2 fog lights for sport model - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading Topic: 2 fog lights for sport model

ok...pardon my ignorance...in the NA 6's...fully loaded (premium + sports pkg, etc.)...the fog lights are integrated w/ the headlights or are they in the front bumper...me confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Retired Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Absolut Send a message via MSN to Absolut

They are integrated with the headlights on the sports package. If you dont gete the sports package, and want the fog lamps, the dealer can add them on once they receive the car, but it will be in the lower part below the headlights.

Also, in NA, to use the fog lights you have to have your headlights on as well... You cannot drive with just parking lights on w/ fog lamps or without any headlights on and fog lamps. God I hate stupid NA car laws...

Storm Reports Map:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 02:07 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I wondered why if they were fog lamps, I couldn't turn them on unless the headlights were on...thought it was Mazda's doing. That is pretty stupid in my opinion, who came up with that law?

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Retired Moderator

In Sweden it's illegal to use the fog light with low beam. Research has shown that visability is reduced by a few percent and night vision as well. Thus increasing accidents.

That's the reason for this law (no matter how ridiculous it may seem at first...)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 05:21 PM

ok..thanks for informing me :D I guess I'll have to get an extra set installed in the front bumper so - like diesel said - the appearance of the car improves...not that it needs it heh :hoho
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Mazda Guru

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to GreenNuggs
Replying to Topic '2 fog lights for sport model'

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolut
* * * * * * They are integrated with the headlights on the sports package. *If you dont gete the sports package, and want the fog lamps, the dealer can add them on once they receive the car, but it will be in the lower part below the headlights.

Also, in NA, to use the fog lights you have to have your headlights on as well... You cannot drive with just parking lights on w/ fog lamps or without any headlights on and fog lamps. *God I hate stupid NA car laws...[/b]
You wouldn't happen to know if the dealer could install them even if you have the Sports Package? I can't see why it would be a problem, unless they are violating any laws.

BTW, the only cars I have encountered that haven't wired the car so that they only come on with the headlights, were brand new Dodge Durango' and Dodge trucks.

But if they are anything like most cars, there is probably one lead going into the headlight switch (do you just pull the switch out to activate the fog lights?) that activates the fog lights. If someone IDs which wire it is, you can reroute that wire to have the fog lights behave however you'd like. For example, splice it into the parking lights lead to have the fogs automatically come on with the parking lights.

If someone has the tool that you can put over a wire to measure current (whats that called?) we could systematically ID all the leads coming into the headlight switch.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Track Racer

Replying to Topic '2 fog lights for sport model'

Quote:
diesel5599
You did your research the easy way.... I found out the hard way, I got pulled over awhile back for having my rollbar lamps on on my truck while driving on the road. So far it's been pretty much the same from state to state...(not the getting pulled over part ) *[/b]
I have a police station on the street next to mine. I simply asked... :)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Absolut Send a message via MSN to Absolut
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic '2 fog lights for sport model'

I don't see there being a problem with getting the dealer to add an extra set of fog lights below even if you already have them integrated. I don't think its breaking any laws.

The fog light switch is right next to the headlight one. It works just like the headlights do.

I think the way the wiring works is that the fog lights are wired into the headlight switch or lead wire. When that wire is turned on or power is forced through it, the fog lights will also light if the switch is on. I'm sure you can change that with no problem if you want... The tool you're looking for is a voltmeter to measure when power is flowing through the wire or not.

Just remember, if a cop wants to be a dick about it, you can get a ticket for driving with fog lights on but no headlights.

Storm Reports Map:
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 01:26 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

My dealer said it would be no problem installing additional fog lamps, of course he would say that, would you pass on $200? At the dealer the only way they will install them is to integrate them with the parking lights, but it's like Green said, it's very easy to reroute the wire. Voltmeters are relatively more expensive than continuity testers, which is all I usually use when dealing with automotive electronics.
I've pretty much gotten used to having fog lamps only on when the parking lights are on, so I'll probably leave them that way.

Nisan GTR: 2010 Gun Metallic Premium
Mods: Valentine One Radar Detector, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Tint 15% all around, M25 Laser Jammer

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Mazda Guru

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to GreenNuggs

Actually the tool I was thinking about isn't a voltmeter. I already have two voltmeters, but you have to actually make contact with the wire the measure the current. I saw this tool on Horsepower TV where all you have to do is pass the wire between two poles (think of the field goal uprights on an american football field) and the tool measures the current, electro-magnetic forces or something. Actually is this what a continuity tester is?

The fact that there is a separate switch for the lights will make the "fog light mod", as it will be known, even easier to accomplish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page