adjusting the front lights - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
adjusting the front lights

ok i think i figured out how to adjust the headlights, but i think i'm missing something. hopefully someone can help me out.

i found 2 "screws" on each side of the car, behind the headlight housings. so 4 screws in total. the two outer screws, closest to the fenders on each side seem to adjust the low beams up and down (tightening the screw makes it go up, loosening makes it go down). the other 2 screws, the inner ones, seem to adjust the high beams left and right.

now the part that i don't get. how the heck do you adjust the low beams left and right? the two inner screws only move the high beams left and right, not the lows. i'd like to turn the driver's side low beam a little more to the center line of the road, it points too far towards the passenger side. can anyone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Replying to Topic 'adjusting the front lights'

ok now im even more confused. i found 2 more adjustments on each housing, so 4 on each housing in total. the two closest to the fender seem to do the same thing? adjusting the low beam up and down. then there is one, hard to get to, towards the bottom of the housing, that takes a 13mm wrench, but I can't figure out what the heck that does. what's goin on here? where's the damn adjustment for left to right for the low beams! lol
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:33 PM

Wow...I didn't even know this was possible. I replace my lows and fogs with aftermarket halogens and I can barely see far.

Can you give more details on how to adjust the lows going vertically? Do you need to do anything to get access to these screws..cuz it would be a pain in the ass to take off the bumper again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 5o4m6

* * * * * * Wow...I didn't even know this was possible. *I replace my lows and fogs with aftermarket halogens and I can barely see far. *

Can you give more details on how to adjust the lows going vertically? *Do you need to do anything to get access to these screws..cuz it would be a pain in the ass to take off the bumper again[/b]
from what i can tell there are two adjustments on each housing to adjust lows up and down. doesn't make sense to me though why there would be two that do the same thing.. anyway, i used a bit (its six sided i believe) kinda like a torx type bit? i can't think of what they're called, but you'll see what i mean when you stick your head in there. just look on the back of each light housing, there are plastic adjusters on each, 4 on each to be exact. and i used that 6 sided bit to adjust each, except one low uses a 13mm socket/wrench, but impossible to get to.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:50 AM

Reading Topic: adjusting the front lights

tx I will give it a look tomorrow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:59 AM

Are these the two screws in the pic? (Picture by Tmuk in this thread )

Twisting it clockwise or counter-clockwise will lower/raise the beam?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

thanx for the pic! seems i didnt see that adjuster on the top left in your pic because it is buried in the fender on the car. anyway, that one seems to adjust left and right for the low beam. the one up top seems to adjust up and down on the low beam. and then if you see that white thing towards the bottom right of your pic, that also seems to adjust up and down for the low beam. i'll have to mess with it some more when it gets dark to figure it all out. i did move the driver's low beam to point more towards the other side of the road though, i just aimed it at a piece of cardboard and eyeballed it for now. i'll double check it tonight.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:14 PM

I tried to adjust my low beams today and the adjuster snapped and the headlight just went limp. Any ideas?

The world is my racetrack...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mazda6sam

* * * * * * I tried to adjust my low beams today and the adjuster snapped and the headlight just went limp. *Any ideas?[/b]
snapped?? which adjuster and how did it snap??

in adjusting the beams i've found it very difficult to get it exactly as i want it. if you have noticed the beams the low beams project do not have a straight edge on the top. if you aim your lights at a wall, and are about 30 feet away you will see what i mean. sititng in the car, the beam on each headlight is lower on the left, then takes a sudden "step up" and is higher towards the right. the "step up" is exactly in the center of the beam. so... when you're adjusting the lights you have to keep this in mind because while you may have the "low side" of the beam adjusted correctly, you will be blinding on-coming traffic from the center of the beam to the right side (including lanes next to you and the side of the road!) anyway, i think i've found a happy medium, better than it originally was anyway. i couldn't take how low they were before, couldn't see sheeeit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page