post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Catz Zeta intall/pics

Well...I had a quite lengthy and detailed write up about how every went and what had to be done and when I went to submit it, the internet froze :( so i'll re-type it when i get home tonight...anyways...who has an image uploader site for me to put pics on here?

Thanks,
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Track Racer

Replying to Topic 'Catz Zeta intall/pics'

Tease.

-Alt :sarc
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Track Racer

You can use my site if you want... email the pics to me and I'll get em up for you.

-Alt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Alright...let me try this again :P

I ordered my Catz Zeta system from ebay...got the ATO kit (which is what we need since we dont have H4 bulbs) plus a set of Catz Galaxy White H1 bulbs all for $185.00 shipped...not too bad in my opinion since i've seen the kit with bulbs go for more than $300 on some sites. Now, before I go any farther I must warn that there is some minor wire splicing/connecting involved since our 6's dont use standard size 3/4" ATO fuses, but dont fret...it's not that bad ;)

First...you have to get access to those damn headlights...and it's a pain! The front bumper cover has to come off! No wonder why the owner's book recommends you have an authorized dealer change your bulbs Dont worry though...this isn't that hard and if you're thinking it wont line up right once you try to put it back on...you're wrong...this bumper cover is very, very forgiving compared to others that i've taken off. To remove the bumper cover you have to remove like 22 bolts/screws/plastic screws/plugs:

2 on each side of the top of the grill (one screw and one plastic plug on each side)
3 plastic screws in each fender (6 total)(ones that hold the fender lining to the bumper)
1 screw (2 total) up under the lining on each side holding the bumper cover to the fender
4-5 (8-10 total)small bolts with phillips heads on each side under neath the car holding the plastic undercover stuff to the bumpercover
2 bolts under the car towards the middle holding more plastic to the frame

Once all those are removed, go to one side of the bumper and pull towards you just under the corner of the headlight (under the lowbeam projector); the bumper should snap out about three times. Repeat for the other side. Once you have it snapped out on each side, stand in front of the car and pull the bumper slightly down and towards you...it should slowly come off. DONT FORGET TO UNHOOK THE BUMPER'S MARKER LIGHTS BEFORE YOU START PULLING

Now that the bumper is off you can attack the headlights, and these are pretty easy.

There are two bolts at the top plus 1 little plastic plug, one bolt on the side where the bumper unsnapped (screwed into the white plastic stuff); and finally two bolts under the lamp (a black one and a gold one). Once those are all removed the light should slide right out. Dont forget to unhook your harness first ;)

Now...installing the Zeta system

Since our cars dont have standard size ATO fuses, you cant just plug and play like the directions say. Here's where the modifying comes in. I had to go to Pep Boys and buy 2 ATO inline fuse connectors ($1.99 a piece). Unscrew the cap that is behind the low beam bulb, and take your bulb out. Put the new bulb in and secure it with the spring loaded clip, but dont hook up the red power wire to it yet. Cut it leaving enough room to strip the jacket on each side and splice in that ATO fuse connector. Once that's connected, install the fuse on the Zeta connector they give you in that new fuse socket (you'll get two for each lamp (you can run your high beam and low beam lights with the zeta enhancement but i chose to only run it on my low beams) there will be a red wire with a fuse holder paired with a white wire and a green wire paired with a black wire. It doesn't matter what you use...i just used red/white becaus +/- are more distinguishable. Both red and white wires will end into an ATO fuse (this is the fuse that you plug into the fuse holder you added). Make sure that the side of the fuse with the red or green (depending on what you used) goes into the fuse holder where the power comes in at (So if power comes in from the right, make sure red or green goes on the right). After that, find a good ground for the ballast (I used the painted bolt that is just to the side of the gold bolt that holds the headlight in underneath (dont worry, it's not painted under the washer)) and test... The lights will come on normally and after about 1 second they will get brilliantly brighter! If everything is well...mount your ballasts and hide youre wires. Put everything back together and voila...you've got lights that are VERY VERY VERY close to HID's. Hopefully Alt can get my pics up soon.

Sorry for such a long post guys and gals but I like to be descriptive and thorough :D

~Kyle~
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Track Racer

Thanks for he post man.... I cant believe you have to remove the bumper to change friggin light bulbs!!!! I thought car companies were past doing stupid crap like this? This actually pisses me off... why would Mazda do such a thing?

When I looked under the hood of a 6 recently I paid close attention to the headlight cluster as I plan on installing an HID kit... to me, it didnt look like you had to pull the bumper... why do you have to? it looks like there is plenty room to remove the bulbs from the back.

-Alt
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Track Racer

PS, what pics? You haven't sent any to me yet :)

-Alt
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Well...if you look at the headlight, it is physically impossible to remove the little cap behind the low-beam lightbulb. Also, even if you got it removed, there isn't enough space to perform the work back there (splicing, connecting, etc.) By the way...I emailed you the pics :)

~Kyle
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Track Racer

Are you certain this is how mazda does it? I don't question your abilities, but I just want to make sure that this is Mazda's official recommendation. I'm simply amazed at how stupid of a concept that is!

Anyway, I've made a site for your stuff (and anyone else that want to put up you '6-related pics etc...

http://home.attbi.com/~ashraf.shabudin/mazda6/

-Alt
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

I'm positive...look in your Owner's manual under headlight bulbs or something. You'll eventually come across where the directions to change them should be and it says that. I tried 3 or 4 times to get access to the bulbs without removing the bumper but couldn't find a way. By the way...thanks for posting the pics :)

~Kyle
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Track Racer

ctually i don't have a '6 yet which is why I asked and didn't just go outside and try it myself :)

And it's my pleasure, bro. Let mek now if you want me to add any text or captions to your pics.

-Alt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page