LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Auto TCS OFF'

Here is a quick drawing of the circuit I built. As it's shown, it waits about 6.5 seconds then sends about a 0.5 second pulse to the transistor which pulls the "TCS OFF" line low. If you want to shorten the delay, make the 47uf capacitor or the 120k resistor smaller. 6.5 seconds is long enough for all the dash lights to go out, but you may be more impatient than I am. :) If you look under the dash on the drivers side where the fuse box is, there is a red wire with a white strip coming out of that fuse box. This wire goes hot when the switch is in the "ignition" position. I used one of those splice connector thingys to connect the positive supply of the circuit here. There are 6 connections on the TCS OFF button itself, but only 4 are used and the other 2 have been removed. The 2 farthest from the removed connectors are for the lamp inside the button, and the other 2 are for the button itself. I don't remember what the colors are, but the middle 2 connections are for the button. The wire closest to the removed connectors is ground, connect the circuit ground here. The 2nd wire from the removed connectors is the signal wire, connect the collector of the NPN transistor here. I just tinned the end of the wires coming from the circuit to make them stiff and pushed them into the plug that connects to the button and they seem to be staying in place fine. The button can be removed by reaching up from under the dash and squeezing the clips on top and bottom and the button will pop out. Once you have the button out you'll see what I mean about the connectors, and you might want to double check what I've said, I may be remembering incorrectly, or your button may be different for some reason. I hope this makes sense :)

I don't know the number of the box I used but it's the one that's really small, about the size of your keyless entry remote. All the parts I used were from the Shack. I used a blank PC board and cut it to fit inside the box. You'll have to drill a hole in the middle for the screw that holds the box together. Oh yea, get the smallest capacitors you can find or else you'll never fit them into the box. :) I got one of the 20 piece bargan electrolytic packs so I'd have a few to play with, but you can just get the ones you need. The 0.01uf is a small ceramic disc. Use careful placement on the PC board so you can get all the parts in there and get them connected. You can get one of the bigger boxes if you don't feel like being very intricate. :) The LED and it's 1k current limiting resistor are optional. I put them in so that the LED will light while the 555 is in timing mode. At the end of the time, the LED should go out and your TCS should be off. I figured this would be a handy troubleshooting aid if I had problems with it later. You can also put a switch in the positive supply line so you can turn the whole thing off and leave your TCS on. I want to do this sometime, but I haven't figured where I can put the switch so its not in the way but still easy to get to.

It was a pretty fun project to work on, and not too expensive. Shouldn't cost you more than $20, even at the Shack's inflated prices. :) Plus it's cool to have the TCS off without having to spend extra clock, er brain cycles to actually push the button. :) Sorry for the long winded post, good luck :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
[i]I`m just asking, so please dont have a go at me , but why do you want to turn off the TCS everytime ?
added hp, and a little more fun to drive.
And you avoid that annoying drop in power if you stomp it to hard on takeoff :P
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:13 AM

Awesome...

Looks really similar to the diagram I've got. I just never got around to actually building itl, halfway out of complacency and halfway not being totally sure what I was doing. Most of my electronics experience is just stuff I've learned on my own...

Unforunately the one thing holding me back was the board; I may have to give it a roll this weekend, now that I know what will work...

Thanks Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kevin6s
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Auto TCS OFF'

My car must have read this thread because for the past 2 days, the TCS Off light has come on when I first turned on the car. I've had to shut it off and turn it on again for it to go off. Hopefully its due to the cold weather...
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jrsy91gmc * * * * * * * *Awesome... *Looks really similar to the diagram I've got. *I just never got around to actually building itl, halfway out of complacency and halfway not being totally sure what I was doing. *Most of my electronics experience is just stuff I've learned on my own... *Unforunately the one thing holding me back was the board; I may have to give it a roll this weekend, now that I know what will work... *Thanks Doc
3 years ago I would've been in your shoes. I was a self-taught electronics amateur too, till I decided to go back to school for it. Now I actually understand how that circuit works, scarey. :) Assembling the actual circuit on the board isn't hard, you just have to pay attention to the IC pin numbers and capacitor polarities and the transistor. And be careful not to overheat the IC or transistor when you're soldering them in. Use a clip-on heat sink if you have one. Good luck and let us know if you get it working :)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin6s * * * * * * * *My car must have read this thread because for the past 2 days, the TCS Off light has come on when I first turned on the car. I've had to shut it off and turn it on again for it to go off. Hopefully its due to the cold weather...
Mine has been doing some wierd things since it's turned off cold too. Just tonite when I unlocked my doors, only the drivers side turn signal light flashed, the passenger light didn't. So naturally I turned on the turn signals to check it out and then they all worked. And when I locked the doors when i got home, they all flashed. Wierd.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Learners License

Maybe this is stupid, but have any of you guys noticed that if you just wedge the TCS OFF button in with a penny, TCS will stay off every time you start the car?? :huh

Can any of you electronic savy folks say if there are any long term bad effects from wedging the button down all the time?

-A
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by the-big-a

Maybe this is stupid, but have any of you guys noticed that if you just wedge the TCS OFF button in with a penny, TCS will stay off every time you start the car?? :huh

Can any of you electronic savy folks say if there are any long term bad effects from wedging the button down all the time? *-A
I'm not sure that keeping the button down would turn the TCS off every time, but you could try. I don't know that it would hurt anything to keep it in. When you push the button in, it pulls a connection on the ECU to ground, which causes current to flow out of that connection. Leaving the button on would cause current to flow constantly through the transistors and whatnot inside the ECU, which could cause them to fail over time. If they did, you wouldn't be able to turn the TCS off at all :0
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Who

Quote:

Can any of you electronic savy folks say if there are any long term bad effects from wedging the button down all the time? *-A
I'm not sure that keeping the button down would turn the TCS off every time, but you could try. I don't know that it would hurt anything to keep it in. When you push the button in, it pulls a connection on the ECU to ground, which causes current to flow out of that connection. Leaving the button on would cause current to flow constantly through the transistors and whatnot inside the ECU, which could cause them to fail over time. If they did, you wouldn't be able to turn the TCS off at all :0
Well, since i wedged the button down, TCS has stayed off for at least 10 trips. I am kind of worried that i will break the circuit somehow, so I'll probably unwedge it tonight.
wish the solution was that simple, cuz i'm way to lazy to actually build anything :)
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, since i wedged the button down, TCS has stayed off for at least 10 trips. *I am kind of worried that i will break the circuit somehow, so I'll probably unwedge it tonight. wish the solution was that simple, cuz i'm way to lazy to actually build anything :)
That's interesting that keeping the button pushed in turns TCS off everytime you start the car...... I'm still not sure I'd keep it pushed in though. SQMazda 6 commented that he did the same thing using just a relay. That idea never occured to me, and is much simpler to do so you could ask him for the details of how he wired the relay. I've always made things more complicated than they needed to be :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page