rear Tint|Magnaflow Cat-Back
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Retired Moderator

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend PIAA bulbs.

Thread about PIAA

2006 Black Mazdaspeed6
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jan 13 2005, 01:24 PM
I'm in the same boat as you.* HID's are great, but I'm having a hard time justifying $300 for lights.* I went with the Osram Silverstars rather than the Sylvania, and they're pretty damn good. You can get 'em off Ebay for like $30.* The Sylvania's are whiter cuz of the blue tint on the bulb, but the Osrams are brighter (because no tint on the bulb, duh) but they're nowhere close to HID's, but only 10% of the cost.* If you really want good lights, HID's are the only way to go.* The Osrams are a mild improvement over stock, but nothing like HIDs.
[snapback]346972[/snapback]
What's the diff between the Osram Silverstars and Sylvania Silverstars? I just bought some, and the packaging has both Osram AND Sylavia written on it. I think Sylvania owns Osram, or the other way around. In any case, these bulbs are rated at 4000K. Quite good for a simple H1 bulb.

VANCOUVER MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR
2004 Mazda6 GT Hatch I4 MTX

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Jan 13 2005, 04:37 PM
Since aftermarket HID's are illegal, you could POTENTIALLY be pulled over for having them too.* Plus, I'm concerned about the longevity of the HIDs since you have to drill in that dustcap, what happens when they burn out and you have to go back to halogens?* Will they outlast the car like some say, or last 3-5 years like others say?
[snapback]347165[/snapback]

Forgive my ignorance, but how would the police know that your headlights are aftermarket HID's?

"Love Thy Neighbor as thyself. What, am I supposed to jerk him off too?"--Rodney Dangerfield 1921-2004

2004 Steel Gray Metallic Sedan, ATX, Alpine CDA-9855, Boston Acoustics Separates, JL Audio 300/4 and 250/1, JL Audio 12" Sub, Lower Fogs, HID's, Amsoil. More to come.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:44 PM

i think too many people are hung up on what the police will pull you over for, that or the cops in your areas suck. for instance, i have blue lights in the parking lights, the liscense plate, inside, and under the car, the true euro tails and the rear reflectors are totally black and the window tint is too dark... now i may get nailed tomorrow, but i have never been hasseled for any of it.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Quote:
What's the diff between the Osram Silverstars and Sylvania Silverstars? I just bought some, and the packaging has both Osram AND Sylavia written on it. I think Sylvania owns Osram, or the other way around. In any case, these bulbs are rated at 4000K. Quite good for a simple H1 bulb
I think Osram and Sylvania are the same company, but Osram Silverstars and Sylvania Silverstars are very different. Sylvania's are blue tinted, decreasing the light output slightly while Osrams are clear. Also, Osrams are made in Europe; I think the Sylvania's are the U.S. version, however most say that the U.S. version is of substandard quality. Burning out soon, lower performance, etc. I love the Osrams, I've had them ever since I got the car and they're going strong in both my lows and lower fogs. You can see the difference in the bulbs:
OSRAMS

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but how would the police know that your headlights are aftermarket HID's?
They'd either have to know that the 6 does not come equipped with HID's factory, or the glare was too bad from the halogen projectors that it tipped 'em off that something was up. Or, if the K rating is too high and they look real blue, that would tip 'em off too.

Quote:
i think too many people are hung up on what the police will pull you over for, that or the cops in your areas suck. for instance, i have blue lights in the parking lights, the liscense plate, inside, and under the car, the true euro tails and the rear reflectors are totally black and the window tint is too dark... now i may get nailed tomorrow, but i have never been hasseled for any of it.
Maybe so, but I really don't ever want police hassles, especially hassles that are provoked by something I've done. I have yet to see aftermarket HID's on a 6 so I can't tell how "aftermarket" they look, so I'm not convinced that I will be safe. Aftermarket HID's are illegal for a reason, and I'm just not sold on the fact that our halogen projectors are sufficient for such an intense light output.

And yes, the police in my area (especially East Cleveland) DO suck. One of my coworkers got pulled over and ticketed for having a FACTORY tow ball installed in the bumper of his S-10 that "blocked" his license plate. Just one example....

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MZBuckeye@Feb 11 2005, 03:51 PM
I think Osram and Sylvania are the same company, but Osram Silverstars and Sylvania Silverstars are very different.* Sylvania's are blue tinted, decreasing the light output slightly while Osrams are clear.* Also, Osrams are made in Europe; I think the Sylvania's are the U.S. version, however most say that the U.S. version is of substandard quality.* Burning out soon, lower performance, etc.* I love the Osrams, I've had them ever since I got the car and they're going strong in both my lows and lower fogs.* You can see the difference in the bulbs:
OSRAMS
They'd either have to know that the 6 does not come equipped with HID's factory, or the glare was too bad from the halogen projectors that it tipped 'em off that something was up.* Or, if the K rating is too high and they look real blue, that would tip 'em off too.
Maybe so, but I really don't ever want police hassles, especially hassles that are provoked by something I've done.* I have yet to see aftermarket HID's on a 6 so I can't tell how "aftermarket" they look, so I'm not convinced that I will be safe.* Aftermarket HID's are illegal for a reason, and I'm just not sold on the fact that our halogen projectors are sufficient for such an intense light output.*

And yes, the police in my area (especially East Cleveland) DO suck.* One of my coworkers got pulled over and ticketed for having a FACTORY tow ball installed in the bumper of his S-10 that "blocked" his license plate.* Just one example....
[snapback]362470[/snapback]

whats up man...so you have osrams.......how long have they lasted you...do you have any pics.....people are talking all bad on the silverstars....osrams might be my choice...how white,blue are they?...are they 4000k as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page