DIY: Headlight lens replacement Mazda 6 2007 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
DIY: Headlight lens replacement Mazda 6 2007

Hi fellow 6ers,

I recently replaced my headlight lenses, and would like to share with you my success. After much worrying about failure for nearly a year, I decided to just go ahead and do it with faith and courage. My lenses were so opaque that not only was it nasty, but was starting to become a driving hazard. I researched heavily on the matter for a long time, yet no posts were found on the net. So i had to prepare myself before executing this task.

Btw, I tried to restore the headlights on multiple occasions, but the plastic was damaged through and through, and nothing improved.

The job took me approx 8 hours, mainly because i was walking back and forth to my tool box, and was extremely cautious during the separation and replacement phases. It was a pain in the behind but well worth it. I did sacrifice some quality time with the wife, and therefore, she held a grudge against my 6 until i lent her the car for a day - she's at peace with it now.

In a nutshell:

1 - I bought the lenses online
2 - I used a heat gun (black and decker), not the oven technique
3 - I sealed the units with black rtv automotive silicone (Permatex)

I bought the lenses at oemxenonshop for $120.00 shipped to Canada. It was a simple matter of emailing the contact with the car details, and voila, 2 weeks later they were in my possession. They hibernated in my basement for nearly a year.

I decided to use a heat gun instead of the oven because A) they didn't fit in the oven B) I don't want to mess around with the removal of the wiring C) I don't want toxic fumes in the house.

Very simply:

1) I secured the unit to the table with zip ties / tie wraps, lens facing sky.

2) I removed the retaining clips

3) I ran the heat gun across the entire seam over and over gradually for 5 minutes approx

4) With a long flathead resting on the edge of the lens, I started pushing upwards while still running the heat gun along the side seams of the lens.

5) As it started to separate, i kept pushing and heating the adhesive until the lens was completely loose.

* I had to be careful as the stretched glue was going to fall onto the insides parts. I used my fingers to pull that away.

6) Dismantled the parts secured to the removed lens, and refit them back onto the new lens.

7) Removed the old gunk from the base of the unit and applied the fresh silicone in the groove. I didn't remove all of the old adhesive, but as much as possible. Flattened the adhesive in the groove by sliding a flathead in the groove at the end.

8) Inserted the new lens and pressed in a bit. Then distributed the excess silicone back into the gaps that needed some to complete the seal. Re-attached the clips.

9) Back on the 6, then big grin with beer in hand.

* I discovered that alcohol safely removed very easily some silicone smears on the lights and body of car.

Without further ado, here are some pictures. Good luck and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1301
Size:	1,007.4 KB
ID:	209465   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	753.1 KB
ID:	209473   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	1,017.1 KB
ID:	209481   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	968.8 KB
ID:	209489   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	1,001.7 KB
ID:	209497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	1,009.4 KB
ID:	209505   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	988.0 KB
ID:	209513   Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	846.0 KB
ID:	209521   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	755.6 KB
ID:	209529   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	209537  

DrFeelGood likes this.

Mazda SITH
The Following User Says Thank You to Vader6 For This Useful Post:
Mazda6SR (06-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Thanked 3,981 Times in 2,797 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Nice write-up. They looks 100x better! If you have links to the new lenses you bought I'm sure people would appreciate it.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Hi ByaKuya, and thanks for the kind words! The difference is even more noticeable with the old headlights on the car before the repair. It's as if my 6 got new eye-glasses! Hahaha.

Anyway, as per your request, here is the direct link to the lenses, which also shows other components for sale.
I can't post links at the moment due to account restrictions so you just need to add the "www" at the beginning and the "html" at the end.....and change the DOT to a "." :

oemxenonshopDOTcom/Mazda-6-Xenon-Front-Headlight-Problems-Ballast-Bulb-Igniter-OEM-HID-Replacement

Mazda SITH
The Following User Says Thank You to Vader6 For This Useful Post:
Mazda6SR (06-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent work! I debated doing this as well but after a few rounds with wet sanding and polishing I was able to mostly bring mine back. Bright lights are much safer and it makes your already sharp looking rider even nicer.
Vader6 likes this.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Thanks so much for the flattering words Dr Feel Good! Big grin on my face. I'm super proud of my 6....can't find a suitable replacement! Just can't find good looking and affordable v6 mtx sedans these days, so I'm keeping this baby. Thx for boosting my pride lol. Cheers

Mazda SITH
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Vader6 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
So far no fogging. I'll update you after a few rain sessions. Man I'm so glad i did them. I encourage anyone to do the replacement...it's worth every effort.

Mazda SITH
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
Great to know! I want to put hid optics in my 04 wagon and would need to separate the lenses to do so. It's good to have a solid write up like this.
Vader6 likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Great to know! I want to put hid optics in my 04 wagon and would need to separate the lenses to do so. It's good to have a solid write up like this.
I did this conversion in my 04 as well. I went with the DDM slimline kit with 4500k @50w and am completely satisfied. I did not open the cases and am running them in the halogen projectors. I have never been flashed and doing a test with my wife (driving towards each other, she in my car and me in hers) tells me there is no real variation from any other car on the road.

In the parking garage next to a new IS250, Cadillac Escalade or Acura TL I can tell my cut-off is not as clean but I am completely happy given the level of work and investment.
waughoo and Vader6 like this.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Thanks very much for the kind words, I'm glad it'll be of use. Good luck mate!

Mazda SITH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page