LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
HID KIT

Hey guys, I am all excited. HID kit from Xenondepot supposed to be in this week. I have spoken to a technicien over there and he told me that i would have to disable my Daytim Running Light system cause the less voltage would result in damaging the ballasts. I got my ideas on how to bypass this system, but i still want to have my light system securty feature enable. Anyways, just wondering if anybody can help me with anything, ideas, suggestions, wiring diagrams....

One Punch Dude

Nice snow just fallen, the 6 is amazing with a good set of tires!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:59 AM

Reading Topic: HID KIT

Which HID did you get? if you got the ones with the relay and the ballast takes electricity straight from the battery then you won't have to worry about DRLs. If the ballast takes power from the exisiting headlight harness then just ground your e-brake.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Replying to Topic 'HID KIT'

That is what I had in mind cause my HID takes power straight from the battery, but the guy told me to disable the DTL just in case. Anyways, I'll take a test light and a multimeter and will defenetly figure something out, those clases in university doing electricity instaed of dynamics must pay sometime!

Thank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Learners License

I just had my HID kit instlled on Dec 3, 2003 while I left my 6 in my friend's garage for a day. Originally, I asked my friend to check if he can redirect the DRL to the built-in fog light. So, there is still DRL on my 6 after HID is installed. However, after hours and hours tracing and testing the wiring system, he found that it is a bit challange to do so. It is because the DRL system in our Canadian version 6 is sending a pulse singal on the negative connection of the low bean wiring to quickly switch on and off the low beam bulb. The peak voltage of the pulse singal is +12.xx volt, so if you plug the relay to it, this singal still strong enough to activate the relay and turn on the HID. But, remeber it is the pulse singal, it will quickly turn on/off your HID kit as well and that will difinitely shortten the life of the kit or just simply damage it. When you turn the low bean switch on, the pulse singal is gone and the wire is become 0 volt to let the low bean bulb output in full power.

Therefore, he just simply cut the DRL and installed the HID. As a result, I am driving my 6 with HID but no DRL. :D

p.s. If you need the instruction about how to disable/cut the DRL without the eBrake indicator be always on, you can ask Hieppo how to do. ;)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok then, I figure that if I use another ground with my harnest, my kit should be protected. And there are plenty of grounds that can be used on a car, probably the easiest thing to find :P. I wrote an e-mail to Hieppo, but I don't know if he often takes a look at his inbox, so if anyone knows him or as a personnal e-mail adress, could help a bit, just to be sure I ain't damaging a couple of hundred dollars.:thumbdn

By the way, you would have to exchange to negative wire of the fog-lights with the low lights to managed to reroute the DTL. But then again, I don'T know what would happen with the switch that controls the fog lights..... Is it control by the negative wire and always powered... samething with the high beam.... :jackoff I guess I'll do a little reserach with my multimeter and test light just to have fun and lose some time during the christmas break. (The real reason is that when I work on my car, I don't see my girlfriend everyday, a break always helps, especially when it isn't for studying!):love
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Track Racer

OK guys, here I come to save the day. :)

Anyway, yes I have the wiring schematic and found what need to be done to disable DRL.

It is simple with respect to what you need to do but a pain in the ass to get to the location to work with.

First thing depending on how meticulous you are about keeping everything stock, you will need to take your time. You will need a very small wedge tool to remove the prong from the plastic housing. If you don't care about safely removing it from the housing, just snip it off.

The wire that you will be looking for is found under the dash plugged into a blue colour plastic box (Hopefully Mazda will use the same colour box throughout, if not then you will have to test). This box is your entire lightning processor. There is two plug going into this box. The wire you are looking for is plain brown. It is located on the plug with the smaller gauge wires. Don't touch the plug with the larger gauge wires.

The brown colour wire in question is the ground wire from the e-brake signalling to the light controller if the e-brake is enabled or not. If it is enabled, then DRL will be disabled and inversely so when e-brake disabled.

You will need to ground the brown wire that goes into the blue box. The end where it is coming from the e-brake can be disconnected. What I did was created another prong that I have some spare part lying around. Plugged it into the same spot where it goes into the blue box and ground the other end on the black wire that is on the same plug.

With this mod, it does not affect the signal that goes to the dash indicating whether the e-brake light should be on or off. You will trick the light controller that the e-brake is on but the e-brake will work as normal.

Hope that helps. Hope this will be a sticky so I do not have to retype everytime. :)

Good luck

Hiep
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Hieppo, if grounding directly my low beams with another wire doesn't work, I'll go with your mod for sure. But I think that if that god damn pulse signal isn't going to the light, for example, not plug in at all, I shouldn't have any problem and HID all the time! :D
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Track Racer

I prefer not to use my HID on all the time for the reason that it cost $100 each to replace each lamp.

When starting the car, no light comes on. With one click on the light stalk, the parking and rear driving lights come on. My full light (HID) does not come on until 2 clicks. That is when the integrated OEM fogs will be able to turn on.

I have disabled my DRL but I still love the safety of DRL, that is why I have installed lower bumper fogs to act as DRL. It comes on when the key is switch to on. I have also left the switch relay for the bumper fogs so if I decide to turn them off I can do so.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys setting it up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to heronew Send a message via MSN to heronew

wow, so much work for you Canadian 6 to do exactly what the US 6 does. lol

[Even sponsors must obey signature rules]
Current onsale item:
[color=red][b]McCULLUCH HID kits in GB section
Clear-Guard overlay kits 25%off
Clear-Guard paint protection kit 10%off plus free shipping
Autometer Gauges in Ebay Store!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page