Mazda6 Reverse Indiglo Gauges - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigma@Oct 17 2004, 12:18 AM
Sorry, man, but most every cockpit I've ever seen (and it's a lot) is mostly red.* The exception are data displays that needed color-coding to signify varying things, like aircraft weather radar.* Even in aircraft where the gauges are not displayed in red for various reasons the lighting within the cockpit is all red.

At night the color red is the least attention getting, and warnings are usually displayed in white/yellow (note our check engine light is yellow).

Older plane -- C-7 Caribou:

None of the new multi-colored LCD displays of newer planes, so all guages and dials are entirely red.

Don't get any more modern than the 777:

Notice it's all backlit red except where color-coded data is displayed.* The upper area, where the pilot will be looking out the window is all red so that the light doesn't affect his night vision.

A helicopter too (Sea King):

Helicopter cockpits often illuminate as much red as possible as the pilot is frequently looking around in all directions and cannot have his vision affected.
[snapback]316641[/snapback]
Hey Sigma,

Are all 3 of those pictures in simulators? May I ask where they were taken? I've actually worked on developing several flight simulators...but I've never seen one that had red lights like that...they were all bizjets, and a TH-57 helicopter.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Retired Moderator

The 777 is the only simulator picture but I can't imagine the lighting would change between a simulator and the real thing, that could get mighty confusing.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigma@Oct 17 2004, 01:28 AM
The 777 is the only simulator picture but I can't imagine the lighting would change between a simulator and the real thing, that could get mighty confusing.
[snapback]316660[/snapback]
Oh no, I wasn't arguing, I believe you...I was just wondering if you happened to be in the simulation industry like I was (perhaps an instructor or something). I've actually spent a good amount of time at DFW for simulator installations. If so many cockpits are red like that, it's odd that I never came across one.

Anyway, I do know that what I said about NVG is true...that Sea King cockpit is probably not suitable for NVG operation. On our TH-57 sim, we actually had to put green filters over the 7 segment radio displays for NVG training.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Retired Moderator

Nope, I just pulled those from doing an Image Search on Google for "Cockpit Night". I've just been in a lot of cockpits because I do a LOT of travelling, flying 2 to 4 times a week. Back before all the added security I could go up and talk to the pilots (not so unusual when you see some of them several times a week), and years ago I would do the same on military aircraft when taking Space-A flights.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigma@Oct 17 2004, 01:41 AM
Nope, I just pulled those from doing an Image Search on Google for "Cockpit Night".* I've just been in a lot of cockpits because I do a LOT of travelling, flying 2 to 4 times a week.* Back before all the added security I could go up and talk to the pilots (not so unusual when you see some of them several times a week), and years ago I would do the same on military aircraft when taking Space-A flights.
[snapback]316666[/snapback]
I have to admit, I don't see the red backlighting in the 777 pic you showed. Here's a daytime picture of a 777 cockpit. This is closer to what I'm used to.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 03:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to renniew98
the reason for the red is because its a lower wavelength and its less harmful to the rolls in the eyes....the rods built up "visual purlpe" which senses the light.....white or blue lights are a more intense and act like a flash bulb in the rod...discharging all the visual purple...the problem is that it can take up to 30 minutes for the visual purple to return to fully...as a result red is perffered because it slowy discharges the visual purple and you still have good night vision....

I could go really into detail but thats the reason for red in general and commercial avaition...but i'm unsure of military

Speed Yellow 03 mazda 6i
ATX,Custom Grey leather interior, heated seats, moon roof, ground effects
Mods: dont be lazey just look in the garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page