Having dealer install new bulbs - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 6ix@Sep 27 2004, 08:07 PM
I agree that if I did it myself I would feel a great bit of accomplishment.* But, this is a piece of $27K machinery with lots of little clips and other gizmos.* All of which could be easily messed up by my hands.* If you are a common visitor to this site, you might remember that I was the one that totally destroyed my center console (yup, that $550 part that has all of the HVAC and audio controls.)* THAT WAS ME!!* So, I'm kinda thinking that I am not that awful mechanically inclined.* When I see "just take the bumper off" or "jack up and remove wheels", I only see the repurcussions of my efforts.* And they're bad.*

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions though. I checked out autolumination but they fail to indicate wattage on the bulbs.* now I'm thinking PIAA's, even though they are pricey.*

Car goes in tomorrow for some funky tranny problems.* Seems to shudder A LITTLE.* Not a lot like I have seen in other posts.* And yes, I know how to drive a friggin stick.* I'm sure they will ask me that one.
[snapback]308285[/snapback]
As far as 'jack the car up and remove the wheels" goes, I think that's rediculous advice as well. The job is easily done from over the hood, and at most, you need to remove 3 screws to get to the coolant resorvoir over, and you don't need to disconnect any hoses or anything.

If you can get help from a friend in order to feel more confident, try that, but don't fork over exorbitant costs for a 20 minute job. If you don't force anything, you won't break anything. I gave a bit of a description in this thread, for reference. The foglights also has a connector that's hard to reach...just be careful not to lose track of where it falls when you disconnect it. I'm 6'1", so I don't have small hands. I found it tricky at times, but was still able to get the job done.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 08:03 PM

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MZBuckeye
Hey 6ix, did you end up having to pay for a new center console or what happened with that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 08:30 PM

Paying someone to put in new bulbs for you?? i had to replace all 4 bulbs (both sides hi and lo) and it took me no more than 15 minutes in the parking lot of my work; without removing any things in the bay, and i have a v6...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
6ix

Hmm, well maybe I'll give it a shot. The dealer basically told me not to do it. never even gave me a number. Just said that it was dangerous to do because I might fry the wiring. Well, if I stick with a 55w bulb I won't fry it!! Errrr.

Anyhow, as for the center console thing, everything turned out just fine. Since I had referred two other customers to them (one a 3, the other a 6), I think they just turned it in under warranty. I love Mazda so much. They knew it was my fault, but just turned their head. Fortunately, I just moved out of the area and will never be going back to the dealer that performed the procedure. I kinda ran out of there!!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DRAGONS6@Sep 26 2004, 01:40 PM
I think they charged me at least $100.* But now I figured out how to do it.* I think the only tough bulbs are the low beams. But I put HID's into those.** just be careful changing the parking bulbs.* Yesterday both of them fell in the headlight housing while I was trying to change them.* 1st time thats happened.* Figure I'll I need to take off the bumper anyways.
[snapback]307875[/snapback]

Did you ever get the bulbs out of the housing yet? If you didn't why don't you just remove the highbeam light bulb, and get something long and bendable, such as a metal hanger and put a lot of tape on the end but with the sticky part facing outward, and just stick it in the socket to make it stick to the bulb and slowly pull it out. That's what I did when I my signal bulb fell in the housing.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 02:57 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally posted by amy504@Oct 3 2004, 01:24 AM
Did you ever get the bulbs out of the housing yet? If you didn't why don't you just remove the highbeam light bulb, and get something long and bendable, such as a metal hanger and put a lot of tape on the end but with the sticky part facing outward, and just stick it in the socket to make it stick to the bulb and slowly pull it out. That's what I did when I my signal bulb fell in the housing.
[snapback]310758[/snapback]
Haha.. that sounds like the solution I eventually came up with when I did the same thing. Tried to get a 6LED to fit as a parking light, but it caught something and fell into the housing. Spent a good couple hours pushing it around with pencils and popsicle sticks and glue and tape... Man that was frustrating. Ended up getting some PIAA 194s to match my lows and fogs (yes, even the 194's are $$$).

2003 Performance White 6i Sedan, MTX Used to have a turbo, now pursuing the DD dream

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to DRAGONS6 Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGONS6
No I left them in the bottom. I'm going to take off my headlights to install Bluebats overlays so I figure I'll just wait until then. They're really not hurting anything right now.

64 mods (so far) Too much money spent

6 of the month on eastcoast6.com March 2005 NH01

(better pics)
and check out myspace

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Learners License

I dropped one of my 194 lights when I changed it and I was late for work, so I just left it there. Funny thing is that it wasn't there when I got to work. I think there is an opening in the back of the headlight housing that allows things to roll out or whatever.

Also, I have a question about changing the low beam lights. I can get to the lights, but do they actually twist out, or can you just pull them out? There doesnt seem to be a clip or anything on them, so I was just curious, because I have H1 replacements from autolumination, and I'd like to install them, I just don't want the bulb to break when I'm taking it out of the actual headlight housing.

Any help or advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant@Oct 6 2004, 12:10 AM
I dropped one of my 194 lights when I changed it and I was late for work, so* I just left it there.* Funny thing is that it wasn't there when I got to work.* I think there is an opening in the back of the headlight housing that allows things to roll out or whatever.

Also, I have a question about changing the low beam lights.* I can get to the lights, but do they actually twist out, or can you just pull them out?* There doesnt seem to be a clip or anything on them, so I was just curious, because I have H1 replacements from autolumination, and I'd like to install them, I just don't want the bulb to break when I'm taking it out of the actual headlight housing.

Any help or advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!
[snapback]312004[/snapback]
There's a metal retainer clip holding it in place. If you can, see if you can get a good look in bright sunlight by leaning over it and taking a peek...it's the best way to tell how it works.

There's a metal wire loop protruding back from the fixture. You need to push it in, and move it over to free it from the hook holding it in place. It's hinged at the top, so when you get it free, it will swing upward, and then you can just pull the bulb out.

Drew
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 12:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to DRAGONS6 Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGONS6
The bulb probably didn't fall out its just hidden behind the houseing. Mine are sitting way at the bottom of the highbeam, can't see them w/o a flashlight.

64 mods (so far) Too much money spent

6 of the month on eastcoast6.com March 2005 NH01

(better pics)
and check out myspace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page