Installed my HID kit today - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to masteryang
Replying to Topic 'Installed my HID kit today'

Was the light just look very bright white? does it have any blueish color, like what you see on Audi or BMW?

Unichip
AEM Short Air Intake
Hawks HPS brake pad
Tokico HP Series Shocks
xtec 5000 HID light system
MagnaFlow Exhaust System
Progress Sway Bar (24mm)
Eibach Lowering Spring Pro Series
Enkei RPM-03 18x7 +48mm Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Removed pics go to hidforum.com
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:52 AM

Guys... the blue/purple you see in Audis are NOT from the actual HID capsule. Keep in mind that as you go up in Kelvin temperature, you are REDUCING light output.

4500K would give you the best output and performance. After about 5 hours of use, the light will turn more blue, but only SLIGHTLY.

I sell all the kits, and I would make more $ off people pushing the 5500 and 6000K kits, but I am a firm believer in selling quality and FUNCTIONALITY.

Adam, regarding the capsule shaking on bumps, make sure the retaining clip is secure, you might have loosened it during installation. It is bendable, so it might have been bent out a little. If that does not help, contact me and I will get you a spacer.

These kits retail on OUR site for $499.99 (MSRP $588) and are in such high demand that we have over 20+ backorders until next week. We are the largest online retailer of Catz HID and pass those savings onto you. These are NOT your typical Ebay, Hanabi, or "Philips Kits". It is a complete package w/ OEM supplied components.

Eric
Liteswap Website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eric Wong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Track Racer

Reading Topic: Installed my HID kit today

Atom:
How is the beam pattern looking? Has it changed at all to your eyes from the halogens? Did you have to re-aim the lenses after installation? Bascially I'm tryign to gauge the real-world performance in reference to the "focally correct" bulbs.

thanks,
-Alt
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 06:58 PM

Installation Guide is now uploaded:

http://www.liteswap.com/ma6ingu.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eric Wong
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Track Racer

Reading Topic: Installed my HID kit today

Liteswap: I noticed that it doesn't look like the Catz setup is wired through relay directly to the battery, but rather it is wired directly to the factory wiring harness for the lights. Can the factory Mazda headlight wiring support the significantly higher turn-on current of the HID ballast? Or are the ballasts designed to soft-start? I am aware that it is possible to degrade the headlight cluster switch terminals over time if a relayed setup is not used in halogen->HID retrofits. How does Catz address this?

thanks,
-Alt
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 01:46 AM

Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Installed my HID kit today

We have never had any issues from customers with problems starting a HID kit or with factory wiring not being able to support the power load.

Eric Wong
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 10:13 AM

The Catz HID kits are a series circuit design. The igniter and ballast manufacturer (Matsushita) developed an interesting series of film capacitors to deal increased current draw. EPCOS developed the MKT, MFT, and MKN capacitors for advanced automotive lighting.
The initial start-up is the most current consuming aspect of the HID conversion. Upon ignition, the system should draw less that 15 amps. When the igniter shuts off, usually 3-5 seconds after ignition, the ballast provides a secondary voltage to sustain the arc. The headlight circuit should be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker with at least a 15 amp current rating provided that the fuse or breaker only protects the headlight circuit. If the fuse or breaker protects another circuit, such as foglights or instrument lights for instance, the fuse rating may be required to be a little higher.

We have found that the current draw that is associated with igniter start-up does not seem to have a long term effect on associated headlight wiring or circuitry. We actually see more customers that have issues with high wattage halogen replacement bulbs as they draw their usable current at all times while they are in use.

:hoho

Eric Wong
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Installed my HID kit today

Huh, that's kind of weird, I dealt with a guy named Eric Wong when I was buying a diecast model. You would think it wasn't that common of a name...
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Track Racer

Excellent, thank you very much for the informative post. It looks like Catz has found a better solution than merely relaying the circuit like you need to do with integrated ballast/igniter systems. I think that dealing with the current draw issue electronically rather than electrically is more elegant. Very nice work! Thanks again...

-Alt

Quote:
Originally posted by liteswap

* * * * * * The Catz HID kits are a series circuit design. The igniter and ballast manufacturer (Matsushita) developed an interesting series of film capacitors to deal increased current draw. *EPCOS developed the MKT, MFT, and MKN capacitors for advanced automotive lighting.
The initial start-up is the most current consuming aspect of the HID conversion. *Upon ignition, the system should draw less that 15 amps. *When the igniter shuts off, usually 3-5 seconds after ignition, the ballast provides a secondary voltage to sustain the arc. *The headlight circuit should be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker with at least a 15 amp current rating provided that the fuse or breaker only protects the headlight circuit. *If the fuse or breaker protects another circuit, such as foglights or instrument lights for instance, the fuse rating may be required to be a little higher.
We have found that the current draw that is associated with igniter start-up does not seem to have a long term effect on associated headlight wiring or circuitry. *We actually see more customers that have issues with high wattage halogen replacement bulbs as they draw their usable current at all times while they are in use. *

:hoho[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page