post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LED installation guide

ok... i finally installed all interior led + parking lights... i read posts on the forum beforehand, but some crucial information was not emphasized enough and some infoz were wrong..:( but stuffz on the forum definately helped me :D this is kind of a sum-up installation guide from this forum + my experience in installing the leds...

but anyway here it goes... how to change everything without taking out anything (air box, etc...) btw, mine was a 6i... but even with the radiator tank it should be possible to replace the parking light w/o removing anything..

*IMPORTANT* LED lights won't light up if you get the +/- wrong.. so if you stick your led in, you should ALWAYS test it before putting everything back together.. if it doesn't light up, take it out, flip it, and stick it in... should work..

the meat
----------
ok this is going to be a long step-by-step instruction so if you are lazy like me and hate reading through long text, here are the KEY things to keep in mind

-parking light: don't take the whole housing cover out, juss unclip top and push back a little or you'll regret and end up cussing outside in a freezing weather of 37 deg. F.

-interior door courtesy lights: don't twist.. pull and push.. don't twist... don't twist...

-LED installation in general: always test if the LED turns on BEFORE you put everything back on... cuz if it doesn't turn on, you have to flip it and stick it back it cuz it meant you had the +/- wrong.. and there's no way to tell +/- (at least on my LEDs) until you actually test them...

parking light LED replacement
--------------------------------
ok... first of all... that hibeam/fog light housing/cover/cap....
there is no such metal clip in the lower half ... was looking for some non-existant
part... no wonder... rather.. there is this black square that sticks out at the TOP CENTER of the cover... it's easily identifiable.. juss press down on it and pull back a little and it should fall back... *caution*.. juss push it back, do not attempt to take out the cover competely by lifting it up or through other means... the bottome of the cover has two plastic clip/hooks that are inserted in to a set of holes...

diagram
-----[clip]--------
|----------------|
|----------------|
---W---------W---

if you pull out the cover and take the bottomw two clips out of the holes,
it's gonna be a ***ch to put them back in... so yeah, juss push down the
black plastic clip at the top center, pull back a little so the cover is leaning back toward the engine at about a 60 degrees or so... that's plenty of room...

put your finger it, try to locate the parking light bulb (juss try pulling couple wires softly and see which one makes it juggle and follow the wire or something it's really easy to take it out... not much force..) take out the parking light bulb, stick the led in, put them back in, and since you did NOT take out the whole housing cover, you should just be able to puch it back in till you hear it click, and you are done! that should take... 3 minutes....

the driver side is not that bad at all..i opened the housing cover a little, kinda forced it back and pushed it against the airbox with a plier(whatever that can work as a ledge), than the housing kinda slides through the airbox metal clip.. so it won't break anything unless you are really pushing it.. juss push the housing cover a little to make a little room..

even with the room, u can only touch the wire.. so use your finger/plier, whatever it takes to take the parking light out.. u kinda have to pull it out a little and scoop it toward the driver side of the car... anyway, it's your part to figure that out, i did it and it wasn't that bad... and put everything back together and you are done! =)

the thing about parking light is that.. my led wire was kinda out of place so i had to line the wire up for the led to make it aligned with the input source of the car.. if u donn know what i mean by this paragraph, u can juss ignore it...

INTERIOR LIGHT
------------------
everything is real straight forward, u can juss refer to the manual or the stuffz on this forum.. just couple of words...

the door side courtesy light seems to be notorious on this forum... but really, all you have to do is, DO NOT TWIST... juss pull the bulb out..and the socket won't fall in... so for both door courtesy lights, don't twist out or in, juss pull the bulb in and push the bulb in ... done!

oh yeah... make sure you organize everything... or you'll end up dropping the bulb part(that holds the bulb) in between the seat and the middle glovebox/shifter.... and get really mad.... took me 10 min to get them out...

so how many people read from start to end? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 02:24 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Replying to Topic 'LED installation guide'

^^ ME! I did :). Although you probably DID keep me from depositing a hefty amount into my "swear-jar" ;). Thanks for the tips...

Now, some questions to clarify...

When you remove the parking light, do you just pull it out or is it a twist to unlock mechanism like the turn signals?

And this confuses me:

Quote:
Originally posted by uiucpeng

the driver side is not that bad at all..i opened the housing cover a little, kinda forced it back and pushed it against the airbox with a plier(whatever that can work as a ledge), than the housing kinda slides through the airbox metal clip.. so it won't break anything unless you are really pushing it.. juss push the housing cover a little to make a little room..[/b]
I guess I'm confused about having to force the cover back with the pliers... and then it sliding through the airbox metal clip...

One more thing: about the stupid interior door light. Can you please check to see what alignment the bulb sits in inside the driver's door? I ask because once it fell through, I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get the thing to lock back into the door. Maybe if you tell me if the actual housing for the bulb is vertical, or horizontal (or whatever) I can make a better attempt at figuring out how to lock the thing in the door today (I will even take pics) ;).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Learners License

Ok, if you can fit your hand in the housing cap over the high beam and parking lights, you have little anus hands. I had to remove the cap, and push back some wiring etc on the car's right hand side, and cramp my hand to death on the left hand side. Feel free to remove the caps, it's not that bad to put back on. Parking lights and high beams are not fun for anyone with normal hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Learners License

The parking light just pulls right out.... You just have to reach for the edge of the bulb casing as far forward as you can squeeze in there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 11:26 AM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Reading Topic: LED installation guide

LOL. "little anus hands". I agree. Those wires make it damn near impossible to get to the lights without removing the casing on the massenger side of the 6s.

Thanks, 6mebaby - but I posted in here before I did my lights and I made a page about it here: https://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=11453. Everyone can see in the pic there that the work space on the pass. side is "smurf sized".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page