Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror... - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to blackmagik_13 Send a message via MSN to blackmagik_13 Send a message via Yahoo to blackmagik_13
Reading Topic: Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...

Allright, I bought it, cost like $7 at auto zone. Only problem is, whenever I do look at my fusebox on the inside, I have no idea how you got to the other side of it? :huh Did you do it from under the hood or what? B/c there is VERY little space to do anything there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:19 PM

This was about a year ago, I'm going to have to look when I get home. I'm not sure if I actually took the fuse box off, or just tapped into the wire that leads into the mirror fuse block. You do not have to actually mount the connection to the fuse box, all you have to do is locate the wire that leads to the mirror connection. If you do decide to do an inline splice be VERY CAREFUL that you do not cut the wire leading to the fuse box.

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to blackmagik_13 Send a message via MSN to blackmagik_13 Send a message via Yahoo to blackmagik_13

Yeah, sorta figured I go to wal mart and buy a set of wire splice things, to not mess up too badly. Did you do an inline splice or what? And afterwards, sodder or electric taped it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:00 PM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Val 1 rules. I just plugged mine into the acessory adapter in the center conslole which turns on and off with the key as does the other lighter outlet. The Val 1 is the only detector you will see using the phone cord which is nice because if you do want to hard wire it you can get some of that super thin phone cord and run the wires just about anywhere.

Old Cars:
06 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring, Platnum
03 Mazda 6s MTX, Lapis Blue

New Car:
08 Acura RDX, Tech Package, Nighthawk Black

Wife's Car:
07 Mazda CX-7 Touring, Copper Red
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Replying to Topic 'Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...'

Yeah, but then you have the wiring running through wherever.

Is this the one you all are talking about. I've heard about it here and there, is it really good or something? How much?

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Black, it honestly is the best radar detector I have owned. The range on it is incredible and it tells you where the signals are coming from and how many there are. This is important becasue you want to know where they are (behind, in front, side?). How many is important because it helps you to ween out false alarms. For instance, if you are driving by a mall and it is showing 6 signals or any even number, you basically know it is being set off by automatic doors. Honestly I have picked up signals miles in advance. The range on the Lazer is much more than I have ever experienced as well. In independent tests the Valentine 1 not only beat the competition time and again, but won by a landslide margin. No dedector is fool proof with instant on radar, but if they zap someone a couple miles ahead, this thing will pick it up where as other detectors will not. It cost me $400 but has been worth every penny. Believe the hype, it is that much better than anything esle on the market. You have to order it from www.valentine1.com . Also, if you own one and the technology changes, you get discounts on upgrading your existing unit to the new technology. Totally worth it.

Old Cars:
06 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring, Platnum
03 Mazda 6s MTX, Lapis Blue

New Car:
08 Acura RDX, Tech Package, Nighthawk Black

Wife's Car:
07 Mazda CX-7 Touring, Copper Red
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...

Damn, sounds like it's worth it. Hell, the detector I have, lol, funny story actually. I was stopped at sonic, and there was a cop with his radar on wide open, so my detector was going crazy. I decided to test how well it took in the signal, so I put my hand over the part that detects the radar....again, put MY HAND over it, and it stopped picking it up. It's only for in front of me, but the good thing about it is that it's wireless, takes batteries, so till I get a new one (prob. Val 1) , I'll stick w/ my POS and learn how to hardwire it so whenever I get my Val 1, it'll be all go. :D Thanks dude, sounds great.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to nautec Send a message via MSN to nautec

Heres the skimmy, there are only two radar detectors worth the money, Valentine1 and Passport 8500. Differences: Passport is 100 bucks cheaper. Additionally Valentine1 has the arrows. Would I love to have the arrows sure but i'm the kind of guy who slows down no matter what if I get hit with K or Ka band so the Passport 8500 is good enough for me. Depending on which test you look at its a split between passport and valentine. My friend has one and we drove side by side with walkie talkies and they both perform exactly the same except that he knew if it was from the front or rear. So the 100 bucks is for the arrows.

Both the valentine and passport uses phone cords, that is how i hard wired mine.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zm_Zm_Saint
Replying to Topic 'Hardwiring radar detector to rearview mirror...'

I did mine about 2 weeks ago.

There are three wires coming out of the back of the connector that clips directly into your mirror. All I did was cut a slit in the plastic and pulled it away from each other to expose the wire. Looking at the clip when it's plugged in, the middle wire and the bottom one are the ones you need to do this to. The bottom one is the positive and the middle is the negative (I'm pretty sure). Then all you do is just tie the wires from the radar detector around their corresponding wire from the homelink and tape it back up. The detector wont turn on when just the radio is on.

If you need pics just ask.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Allright ZmZM, pics would be awesome. What do you mean the detector wont turn on when just the radio is on? What else has to be on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page