Having dealer install new bulbs - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
6ix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically, I'm going to have my dealer install new main and fog lights for me. I don't want to mess with doing it myself, especially since I have the V6 and there is no room in the engine bay.

Okay, so we have 50w harnesses. Obviously would like HID, but I think I'm just going to go with some bulbs that will give a very similar appearance. Maybe PIAA's. Any suggestions? I assume I'll be frequenting the autolumination website a lot.

I'm not looking for any crazy shit either. Just a little brighter and whiter/purple.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Retired Moderator

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I have PIAA bulb. They are 100% white without any blueish tint. Therefore, if you are looking for blueish - purplish tint, you should buy other bulb.

If you have small hands, you can replace the main headlight bulb yourself without removing parts. I did it (well partially because my wife was helping me).

I believe the wattage of our headlight is 55w not 50w. Becareful when buying bulbs because some of them are rated 100w. You can burn your wiring if you buy 100w.

Autolumination sells several different kinds of H1 bulbs, and they're cheap. I think it's only $2+. You can give them a try and let us know if it's any good.

PIAA on the other hand cost about $50 for a pair.

2006 Black Mazdaspeed6
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to QuiQsV6
FYI, they will try and charge you for the install unless you are replacing them with OEM bulbs. That's what they tried to do to me when I had them put in my silverstars. $80 they were trying to charge me!! They didn't say they were gonna charge me first of all, then they didn't even call me to tell me either. So after I started to get mad they backed out of the charges. I told them that the manual says to take it to the dealer for whenever you change bulbs. I told them if they hadn't made that shit such a bitch to replace I'd do it myself! Well now I know that if I even have to change bulbs again I'll go at it on my own.

<span style=\'color:red\'>Ryde or Die QuiQ!!</span>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
</span>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<span style=\'color:red\'>October&#39;s 6 of the month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to DRAGONS6 Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGONS6
I think they charged me at least $100. But now I figured out how to do it. I think the only tough bulbs are the low beams. But I put HID&#39;s into those. just be careful changing the parking bulbs. Yesterday both of them fell in the headlight housing while I was trying to change them. 1st time thats happened. Figure I&#39;ll I need to take off the bumper anyways.

64 mods (so far) Too much money spent

6 of the month on eastcoast6.com March 2005 NH01

(better pics)
and check out myspace

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Indy MPS6
Come on now....I&#39;m 6&#39;2", 230lbs. I can even change my bulbs. You do not need to pay a dealer to do this....

Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:58 AM

i agree, you shouldnt have to take it to the dealer to install your bulbs...

the first time i did my low beams i moved the airbox and the coolent out of the way and it was challenging at first but after you do it once it&#39;ll be easier. One thing i&#39;ve heard is that if you jack up the front of your 6 and take off the wheel and wheel well lining, you&#39;ll get an easier access and vantage point to the back of the headlights.... or you can do take off the front bumper and remove the headlight unit and just take your time that way.

if you have problems, try to find someone in your area that has already changed their bulbs and ask if they can help.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 AM
ATL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ATL Send a message via MSN to ATL Send a message via Yahoo to ATL
Yeah. Hell I had the other 6 owners at the NJ meet change out my park lights. hehe

Black CP-E CAI/Black HKS BOV/TurboXS RP/RX-8 Wheels/MS6 Coming soon... LOL
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ATL@Sep 27 2004, 03:11 AM
Yeah.* Hell I had the other 6 owners at the NJ meet change out my park lights. hehe
[snapback]307986[/snapback]

THAT WAS ME YOU PUNK!!!! i changed like 5 people&#39;s parking lights that nite in the mall parking lot... then the parking lot security drove by thinking we were stealing cars or something and then said "Nice cars!"

/edit
And then at Paul&#39;s Delaware meet Steve from NJ asked me to change one that had blown out!!! i should have charged you guys $20 each!

/edit

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Learners License

I don&#39;t have much experience working with cars besides changing oil, but i figured out to replace the low beam and turn signal lights myself without much instructions on my V6. it&#39;s not difficult, just be patient and be careful (changing low beam on passenger side is much easier if you move the coolant reservoir aside by removing the screws first).

I change my low beam to Sylvania SilverStar, which I am not satisfied at all. It is whiter but not brighter. Now i&#39;m saving for some HIDs. The blue SilverStar turn signal light is much cooler though (blue when off, amber when on).

i&#39;d suggest DIY. You&#39;ll save $ along with some great feeling of accomplishment, and knowing you won&#39;t need to get ripped off if you need to change bulb in the future.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
6ix

I agree that if I did it myself I would feel a great bit of accomplishment. But, this is a piece of $27K machinery with lots of little clips and other gizmos. All of which could be easily messed up by my hands. If you are a common visitor to this site, you might remember that I was the one that totally destroyed my center console (yup, that $550 part that has all of the HVAC and audio controls.) THAT WAS ME!! So, I&#39;m kinda thinking that I am not that awful mechanically inclined. When I see "just take the bumper off" or "jack up and remove wheels", I only see the repurcussions of my efforts. And they&#39;re bad.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions though. I checked out autolumination but they fail to indicate wattage on the bulbs. now I&#39;m thinking PIAA&#39;s, even though they are pricey.

Car goes in tomorrow for some funky tranny problems. Seems to shudder A LITTLE. Not a lot like I have seen in other posts. And yes, I know how to drive a friggin stick. I&#39;m sure they will ask me that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page