Map Lights "Flash" When Key is Taken Out - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Map Lights "Flash" When Key is Taken Out

Couldn't find anything in the search so here I am...

Since I did the LED map light mod, whenever I turn the car off and pull the key out of the ignition, the LED's flash real quick then go out until I unlock the doors...

WTF??

Anyone else have this happen...It isn't a big deal, just annoying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 07:04 PM

Reading Topic: Map Lights

I think (my opinion again) that because the lights dim out when you lock the doors or unlock the doors that the leds blink because of this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Replying to Topic 'Map Lights

So how come they blink when I take the key out, even before I unlock the doors?? I'm not too sure what you mean...Also, I don't recall this happening with the stock bulbs. I know the LED's draw less power, generally, but what is causing the flash?

Thanks for the help, BTW...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:17 PM

Okay, when you take the key out the lights come on, but they slowly come on. So they like dim on, if that makes sense. I think the blink because they are looking for adequate power or are storing enough power for a charge and then use that power then the process repeats it. I really hope i'm making sense. Maybe someone with electrical experience can help us out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Not too sure what you're getting at but the lights literally flash on and off for a split second when the key is removed...This is when the doors are locked. When the door are unlocked, the lights proceed to slowly light up as they should. I just don't get why when the doors are LOCKED, they flash on and then off. It seems as if the thing "thinks" the door are unlocked (ie, the lights are supposed to come on) but then "realize" that they are locked, so they shut back off....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

General (ideal)LEDs require +1.7 VDC to turn ON.(Its greater for Hi-Intensity LEDs). Once you have that 1.7V the LED will stay on at it's 1 and only brightness level...They are either ON or OFF. General light bulbs will come on at any voltage, but the greater the voltage, the brighter the bulb becomes. Even though its just a map light, there MAY be a control circuit that pulses the voltage (>1.7V and <1.7V, not necessarily to 0V) to the map lights(like a clock cycle) so fast that you won't notice it with a regular light bulb(25Hz...30Hz). This control probably engages when the engine is off, just incase you leave your map light on.(I left mine on all night and the car started up fine the next day.) If it was => 30Hz, you wouldn't notice it with an LED either since it would be blinking too fast for our eyes to notice(It would appear ON).

So, you have the pulsing with a regular bulb and you don't notice it being bright=>slightly brighter=>bright=>...,then off after the dimming caused by the discharging capacitor.

With your LED, you have the same pulsing, causing ON=>OFF=>ON....(blinking), and since you don't get dimming with an (ideal)LED, you can disregard the cap discharge....the LED is then OFF.

This is provided there is a "safety" control circuit that cycles the voltage, so this could be pretty much wrong. I have an EE degree, so based off the problem you described and my knowledge of how these fundamental components function, this is how I can come to this conclusion.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Ummmm....I got lost pretty quick but think I got the general idea...One quick note if there is and confusion: The light doesn't come one/go off/come on...It comes on/goes out and that is the end of it. It just flashes once and that is it...And they do dim the exact same as the regular light (I had an LED in one and a regular bulb in the other at the same time). The only difference is that the LED lights up quicker, but it still isn't an "instant on"...

I guess it is cause of the LED drawing different power than the standard bulb. I had just never heard of this happening to anyone elses car with the LED mod...

I'll just have to unlock the doors before I turn off the car...

Don't really know why Mazda didn't make the doors unlock when the car is shut off anyway...Oh well...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 09:29 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I know what you're talking about, I just don't get it all the time. Actually I don't usually get it. I found that depending on how I actually take the key out, the LEDs behavior changes. Most of the time they dim out pretty nicely. Sometimes they just come on and then blink off and I can't see sh*t. :)

I don't know why, but the LEDs are probably just more sensitive to voltage changes when the ignition is being totally disengaged.

2003 Performance White 6i Sedan, MTX Used to have a turbo, now pursuing the DD dream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page