Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading Topic: Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S

Well, I just dropped the car off at the dealer about 30 minutes ago. I got a different service adviser this time. He seems concerned about the fan problem and hopefully something will get taken care of. I am having the fuel tank recall, and door sash rust /stain check recall done, as well as an oil change. They have a $16.99 special on an oil change.

Is it true that the 6S is difficult to do your own oil change? I always have done my own, but Mazda keeps emailing me these great oil change offers around the time I need to do it.

I'm having them check my leather driver's seat cushion as well. We've noticed that some wiring or wire seems to be pushing up through the bottom seat cushion. It shows an impression on the cushion surface. The advisor said that this needs to be attended to.

I got a 2004 4dr GMC Yukon for a rental from Enterprise through my Mazda warranty. I don't know if this is an upgrade, but Enterprise was out of compacts.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Regards, Eightball

"If You Can't Say It Face To Face, It Isn't Worth Saying, While Anonymously Hiding Behind A Computer!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Replying to Topic 'Erratic Cooling Fan - 2003 Mazda 6 S'

I picked up my 6 last night and the service guy told me that the reason the fan was coming on was because I had the A/C button on....he showed me that when the button is not on the fan doesn't come on but when he turned it on it did....interesting....but anyway I took his word for it knowing he was full of BS....I turned everything off including the radio (not that it has anything to do with it but they might say did you have your radio on....you never know) and low and behold the first light I come to the damn fan kicks in....I will be calling them today and telling them to order the part that needs to be fixed on the car and call me so I can drop my car off to fix the problem....I know there is a TSB on this, they are just trying to get out of fixing it....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Track Racer

Yeah, i have this same problem too....i've been meaning to take the car into the dealer, but i just haven't had any time. I'm busy all next week, so i'm planning to take my car in later in March. Yeah, that service manager is full of BS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

NEWS FLASH!!!

I just got a call from the Service Advisor. They noticed the fan problem, and have fixed it! I was right about the fan running loud and fast. The Advisor told me that their technician called Mazda Corps Tech line and apparently they got info on the fan. Thankfully my 6S duplicated the problem for them. Apparently their is a module in the computer or something like that that was calling for the fan to only go on High speed when the fan was called to go on. I guess there must be atleast two or three speeds to the fan, and my fan was only going to high speed when it was called on to operate. Thats why I could audibly hear the fan so much. They replaced the module and the fan quit acting up! I think this device also controls when the fan comes on to, because it was coming shortly(few seconds)after starting the car up on a cool morning.

Concerning the driver's side leather seat that is showing a raised impression of the heating wires or some cord shaped impression through the seating surface, the advisor has ordered a new cushion, and it may come in tomorrow. If it doesn't they will have me come back and replace the cushion while I wait for the car.

The two recalls, for the fuel pump seal, and the door sash rust check, went ok. Even though my 6S was bought in May 2003, and is an early 6S, there was no problem with defects. Mazda does ask you to come in with 1/2 tank or less fuel in your car so they can do this fuel pump seal check.

Well, I may get the car tomorrow.

I ended up getting an upgrade on the Mazda Warranty paid rental car. Instead of getting a Ford Focus type car, they gave me a 2004, GMC Canyon, 4dr, 4WD, Pickup with 1100 miles on the odometer! Enterprise didn't have any compacts available, so they had to upgrade me at no cost.

I'll keep you folks posted on the cooling fan situation. I hope this has answered the problem.

Boy, it's going to be wonderful to drive in stop and go traffic and have a quiet engine compartment.

Regards, Eightball

"If You Can't Say It Face To Face, It Isn't Worth Saying, While Anonymously Hiding Behind A Computer!"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Track Racer

I'm going today to get this problem fixed, hopefully they have the part in stock and i can have my car back soon.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

So far the fan has been operating quietly. I hear it come on while inside the car, but it is ever-so quiet. I guess the fan probably comes on quite often under normal driving, but the real problem was that it was coming on, and running at extremely high speed. I think they pulled a relay module out of another 6 to see if it made a difference when they were working on it. My service department talked to Mazda and gave them the symptoms, ie loud erradic fan, coming on when engine isn't even warmed up etc., and apparently the factory told them to replace the relay/module.

Regards, Eightball

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

My service department talked with Mazda and gave them my explanation of what was going on with the fan. Apparently Mazda was quite aware of the problem and told them to replace the fan relay/module. It worked! I've got my quiet 6 back again.

Regards, Eightball

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Track Racer

Quote:
Is it true that the 6S is difficult to do your own oil change?
Not all that difficult. For the V6 engine, the oil filter is tucked-up in the engine-bay, so there's not much room for leverage. I actually switched to using the K&N oil filters (Part number HP2010) - these have a 1" nut on the end so you can use a socket for removal, instead of a filter-wrench. Also, the drain-plug has a rubber-washer, so you don't have to replace that with disposable crush-washers (found on other cars, i've heard)

Other than that, I think the V-6 is much easer compared to the 4-cylinder engine with cartridges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page