LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
changing low-beams......

i took out the airbox and removed the plastic curved "door" to the low beams, but i am confused as to how to remove the whole fixture inside. theres one thin cable going into a metal clip, which will be plugged into the back of the new bulb. but i dont know how to get the whole piece out to change the bulb. anyone with pics or instructions would be agreat help, i used the sticky to change the parking lights already, just need some help with the lows.

thx
conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Retired Moderator

Reading Topic: changing low-beams......

The bulbs are actually locked in with a sort of 'clip'. You press it down and lift it over the bulb.

I'm really not even sure if you can change the bulbs easily without removing the headlights. What you might find much easier to do is removing the headlight assembly, but you need to first remove the bumper and a half dozen bolts around each housing so you can slide it out.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

wow, thatd be a lot more work than im willnig to do if i dont have to.

can anyone confirm that to change the low bulbs, i NEED to take the headlights out and the bumper off?

conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Indy MPS6

You do not need to take off the bumper and headlight assembly to change the bulbs, unless you have King Kong sized hands. It can be done. I've done it multiple times. Sigma is right as far as the metal clip. You push in and lift up. The clip swings away from the bulb base, allowing you to pull the bulb out. Then you simply pull the wire from the connector. The connector is the flat blade type so it simply slides out with pressure. Check out my cardomain.com website (I think pg. 6) to see a disassembled headlight housing. That should give you an idea of what is back there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
can anyone confirm that to change the low bulbs, i NEED to take the headlights out and the bumper off?
Never said you needed to, just suggested it might be easier if you were having trouble the conventional way.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 06:37 PM

well, i just replaced the h1 low beams and h3 fogs with piaas right now, and it took about 30 minutes at a slow, careful pace.

you don't have to remove the bumper and headlight assemblies, but i can see how that might make things easier. i just don't have the time for such an undertaking.

and yes, the passenger side is definitely the more difficult of the two. i ended up unbolting and moving the coolant reservoir to the side; that helped a bit. my hands are a little on the large side, so it might not be as much of a deal for you. just have patience, and take a good look at how things come apart before you start yanking. :)

here's a question - are the high beams h1's, too? i might replace them as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Replying to Topic 'changing low-beams......'

Yes, high beams are H1's also.

Thanks for all this info guys, it will come in handy while a try to install my HIDS. :)
https://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=8834

Quote:
Originally posted by soulbelly

* * * * * * well, i just replaced the h1 low beams and h3 fogs with piaas right now, and it took about 30 minutes at a slow, careful pace. *

you don't have to remove the bumper and headlight assemblies, but i can see how that might make things easier. *i just don't have the time for such an undertaking.

and yes, the passenger side is definitely the more difficult of the two. *i ended up unbolting and moving the coolant reservoir to the side; *that helped a bit. *my hands are a little on the large side, so it might not be as much of a deal for you. *just have patience, and take a good look at how things come apart before you start yanking. *:)

here's a question - are the high beams h1's, too? *i might replace them as well.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Learners License

I have two pairs of hyper-white H1's sitting in my cupboard right now. I changed the fogs, very easy. But with my huge hands I don't see any possible way to remove the low beams without making it a serious undertaking. And considering the lifespan of hyper-white bulbs, I'm very cautious about doing the bumper removal only to have to do it again in two months if one of the bulbs fail. I'm 6'5", so I do have very large hands. I'll probably end up pulling the bumper when I get my CAI next week and mod the side markers into turn signals. That way I can kill three birds with one stone, so to speak.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to JettaJet

6'5"? What's it like up there?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Learners License

Replying to Topic 'changing low-beams......'

I just changed both my low lights in 10 minutes. The only thing I had to unbolt was my coolant reservoir which is on the passenger side. I didn't even move the airbox to get to the one on the driver side. The hardest part about swapping the H1 bulbs are lining them up to go back into the headlight housing when you can't see the hole it goes into. Bumper removal is not necessary, at least for my headlights. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page