DIY: 2016 Mazda6 Sub and Amp Install (Non-Bose) - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't say without any issues though, lol. It did take me about an hour to get my power cable through the rubber boot in the firewall...but it was a 4 gauge. Then when I went to hook everything to the capacitor, the screw set ring terminals I had gotten since I hate crimp style, were too thick and I could only use one per terminal...otherwise the screw wasn't long enough...so I ended up with a crimp on and a screw set on each terminal....then I didn't have a ring terminal or spade terminal big enough to fit the screw I chose for the ground....so I had to just strip the wire and split the copper around the screw for the chassis ground....then once I turned it on the remote turn on didn't work....so I had many issues....fortunately none so bad as to prevent me from getting it installed...haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
I have no noise in my install but I only have a powered subwoofer using speaker input. Overall I'm happy how my system turned out.

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
I have no noise in my install but I only have a powered subwoofer using speaker input. Overall I'm happy how my system turned out.
jgreer and I only have noise coming out of our aftermarket speakers that are amped. It also only comes out of our tweeters so it is a very high frequency. My sub is quiet as can be for noise which is pretty normal since it doesn't have a very wide range of frequencies going to it and noise is 'generally' higher frequencies.

Wow, Spiffy. It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I never like trying to get through the existing firewall grommets so if I can find a spot, I drill a new hole and use a firewall pass-through. Sometimes there isn't a nice spot to do that and I am forced to cut into an existing one though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Learners License

finally got some decent quality pictures of the install. the first pic is from the other night and shows the LOC hooked up, the one of the amp is looking in from the back seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161106_221213.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	196274   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161108_084201.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	196282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161108_084235.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	196290  
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy9999 View Post
finally got some decent quality pictures of the install. the first pic is from the other night and shows the LOC hooked up, the one of the amp is looking in from the back seat.
Is your power wire too thick going into the amp? Looks like it's twisted off to the side of the amp connector? If it is.. That's not safe.. But I can't really tell what that extra wire is?

Looking good otherwise... But... How does it sound?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Learners License

@toy4x yes it is, which I found strange since the amp says it will take up to 4 gauge. I did trim the ground wire since I knew it was going to be too thick. With how I have everything secure that wire won't touch anything, but when I get some time I'll trim that off....as far as sound goes it is not as loud in the 6 as it was in the 3, but still sounds great. I'm not sure if the difference in volume is due to just the car being bigger in general or if it's the acoustics within the car, or it could possibly the the difference in how much the stock speakers added since I had the premium bose system in my 3 and the bottom of the line radio and speakers in the 6...whichever one it is I still am glad to have my bass back.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:20 PM

I would try something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SPT52.../dp/B001H4Y5O0

Easy to install, looks professional, no wire cutting... I hate cutting wires to make fit.

Last edited by toy4x; 11-08-2016 at 12:45 PM.
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Learners License

If I had the time to get it in....or if I could get it without my wife going berserk I might would do that....but alas neither is in the cards at this time...haha
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy9999 View Post
If I had the time to get it in....or if I could get it without my wife going berserk I might would do that....but alas neither is in the cards at this time...haha
Yep, wife hates when surprise packages for me arrive... Lol

flyandi likes this.
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
I recently did an audio upgrade on my 6, and I scanned this thread...and would note a couple observations. No need to drill through firewall for power wire. There's a huge factory grommet with oem harness running through it. Just poke hole through rubber and feed your cable through there....tight, but doable. Not only does this eliminate making an additional and unnecessary hole in your car, it allows you to follow the oem harness with the cable facilitating zip tieing the cable to the oem harness here and there, making for a professional quality install. The oem harness is now supporting your extra cable and it only cost you a few zip ties.

as far as finding a good ground, if you actually remove all the side trim, and the rear seat bottom and side bolsters, instead of lifting it up and shoving the wire underneath, you will find a few very suitable ground bolts in the perfect area where the rear seat transitions into the trunk.

I got a small, marine grade, compact class D sub and mounted it to the metal panel under the rear deck, near the rear of the seat back. keeps it up high for good airflow and out of the way for cargo hauling.
Baydestrian650 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mach1219 For This Useful Post:
Baydestrian650 (03-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page