Fog Lights stay on with brights - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fog Lights stay on with brights

Wondering if anyone has wired the fogs to stay on, along with the bright lights? Or maybe even know where I can find a wire diagram to see how to do it. I did it on my 2000 Ranger and it worked like a charm. Never got pulled over for it either. Quite a difference I must say. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 12:48 AM

Replying to Topic 'Fog Lights stay on with brights'

I did the same thing on a '96 Z28 I used to have. It was really cool having all those lights on at the same time. The funny thing is that I thought about doing that to my 6 like the day I bought it. :) On my Z28, it was simply a matter of grounding the fog lamp to the chassis instead of through the high beam circuit (which is what caused the fogs to go off when the highs came on). If I get jumpy and crawl under the hood and figure it out, I'll post it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Learners License

Reading Topic: Fog Lights stay on with brights

In my focus you had to put a jumper in with a relay that would create a closed loop, alowing you to use the fogs any time the car was ON and the parking lights were on(parking lights, dipped beam, main beam)

might be somthing like that

Still dont know how to do it in my Sentra yet

Clould also be in the switch itself

I bet the guys in europe can use their fogs w/main beams, their laws are different

If some one has a FSM they might be able to look up the wiring diagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Today was a beautiful 70 degree day, on the 4th of January, wierd huh. Anyway, so I got out and figured out how to rewire the fogs to stay on all the time. The rewiring part is easy, getting to the bottom of the fog relay in the fuse box is the hard part. Here is how I did it, sorry I don't have a digicam so no pix :(

You may want to disconnect the battery before doing this, I didn't but you never know. First remove the airbox or else you'll never get under the fuse box. Take the fuse box cover off, and around the inside edges you'll see some clips, I forget how many. After you release the clips, the top of the fuse box, with all the fuses and relays will come off. You'll have to pull out some wire guides and cut a wire tie or two to be able to flip the top over enough to get at the wires underneath. Be careful when stretching some of the wires and harnesses and whatnot so you don't pull anything loose :)

Using the diagram on the underside of the lid, locate the FOG RELAY, its in the upper left corner when facing the front. Then locate the fuses for the TAIL and ILLUM, these are in the upper right corner. Under the FOG RELAY there is a light green wire, with no stripes. Under the TAIL and ILLUM fuses there is a light green wire with a black stripe. All you have to do is cut the light green wire coming from the FOG RELAY. Then splice it from the FOG RELAY to the light green with black stripe wire from the FUSE. I put a piece of electrical tape over the end of the green wire that isn't connected to be sure it doesn't short anything out, especially since I'm not sure where it goes after it disappears into the wiring harness.

I couldn't get enough wire from the FOG RELAY to reach the FUSE so I had to use a butt connector to splice in a short jumper wire. Then I used one of those crimp splice thingys to splice into the FUSE wire. You know those thingys that wrap around the wire you want to splice into, then put the end of the other wire into it and crimp the metal thingy, so you don't have to cut the wire you want to splice into, you know, those thingys..... Then put it all back together.

After you've done this, the fog lights can be on anytime the park lights are on, whether or not the low or high beams are on. It's pretty cool having all 6 lights on at the same time, or nothing but the parks and fogs :) It's not easy, but it's worth it as long as you don't fry your car in the process :) I hear it's illegal to have more than 4 lights on in the front of a car at once in the US, so do this at your own risk. Oh yea, this works, but if you mess something up in the process, don't come crying to me. :) And please let me know if none of this makes any sense :)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 09:25 AM

Thank you Sir !!!!! I knew it couldn't be too tough, but my lack of electrical prowess and propensity for procrastination had prevented me from procuring the proper prognosis regarding the probability of being able to perform the prescribed procedure.... heh. :)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Highway Star * * * * * * * *Thank you Sir !!!!! I knew it couldn't be too tough, but my lack of electrical prowess and propensity for procrastination had prevented me from procuring the proper prognosis regarding the probability of being able to perform the prescribed procedure.... heh. *:)
Any more big 'P' words in there and I'd accuse you of being an english teacher. :)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Nice work Doc!

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Who

*You know those thingys that wrap around the wire you want to splice into, then put the end of the other wire into it and crimp the metal thingy, so you don't have to cut the wire you want to splice into, you know, those thingys..... *)
"Scotch 3m" splice connectors
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Thanks, I knew the past 2 years of college would come in handy for something. :) How about everybody posting who pulls this off. It would be interesting to see how many attempt it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 02:51 PM

Sounds good, just be patient. I predict that my propensity for procrastination will probably prevent me from pursuing the project with any kind of precipitancy or priority.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 04:48 AM
Mazda Guru

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Mazda Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda Gremlyn
Reading Topic: Fog Lights stay on with brights

wow, lots of people tired this out. I'm going to try it this weekend. I think I'll wire my lower fogs in at the same time, I'll have EIGHT lights all at the same time, LOL!

2004 Mazda6s MTX: Gone...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Replaced with a 2011 WRX Hatch!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 323 GTX: Need to finish re-rebuilding the engine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page