Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to blackmagik_13 Send a message via MSN to blackmagik_13 Send a message via Yahoo to blackmagik_13
Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...

Hi,

I saw a previous thread that talked about hardwiring your radar detector to your sunroof, but I don't have a sunroof. I've done a :search and came up with all sorts of BS about brands of radar detectors and about 47 pgs. of straight repetitive crap, so sorry if it's been previously posted. If you know where it's at, point me to it.

Don't mean to come off as mean, but I attempted to search.

Onto the question. As stated in the subject, is there a way to hardwire a radar detector into the wire that runs to the rear view mirror if it has the homelink and compass/ autodim built in??? Basically, the electronic rearview mirror. Also, so it would automatically come on during ignition, obviously. Thanks for the help, and again, sorry if it's been previously posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 AM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nautec Send a message via MSN to nautec
Replying to Topic 'Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to blackmagik_13 Send a message via MSN to blackmagik_13 Send a message via Yahoo to blackmagik_13
Reading Topic: Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...

Wow, THANKS NAUTEC. So now I know it can be done, why don't you tell me how, hmm? :D I'd greatly appreciate it ...

*actually, now that I look a little closer, that's a reg. mirror. WTF, is it to the sunroof? If so, don't have one. :D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:26 AM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to nautec Send a message via MSN to nautec

no sunroof, i utilized a trick which is kinda semi ghetto but I'll take pictures someday

Take a look at your radar detector and look at the voltage and current requirements and then measure the homelink voltage and current and see if it matches close or not. I wired mine to the cigarette outlet becuase mine needed 12V and some current number so I just did it that way. Besides I don't use the cigarette outlet that much eaither.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

You wired it to the cigarette outlet? And the wire goes through your upper lining? :huh wow dude, how'd you wrap it around, like, through the a pillar, down through the floor guard under the seat, to the center console, and wired it to the outlet? Damn that, good job though, so what if it's ghetto, if it works, it's gold. :D

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:58 AM

blackmagic, actually I did mine completely different. I do have the homelink mirror, but I did not want to risk overloading the fuse to it, so I ran the wire inside my headliner, down the windshield pillar, then connected it to the back end of the fuse that runs to the mirror. This way my radar detector is connected to the pre fuse block....meaning its not adding current to the homelink fuse, it is only relying on the inline radar detector fuse. Its very easy to pull the headliner down enough to slip the flat detector cable into it, then you have to do the same for the pillar support plastic piece.

From there you run it down the kick panel, to the back of the fuse block. This way it turns off when the car turns off, but does not risk blowing the homelink fuse..which by the way also probably powers half of the other accessories in the car.

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Yikes, that would suck. Allright, well, I have no idea about electronics thus far or wiring rather, so ...looking for more understanding, I'll look around a bit. What do you mean the back end of the fuse that runs to the mirror? Like, on the inside of the car where the fusebox is, right? If so, how'd you get behind it? Haven't really looked that hard yet, as this was just a spurring idea. Thanks for that info man...
also, what kind of wire did you buy to extend it that far?

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:27 AM

I have a Valentine 1 radar detector, it comes with a install wire that is basically a phone cord with only 2 wires in it. If your radar detector uses the phone jack looking power cable, you can buy any length phone cord you want, cut the end off and use that for your power wire. Otherwise, you will need some power wires from Radio Shack or something like that.

The pre-fuse section is the positive side of the fuse block that is supplying the power. The aft fuse section is when the power that is being supplied to the block passes through its respective fuse and proceeds to the accessory.

The way to find a fuse block that turns on only when the key is turned, is to get a continuity tester ($5 any auto parts store), ground it, then touch one of the blocks. If it lights up only when the car is on, then you know you have found an accessory block (only powered when the car is on).

To ensure you are using the pre fused section, unplug the fuse from the block that is an ACC block then touch the connector on one side of the fuse gap. If the tester does not light up when the key is turned you know you have the aft fuse section. Touch the otherside of the block and it should light up. This is where you want to mount your wires.

Below is a diagram I threw together that will make it much easier to understand:

Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that makes it much easier to understand. Allright, I'll go buy a continuity tester. What do i ground it to though?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:02 AM

Pretty much any exposed piece of metal will do. The entire frame of the car is one big ground, the problem is finding a clean piece of metal that is not insulated.

The end of the continuity tester usually has an alligator clip, clip it to a metal part of the steering column or exposed bolt.

Get the tester with a sharp pointed tip, its very useful when it comes to probing through the insulation of a wire without damaging the wire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page