Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S

Thursday the 26th of February 2004 I will take my Mazda 6 S in again to Almaden Mazda(San Jose, Calif) to check out the cooling fan. This problem started back in November 2003 after a trip to Los Angeles. The fan would run on and off, and get pretty loud while driving in stop and go traffic, and 50-60 degree outside temperatures. In fact often, the fan starts up just a few seconds after starting the car up on a cold morning! You can hear the fan with the windows closed too! I'll be in stop and go traffic and then stop at a traffic light, and my 6 is making this loud fan noise while waiting for 1-2 minutes. Every time we drive on the freeway(were talking 40-60 degrees outside) as we slow down coming off the off-ramp you can start to hear the fan running in high gear. This is not normal! I've explained this to the service adviser, but they tell me if they can't duplicate the problem I'm having that they can't replace any modules, fans, or relays. Now why would I be wasting my time town there trying to get this taken care of? I have nothing to benefit from the inconvenience of taking my car to the dealer for this work!

I'm also getting 2 recalls taken care of on Thursday. One is Recall 1403L - Fuel Odor Recall, and the other is SSP 57 - for rust-like staining problem on door sills. They apparently they remove staining and apply some sealer to the door frames in question.

Does anyone know of a Mazda Dealer customer service location in the San Jose Area that will take care of this problem without questioning the customers honesty?

Can someone give me a Technical Service Bulletin number on this Fan problem? There has to be a TSB on this. I've read other threads by 6 owners with this erratic fan problem. My dealer's service department won't look up a TSB if I come by and aske them. They tell me to just bring the car in for an appointment. I would like to know that there is a TSB before-hand, rather than have them tell me after the appointment that they couldn't duplicate the fan problem, as they have done in the past. Is there some company policy against looking up a TSB even if you don't have a service appointment?

Regards, Eightball

Regards, Eightball

"If You Can't Say It Face To Face, It Isn't Worth Saying, While Anonymously Hiding Behind A Computer!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Indy MPS6
Reading Topic: Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S

Call Mazda's Customer Service Department if you can't find another dealer in your area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I do know of other dealers in my area. I will be checking into them if my current service department doesn't come around on this upcoming appointment.

I noticed that Alldata only shows 2 TSB's for the 2003 6S. This can't be true. This has been an entire car year for the 2003 6S, and Alldata's TSB count couldn't be just 2 for this car.

Regards, Eightball

"If You Can't Say It Face To Face, It Isn't Worth Saying, While Anonymously Hiding Behind A Computer!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 AM

Do you have the ACC on?

Old Cars:
06 Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring, Platnum
03 Mazda 6s MTX, Lapis Blue

New Car:
08 Acura RDX, Tech Package, Nighthawk Black

Wife's Car:
07 Mazda CX-7 Touring, Copper Red
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 11:48 AM

Replying to Topic 'Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S'

Whats so funny about this is I called my service department and scheduled service for the fan, he told me on the phone that he had had a lot of calls on the fan and that people were bringing them in to get fixed, so I said cool b/c I knew about the TSB. I go in today and while I was waiting for him to put everything in the computer, I asked him are you getting a lot of calls about the fan, "No"...guess he forgot that I had just called him a day before. They feed you a line of BS every time you go there...

Also does anyone think it's weird that they are going to have my car for 2 days to fix the sash and fuel odor recalls and the fan?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:28 PM

Heh, I have the same problem. Everyone who gets out my car for the first time tells me that I forgot to turn my car off. Of course when I brought it to the Service Department, they can't replicate the problem and then when I got angry and explained to them that they are full of shit because it has done it for me nonstop for the past month, they told me the fan running that much is normal. Don't expect much sympathy or cooperation from service managers (most of them, not all.)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdskns28fan

Also does anyone think it's weird that they are going to have my car for 2 days to fix the sash and fuel odor recalls and the fan?
No, if you do have a problem with your fuel tank, they most likely have to take out and replace your fuel tank. That's probably not an easy and/or quick job. Also, they may or may not have a spare fuel tank in stock. Your dealership is not a parts warehouse.

As to the sash issue, the service department most likely only has one guy who does this and the one guy is not probably not sitting there twiddling his thumbs.

I think two days is pretty good, actually.

You're getting a loaner car, right? Less miles on your 6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 01:48 PM

Yeah but when they give you a Neon.....they should at least give a more comparable car to what you have. I was so pissed off about that part too...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 04:32 PM

Warranty only covers up to $25 a day, I think. You can always pay more to upgrade, but why?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 03:51 AM

i have the exact same problem on my car and it's a 2004 6s
they keep telling me it's normal cuz the fan is trying to cool the car down. i think it's a bunch of BS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page